Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Self Titled Album Elimination (round 9)

Started by krook, Jun 02, 2016, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krook

Needles and Pins was eliminated in round 8.
I hate White Pony.

rainnyx4

Hexagram and Bloody Cape are perhaps the most overrated songs in this band's catalog by this board.

illthrowROCKS@U

I went with Hexagram here. Again, Bloody Cape is probably my favorite song from any band ever.

This is the correct top three, though. These three are all in my top 5 Deftones songs and are a big part of why ST is my favorite.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

ZND84

Sorry to see Needles and Pins was eliminated, that's my favorite Deftones song of all time. S/T is the real shit though, i love this album.

Inkblades

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jun 02, 2016, 07:44 PM
Hexagram and Bloody Cape are perhaps the most overrated songs in this band's catalog by this board.

No, Hexagram is rated perfectly. And not just here. Everywhere.

E-Money

ZapZaqZap

Quote from: E-Money on Jun 03, 2016, 02:37 AM
Anniversary > bloody cape and hex..

u sure u ain't hittin' that crack pipe a li'l too hard?

E-Money

Quote from: ZapZaqZap on Jun 03, 2016, 03:01 AM
Quote from: E-Money on Jun 03, 2016, 02:37 AM
Anniversary > bloody cape and hex..

u sure u ain't hittin' that crack pipe a li'l too hard?

Haha I think so.. I just love that track. My favorite on the record. Such a powerful song.

rainnyx4

Quote from: Inkblades on Jun 03, 2016, 02:33 AM

Yeah sure, it's a great song if you enjoy listening to one riff repeated over and over again for 90% of a song.

LG95

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jun 03, 2016, 03:29 AM

Yeah sure, it's a great song if you enjoy listening to one riff repeated over and over again for 90% of a song.
::)
I could float here forever

Cullision

You're obsessed with this whole "laziness" schtick. Music isn't always about complexity but the emotions that it evokes. Deftones especially have always been more about emotion than technical ability.

nicklav

I guess you don't like BQAD

rainnyx4

BQAD has three distinct parts to it, with some occasional variation in how the riffs are played to spice it up a little. Hexagram has like 2 and a half at best and uses that lazy tactic of playing one of the riffs clean in place of a proper bridge. Sorry guys, but when you've got more than half a brain, it's hard not to dissect music and look at it from an intellectual perspective.

In order for music to have lasting appeal for me, it needs to be both visceral and intellectually appealing. Leaning too far in one direction often leads to pretension (see any number of shitty prog-metal bands) and going too far in the other runs the risk of creating something that lacks longevity (see any number of shitty pop artists).

True, this band can convey more sentiment in one note than many other bands can do in their entire career, but their downfall has always been their laziness when it comes to technical songwriting. The band has admitted as much in interviews. I just want them to meet their full potential.

Lots of times I hear this band come up with an awesome idea for a song, but then fail to take it to the creative depths that they should have. Hexagram is a perfect example. The riffs in that song are awesome, but you can only play that one riff so many times before it becomes tiresome. If I was producing the band I would have had them play off a little more with that fill during the chorus and morph it or segue it into a proper bridge. That would've been problem solved for me.

hi man

Everyone thinks they are professional producer nowadays..

Inkblades

90% is an over-exaggeration. That riff is more like 70% throughout the song. The chorus riff, which has some variation in it, breaks it up. Frank's effects also add some dimension in the verses to make it different than the intro/bridge. And then the outro riff also switches it up. And by the way, you're not intellectually superior to us plebs because you don't enjoy a song that we do, so get off that condescending bullshit ASAP. Also, your argument would maybe be less baffling if you didn't love a song like WHTY? How is that song's riffs any less repetitive than Hexagram? They aren't. No way, no how. Not to mention that the riffage on Hexagram blows those bland, toothless and extremely simplistic riffs on WHTY? outta the fucking water.

E-Money

I always thought Steph was pretty sick on hexagram. Wish Frank was a little louder tho. Love how loud he is when they play it live. I remember last year when I saw them play at the observatory in SoCal. They played hexagram and I was standing next to a guy that didn't know much about the band.. They played hex and it blew him away. That's a beast of a song live.

rainnyx4

Quote from: Inkblades on Jun 03, 2016, 11:16 PM

90% is an over-exaggeration. That riff is more like 70% throughout the song. The chorus riff, which has some variation in it, breaks it up. Frank's effects also add some dimension in the verses to make it different than the intro/bridge. And then the outro riff also switches it up. And by the way, you're not intellectually superior to us plebs because you don't enjoy a song that we do, so get off that condescending bullshit ASAP. Also, your argument would maybe be less baffling if you didn't love a song like WHTY? How is that song's riffs any less repetitive than Hexagram? They aren't. No way, no how. Not to mention that the riffage on Hexagram blows those bland, toothless and extremely simplistic riffs on WHTY? outta the fucking water.

Just listened to Hexagram. The choruses take up about 53 seconds out of a 265 second song. That's about 80% for the verse riff, so we were both off by about 10%. But that's still a lot of fucking time to play one riff. And the variation on the riff you're talking about isn't much at all. All he does is play one of the chords for a longer period of time. And the other thing that detracts from Hexagram is that Steph overuses those drone chords on S/T, which makes his excessive use of them on Hexagram tedious with repeated listens of the album. It would've been OK if he had done it on Hexagram and maybe like one other song on the album, but it seems like he does it on like every fucking song on S/T. It got tiring real quick.

Just calculated the riffage for WHTY?. They spend about 50% of their time on the song on the verse (which I would guess sounds about average for most songs) and actually a lot of that time is spent on the intro and outro drum beats/atmospherics. So how is that a more repetitive song than Hexagram? The other great thing about WHTY? is that they had never really done a song that had that kind of style (outside of their SUPER early stuff). A Deftones song with a dub flair, when are you ever going to hear that again? WHTY? was a total curveball. It's also about 30 seconds shorter than Hexagram, so it doesn't run as much of a risk of overstaying its welcome.

Like I said, S/T had a really repetitive overall sound with that near constant use of drone chords. I think I would've been OK with Hexagram had they either shortened it up or just done more with it to add some variety and fully flesh it out. I remember when those early promos of the album were floating around and there was a version of Hexagram that was like half the length. If you're going to make a song that basically has two parts, it should probably be short and to the point (a la Street Carp). Especially when you write an album and a particular and obvious sound is repeated throughout it.

My only problem with this band is when I perceive them to have gotten lazy in the songwriting process (rehashing/overusing certain sounds/styles, writing songs that lack enough thought and variety, etc.) (again, the band has admitted that they have been lazy in the past, especially during the S/T era). They combine all of my favorite types of music and have virtually unfettered artistic integrity. I just wish they would put a little more effort in sometimes, and Hexagram is a prime example of that.

illthrowROCKS@U

I listen to Deftones because of the raw emotion. I don't care if they're repetitive, that's what they do. The emotion that Hexagram invokes in me is much greater than that of AOAUE, which does almost nothing for me. Hexagram makes me want to blow out my speakers and scream at the top of my lungs. And the riff, although repetitive, is unique and just sounds plain awesome.

I do love WHTY? though, I think it's amazing.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

rainnyx4

That's fine, if that works for you. But for me, I want this band to be a little more ambitious on average. When I hear a song like Hexagram and an album like S/T, all I can think about is how much wasted potential these guys have.

Inkblades

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jun 04, 2016, 04:05 AM
Just calculated the riffage for WHTY?. They spend about 50% of their time on the song on the verse (which I would guess sounds about average for most songs) and actually a lot of that time is spent on the intro and outro drum beats/atmospherics. So how is that a more repetitive song than Hexagram? The other great thing about WHTY? is that they had never really done a song that had that kind of style (outside of their SUPER early stuff). A Deftones song with a dub flair, when are you ever going to hear that again? WHTY? was a total curveball. It's also about 30 seconds shorter than Hexagram, so it doesn't run as much of a risk of overstaying its welcome.

Mostly because the WHTY? riffs are boring as hell, one-note and unbelievably simplistic. I'll take Hexagram's two awesome riffs (your words, not mine - but I do agree, they are awesome) used frequently as opposed to WHTY?'s three uninspiring riffs. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm actually listening to WHTY? right now, and the music in it is quite annoying. I guess it is different for Deftones, but different doesn't automatically equal good. If I wanted to hear a song that sounds like The Police, I'd go listen to The Police. It's just not what I want from Deftones. I want Deftones from Deftones. I read an interview with Abe recently where he said his sons call Deftones "Dadtones". They HAD to come up with that name after hearing WHTY?.