Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Punk/Ska/Reggae/Dub

Started by squealing like a pig, Apr 02, 2008, 03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squealing like a pig

Who here is into a bit of punk/ska/raggae? Tbh only just started getting into it a few months ago...

my personal British faves...

www.myspace.com/theapostates

http://www.myspace.com/thekingblues 

www.myspace.com/sonicboomsix 

www.myspace.com/suicidebid 

oldgentlovecraft

I love A Wilhelm Scream

lithium

check out bargain music
💩

bright lights, big city

grew up on punk and ska. i totally digged the 3rd wave of ska or whatever it's called in the mid-90s. Bosstones, RBF, catch 22, Aquabats, LTJ, mad caddies, mu330, new streetlight manifesto is pretty grand as well
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

ignore the fashion

i too grew up on punk/ska, but there are only a small handful of bands from that genre that i still like and listen to.

those bands being...

nofx
pennywise
voodoo glow skulls
the offspring (old stuff anything after smash they got a little too poppy for me)
rancid
link 80
buck-o-nine

Zevaka

i was just watchingDance Hall Crashers live DVD

I'm more post-punk kid, though

theis

social distortion
against me!
bad religion
reel big fish
sublime
dropkick murphys

love those.. more to come.

bright lights, big city

forgot about sublime. and actually the new flogging molly and pennywise cd's are very good.
who knows, maybe they'll get me away from metal and hardcore music for once and bring me back to my roots
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Deadradio

Ah, I remember the Ska of the 90's days.

Those bands used to come to Chicago by the shitloads.

theis

dropkick murphys and against me! are playing tomorrow night in copenhagen...and nobody fucking wants to go see them with me.

fucking bummer. i'm thinking about going anyway.

Jacob

Fishbone and Sublime. other than that I'm more into reggae than ska.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Deadradio on Apr 02, 2008, 04:55 PM
Ah, I remember the Ska of the 90's days.

Those bands used to come to Chicago by the shitloads.

yes indeed, we were very fortunate. i remember seeing flogging molly at the riviera on st. pattys day awhile back. one of the best nights ever.
DERP

ignore the fashion

i've been listening to the new pennywise a lot lately, thats a damn good cd.

i kind of lost interest in then after full circle because i felt they were starting to change their sound a bit, but this new one is fucking awesome.

theis

Anyone into Pepper, Slightly Stoopid, The Expendables?

If you're a fan of Sublime, definitely chekc out those bands. Great, chill music.

Also, could someone recommend me other great bands in the same "genre" as these bands?

bright lights, big city

I'd say maybe try Lucky Boys Confusion. They had a couple popular songs back in the day, but I thought their other songs were kind of similar to Pepper.

If you want straight up ska with the horns, then there are plenty more recommendations.
DERP

deftonekid

I've been listening lately to Asian Dub Foundation. They're pretty good. I like 311 a lot too.

ben

Do yourself a favor and check out Aggrolites

theis

Quote from: ben on Apr 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
Do yourself a favor and check out Aggrolites

just checked them out on myspace. sweet band! very chill and laid back. nice summervibe. love this kinda shit.

thanks for the recommendation...gonna find their albums now.

theis

Could anyone hook me up with some of the best albums by Burning Spear and Peter Tosh?

whodunit?

de facto
21st century dub