Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Nietzsche=Eros=Deftones

Started by wither-I, Feb 02, 2008, 12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

Epigram exerted from "beyond good and evil" by Nietzsche.

-"Christianity gave Eros poison to drink: -he did not die from it, but degenerated into a vice."  8)

"coming into the nearness of distance"

theshadeisatool

deftonesboy

Quote from: wither-I on Feb 02, 2008, 12:06 AM

-"Christianity gave Eros poison to drink: -he did not die from it, but degenerated into a vice."  8)

I cant help but feel guys that we are reading into the "EROS" title a bit too much.....

You know when Chino is asked why Eros? His response will be something along the lines of -

"Well i was wasted one night and I heard someone say Eros and thought it sounded cool..... thats it"

Frankz0r

Quote from: deftonesboy on Feb 02, 2008, 12:20 AM
I cant help but feel guys that we are reading into the "EROS" title a bit too much.....

You know when Chino is asked why Eros? His response will be something along the lines of -

"Well i was wasted one night and I heard someone say Eros and thought it sounded cool..... thats it"

Best Eros-related post ever.

wither-I

maybe the = signs threw you off. im not hinting to any superstious lineage between the three...i just think nietzsche is a wonderful writer and philosopher, and in such close present accordance with the new deftones record coming out- being as it is "Eros", i desired to share with you all a similar topic... just thought it was cool.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

White Wrist

Eros is..................everything!

Deftones!

mikau

Hidalgo

yea, hah, that is exactly what he's gonna say. you know your Chino

theshadeisatool

Quote from: mikau on Feb 02, 2008, 07:24 AM
what does vice mean?

In that sense it means like immorality or a bad life style - drugs, prostitution, etc. Opposite to a virtue,

theshadeisatool

I am actually coming round the the title now, it's simple and stands out. I think it's better than 'Saturday Night Wrist ' as a title now. That really doesn't seem that catchy anymore...

13hourstoparadise

I believe the idea, or the term Eros with the band is regarding 433 Eros. The 13 mile astriod, the meaning behind it must be all there own... Or, as rumors says, sexual.

neurotic

quit thinking deftones are tool.
you guys think waaaay too much about this title (which will probably change eventually)
...never trust the obvious...

mikau

no it won't, they even have a website for it.

and deftones album names can have some ammounts of meaning: "there's a lot of different references for White Pony. One of them is a cocaine reference and there's a lot of stuff...have you ever heard stuff like in dream books that if you dream about a white pony then you're having a sexual dream? There's a lot stuff that kinda goes around it. And there's an old song [that goes] "ride the white horse." That's obviously a drug reference song. I just kinda dug it."

13hourstoparadise

bloody_liver

chino's actually very intilegent, even more so than u would think through interviews

13hourstoparadise

I dont' think anyone was impling that he wasn't...

weakcure

Quote from: bloody_liver on Feb 03, 2008, 08:20 AM

chino's actually very intilegent, even more so than u would think through interviews

Yeah, I think Chino deserves more credit when it comes to intellect and creativity. He has a very original way of approaching things, but beyond that, a lot of his lyrics are pure gold; they're so complex and metaphorical. And not to discredit Deftones fans in any way, but I feel like if Chino did come with the title for whatever reason (say from Nietzsche), he wouldn't get much of a reaction. I don't know if he'd actually say something like, "Yeah, well, I was reading Nietzsche one day after finishing Heidegger and thought Eros would make a pretty good name and shit." The real meaning or intention behind the title may not be made obvious... but then again, it might just be the product of a random thought.

Either way, it's totally badass that you made a connection with a Deftones' album name and Nietzsche. Kudos.

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: Frankz0r on Feb 02, 2008, 12:22 AM

Best Eros-related post ever.

oh yeah.

Anyway, good research Wither-I.