Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What is this?

Started by sharinglungs, Jun 03, 2023, 06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharinglungs

https://easyupload.io/r8styx

Chino played this on Mixlr last night.

RaptureWS

I mean........that really sounds like the band.

Some people on reddit are saying the cleans don't sound like Chino. I believe it is 100% him though. They are no strangers to vocal effects on albums. To me, it sounds like the end of a song. The classic Deftones Abe and Stef strumming and crashing together. The way the scream floats on tops of the signature *huge* wall of sound. My bet is it's 100% Deftones, and that's a part of the end of a track.

The more I listen to it, than more convinced I am too.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Vesanic

I don't think that's Deftones. More Palms?

EDIT: Is his mixlr off again? I can't find it

RaptureWS

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 04, 2023, 01:40 AM
I don't think that's Deftones. More Palms?

EDIT: Is his mixlr off again? I can't find it

I was pretty certain that was Deftones from the first clip. Especially the way the drums and the guitar crashed together which was presumably the end of the song. But then I heard the other clip, and it sounded way more like Palms. Either way I'm stoked. Hope this little snippet means we see something else from Chino this year.

Inkblades

He's back on Mixlr? I didn't get an email notification so if he is, it must be a new account?

RaptureWS

Quote from: Inkblades on Jun 04, 2023, 08:19 PM
He's back on Mixlr? I didn't get an email notification so if he is, it must be a new account?

I guess he was...... I messaged the OP to get the link to his new mixlr account. By the time they wrote me back they said it had been deactivated/disappeared.

So yeah, had a mixlr, deactivated after the Ohms fiasco. Had a new mixlr, and now randomly missing/deactivated after this clip shows up.

Inkblades

He was still doing streams after Ohms came out. He stopped doing it after the "outta pocket" comment about Sergio blew up.

nicklav

Man, it would be sweet if they dropped a surprise album.

Inkblades

I think its Deftones too btw, the synths sound very Frankish to me. The snippet is sick though, Chino's scream is A1.

sharinglungs

https://youtube.com/shorts/BvyGZjZX7gk?feature=share

Another longer clip, worse quality but it's apparently the same track? I could hardly make it out on my phone.

Inkblades

^ Yup, I definitely hear a Stephen riff in that poor sound clip. Synths sound crazy!

Vesanic

I'm going to go with the chance that it's Deftones based on the fact Chino deactivated his account. It does sound like Palms to me though.

Sleeping_Giant

Reddit guys got 1 min long version. Very interesting sound, I think I hear typical Frank and Stef. If that's indeed their new material then my god, these guys never get old. They made me horny as fuck.

RaptureWS

I am almost certain he played multiple tracks! This clip was played 29 minutes in to the stream  https://easyupload.io/ztscg9

This clip was played 58 minutes in to the stream https://easyupload.io/yqaozh

They sound like totally different tracks as well. They are leaning HARD into the blackgaze style on these tracks. Gives me some Deafheaven 'Sunbather' vibes. Wow!

Inkblades

Now I'm not so sure if its Deftones, Palms or a Chino collabo with another artist. If it is Deftones, Frank is very high up in the mix. There's a lot of songs I want Frank higher on but I'm not sure if Stef or the other guys would want the synths to be this prominent. Interestingly Chino's clean vocals seem pretty buried in the mix. Reminds me of that old story that he wanted his vocals on White Pony to be buried like My Bloody Valentine and Terry and the rest of the band said no way lol.

Can we also confirm this was a couple nights ago or not? Some people on reddit were saying it was before he got rid of the Mixlr and I'm thinking that's more likely the case and somebody just decided to leak it now. Like I said, I definitely would have gotten a notification and I know some of you would have as well.

Vesanic

That other clip is definitely not Deftones. I could be way off obviously, I just don't see them going that road.

Vesanic

Quote from: Inkblades on Jun 07, 2023, 03:46 AM
Can we also confirm this was a couple nights ago or not? Some people on reddit were saying it was before he got rid of the Mixlr and I'm thinking that's more likely the case and somebody just decided to leak it now. Like I said, I definitely would have gotten a notification and I know some of you would have as well.

Ditto and I didn't get a notification either. I still believe this is an older recording. Also I thought he had erased his account.

Then again I tuned into these sessions regularly and don't remember anything like this.

Bossa

Definitely agree with both sides of suggestion that there was multiple songs played, and that the longest clip was most likely Palms or even more likely Saudade. The first clip definitely gives me Deftones vibes though

GlimmeringMaggit

Colour me sceptical. He deleted his mixlr soon after the outta pocket screenshot was posted online, and nobody would have received a notification even if he'd made a new account under the same name. There was no Twitter post.

Aside from a couple of brief moments, those clips don't sound that Deftones-y to me. They've never been ones to play on a genre as blatantly as that and I don't see them starting now. Palms would be a better bet if we're hearing some Chino vocal (though I'm sure there's another vocalist heard in one or two of those clips — something in the cadence of his aggressive vocal that's different to Chino's).
Formerly LG95

RaptureWS

Quote from: GlimmeringMaggit on Jun 07, 2023, 11:50 AM
Aside from a couple of brief moments, those clips don't sound that Deftones-y to me. They've never been ones to play on a genre as blatantly as that and I don't see them starting now.

You make a good point.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility Deftones recorded a track with that blackgaze metal vibe. I think of something liked 'Doomed User' being sonically different than anything else they've done. Then again, these new clips are a much more extreme departure from anything they've ever recorded. All in all I probably agree with you on that track.+

I still believe the first clip we heard is likely Deftones though (16 second one). It sounds like a classic Deftones ending with the guitars and drums crashing together (endings like Change, Tempest, P/T, Error). Regardless, it's awesome to know there is something brewing. Whether it is Palms, Saudade, Deftones or something else entirely I am stoked!