Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Vinyl collection?

Started by sharinglungs, Dec 11, 2016, 02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharinglungs

Hey guys, long time since I've posted a topic here but I was curious as to what you guys have for a vinyl collection of what you have in general?

Today was my first time buying vinyl. I do not own a record player yet, but I will in the future..

The start to my collection, after hitting the local record store, which I didn't think or even knew existed is this :

Pink floyd : dark side of the moon (seems to be a 1973 pressing)

Deftones : around the fur

I'm thinking of collecting the Deftones albums, I know I can order the white Gore vinyl on Amazon.

What vinyl records, Deftones or not, would you recommend as must own vinyl?

illthrowROCKS@U

I have a lot of vinyl, mostly modern stuff. Every Deftones album including Bsides and the Covers albums. Some Chevelle. Every Steak Number Eight. Lots of Porcupine Tree, Rosetta, Tool, Pink Floyd, Incubus, If These Trees Could Talk, Oh Hiroshima, Marilyn Manson, Mars Volta, And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Deafheaven, MGMT, Starfucker, Of Montreal, The Ocean, Immortal Technique, Tech 9, Bone Thugs, Kendrick Lamar, ISIS, Palms, Crosses, HUM, Callisto, At the Drive In, Blind Melon, Dream Theater, Flaming Lips, Glassjaw, Minus the Bear, Queens of the Stone Age, This Town Needs Guns, Fall of Troy.

I also have lots of randomers from my Vinyl club from bands I had never heard of, or wouldn't have otherwise bought their records. The club is Vinyl Me Please, and it's great and cheap. Found a lot of good stuff from it.

I started collecting about 7 years ago and never looked back. I've got a few hundred at this point. The only physical item I own that I'm "proud" of. I've never been one to hold much importance in "things," but more so experiences and people. Vinyl is my thing, tho.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

sharinglungs

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Dec 11, 2016, 02:40 AM
I have a lot of vinyl, mostly modern stuff. Every Deftones album including Bsides and the Covers albums. Some Chevelle. Every Steak Number Eight. Lots of Porcupine Tree, Rosetta, Tool, Pink Floyd, Incubus, If These Trees Could Talk, Oh Hiroshima, Marilyn Manson, Mars Volta, And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Deafheaven, MGMT, Starfucker, Of Montreal, The Ocean, Immortal Technique, Tech 9, Bone Thugs, Kendrick Lamar, ISIS, Palms, Crosses, HUM, Callisto, At the Drive In, Blind Melon, Dream Theater, Flaming Lips, Glassjaw, Minus the Bear, Queens of the Stone Age, This Town Needs Guns, Fall of Troy.

I also have lots of randomers from my Vinyl club from bands I had never heard of, or wouldn't have otherwise bought their records. The club is Vinyl Me Please, and it's great and cheap. Found a lot of good stuff from it.

I started collecting about 7 years ago and never looked back. I've got a few hundred at this point. The only physical item I own that I'm "proud" of. I've never been one to hold much importance in "things," but more so experiences and people. Vinyl is my thing, tho.

That's a pretty cool list man, i'm listening to Good Kid, mAAd city right now because of a reviewer on youtube lol...

Also.. Mars Volta... WHY THE FUCK is Deloused so god damn expensive? Everything i've seen online is like $100-$300 or more.

I've made a small Wishlist on Amazon for albums that I hope to get at some point... damn trying to buy a house getting in the way of shit.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: sharinglungs on Dec 11, 2016, 03:18 AM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Dec 11, 2016, 02:40 AM

That's a pretty cool list man, i'm listening to Good Kid, mAAd city right now because of a reviewer on youtube lol...

Also.. Mars Volta... WHY THE FUCK is Deloused so god damn expensive? Everything i've seen online is like $100-$300 or more.

I've made a small Wishlist on Amazon for albums that I hope to get at some point... damn trying to buy a house getting in the way of shit.

Yeah man, Deloused is one of my most prized possessions, along with Holywood, Heliocentric, and a signed copy of Source Tags and Codes. I think everything else I own is fairly even-priced, between like $20-50. I think it cost me a hundred back when to get Deloused. It's the original pressing silver edition, but even the most recent black pressing goes for that much these days or even more. I have all the TMV albums except Frances, because that is just wayyy too expensive. I bought Amputechture when it was cheap, like $30, but now it's about 75+, same with Bedlam.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Crazylegs

In recent years i bought almost exclusively vinyl records, but this year i've gone back to cds mostly. The prices are becoming ridiculous for vinyl, even used. It's not that many years ago you could go into a second hand store and find some great used records for free almost. I remember picking up used versions (in nice condition) of "band on the run" by Paul McCartney and the Wings and "rain dogs" by Tom Waits for almost nothing. Today if you find those in a second hand store, they're probably going to be more expensive than a full price cd.

Some labels are fucking ridiculous with their prices. Especially ones that release music i really love, like southern lord and neurot. So just on principle I've started demonstrably buying cds instead whenever i find the vinyl records overpriced. And why not, cds are still more convenient, and most of the time also better sounding.

It's basic commerce i guess. The industry is just trying to profit on the resurgence.

sharinglungs

I don't think i'll be buying any more records from the local record shop, I can find the same albums on Amazon for half the price.. I was excited yesterday and didn't care about the prices.. ATF was $39.99 and the USED copy of Dark Side of the Moon was $17.99. Those are Canadian prices. Amazon I can get them for about $22+$3 shipping.

defTHE1s

I also have a wish list of some vinyls (mainly from Deftones, Rammstein and Cult of Luna among others).
I only have Around the Fur and a Rammstein single, "Ich Tu Dir Weh" on vinyl, but since I have no player, I might ask...
Which player is the best recommendation? What are the main features to look at when buying one?

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Crazylegs on Dec 11, 2016, 09:01 AM
In recent years i bought almost exclusively vinyl records, but this year i've gone back to cds mostly. The prices are becoming ridiculous for vinyl, even used. It's not that many years ago you could go into a second hand store and find some great used records for free almost. I remember picking up used versions (in nice condition) of "band on the run" by Paul McCartney and the Wings and "rain dogs" by Tom Waits for almost nothing. Today if you find those in a second hand store, they're probably going to be more expensive than a full price cd.

Some labels are fucking ridiculous with their prices. Especially ones that release music i really love, like southern lord and neurot. So just on principle I've started demonstrably buying cds instead whenever i find the vinyl records overpriced. And why not, cds are still more convenient, and most of the time also better sounding.

It's basic commerce i guess. The industry is just trying to profit on the resurgence.

Yeah, vinyl is definitely not for casuals. You're either into vinyl or you're not. To me, CDs are a complete waste, because I have Amazon Prime and the unlimited streaming option, so CDs are just completely worthless to me. Anything I can buy on CD I can listen to for free on Prime. Vinyl is just for fun. Some people collect cards, or stamps, or whatever else, and I collect vinyl. If you're into it for sound quality or for the money, vinyl is not for you.

It's more of just a nice conversation piece. It's great for parties. People can come over, look at the collection, check out the artwork, and listen to great music. It feels more "intimate" to me than just shuffling a playlist, and really gets people involved in the process.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: defTHE1s on Dec 13, 2016, 04:34 PM
I also have a wish list of some vinyls (mainly from Deftones, Rammstein and Cult of Luna among others).
I only have Around the Fur and a Rammstein single, "Ich Tu Dir Weh" on vinyl, but since I have no player, I might ask...
Which player is the best recommendation? What are the main features to look at when buying one?

I've got Vertikal and Vertikal II, they're fantastic fucking records.

As for some good turntables, I really like audio technica for value. I combine mine with some Alesis M1 Active speakers. The low end is really nice and it also gives me lots of room for customization of sound.

It's also worth it to invest in a cleaner, a brush, and a stylus gell cleaner. I use a Nitty Gritty record cleaner, and a Zerodust stylus cleaner. Any brush will do for daily use.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

defTHE1s

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Dec 13, 2016, 10:12 PM
Quote from: defTHE1s on Dec 13, 2016, 04:34 PM

I've got Vertikal and Vertikal II, they're fantastic fucking records.

As for some good turntables, I really like audio technica for value. I combine mine with some Alesis M1 Active speakers. The low end is really nice and it also gives me lots of room for customization of sound.

It's also worth it to invest in a cleaner, a brush, and a stylus gell cleaner. I use a Nitty Gritty record cleaner, and a Zerodust stylus cleaner. Any brush will do for daily use.
Thanks for the advises there!
So, it's better to invest in a worth and decent turntable than those more "commercial"? There are some out there that are like a briefcase and some of them have USB ports, and are around $140 - $160. I can't recall the brands but, it's nothing too known or commercial...

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Eros TBA

AFI 'Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes' (limited edition colored)
AFI 'Very Proud Of Ya' (limited edition colored)
AFI 'Black Sails In the Sunset'
AFI 'Crash Love'
At the Drive In 'Relationship Of Command'
Bad Religion 'Recipe For Hate'
Bad Religion 'True North'
Black Flag 'Slip It In'
Cave In 'Anomalies' Vol. 1
Deftones 'Adrenaline'
Deftones 'Around The Fur'
Deftones 'White Pony'
Deftones 'Saturday Night Wrist'
Deftones 'Diamond Eyes'
Deftones 'Koi No Yokan'
Deftones 'Covers'
Deftones 'Adrenaline Live' Vol. 1
The Dillinger Escape Plan 'Miss Machine'
The Dillinger Escape Plan 'One Of Us Is The Killer'
Every Time I Die 'Ex Lives'
Gallows 'Gallows'
Glassjaw 'Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence'
H2O 'Thicker Than Water' (limited edition colored)
H2O 'Use Your Voice' (limited edition red)
Misfits 'Misfits'
No Use For A Name 'The Daily Grind'
Omar Rodriguez Lopez 'Solargambler'
Omar Rodriguez Lopez and Jeremy Michael Ward
Pennywise 'All Or Nothing'
Refused 'The Shape Of Punk To Come'
Rise Against 'Appeal To Reason'
Rise Against 'Revolutions Per Minute'
Rise Against 'Endgame'
Rise Against 'Long Forgotten Songs - Bsides and Covers 2000 - 2013'
Sublime 'Jah Won't Pay The Bills' (limited edition colored)
Thursday 'No Devolucion'
Terror 'Lowest Of The Low'

Singles
Deftones 'Rocket Skates'
H2O 'New York City'
H2O 'D.C' (limited edition white)
H2O 'California'

as of 01/2017