Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

S/T guitars sound lower than in SNW

Started by i kill for fun, May 07, 2008, 04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

i kill for fun

I know Stef detunes his guitars lower with every album, but it seems like SNW compared with S/T is nowhere near the lowness and "crunchiness". Maybe its franks electronic melodies that are interwoven in the music that detracts from the lowness of the guitars. I also noticed that stef plays high up the neck of the guitar when he play SNW songs....anyone else notice this?
"playful deception is the lowest form of Tom-foolery"
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die"

fireflyry

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Bayle

On some of the songs he's playing with a bass instead of a guitar. How much lower do you want it to get?
Yes, I can imagine

i kill for fun

yea the terry date factor explain much of this...but all im saying is SNW is so much more held back and limited in terms of that low, belowing hoard sound of the S/T record..i mean..just compare songs like hexagram and WGTB to songs like RATs! and HITE..its clear that that the guitar's resonating lowness is muted very much in these instances on SNW

fireflyry

Exactly, my point being the difference imo comes down to purely production and recording technique, specifically the co-producers who worked with the Deftones at the time.

As you say it's pretty easy to hear the difference when comparing albums but it has little to do with tuning or gear imo.

Starz

When S/T was recorded it was a dark time for some of the members so ultimately they are going to make dark music so maybe Stef intentionally made the tuning of the guitar lower to reflect the mood of the members at the time... SNW was a more happier time personally for Deftones so again this will reflect the bands style on the record... Maybe...

Timmy666

SNW was not a happy time. You couldnt be more wrong. They nearly broke up.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Well, there's also the range factor which is that a lot of songs on SNW, thought Steph had his 7 or 8 string or whatever, many of the riffs were based around a standard tuning drop D chord being the lowest chord in the song due to Chino's parts. Hole In The Earth's lowest chord is that Drop D open chord. Steph just plays it higher on the neck of his low tuned guitar. Cherry Waves also is based around a standard Drop D with its lowest chord being that drop D open chord where as all of the songs on S/T were based on Steph's lowest note except "Minerva" which is like a standard drop D tuned a half step down, at least for Chino's guitar and Steph just followed suit playing those same notes a bit higher on his neck due to the lower tuning.

Does that make sense to anyone? I'm kind of tired and thus not very well spoken right now.

i kill for fun

yea i noticed he played higher on the neck....man thats fuckin weak stef has to sacrifice that bad ass lowness because chino doesn't wanna detune his guitar...bout time he put it down stuck to what he doesnt suck at

fireflyry

Musicians change, mature and experiment.

I'd get used to it.

el perro

tbh having your guitar tuned low doesnt make it any heavier. sure stef gets a nice crunch with that 7th and EMG pick ups but its more about what you're playing than how low you can get it. example, Adrenaline, which is all in standard tuning on a 6 i find is way more heavier than Rats or Rapture or Kimdracula (to me anyway)

Starz

Quote from: Timmy666 on May 08, 2008, 02:03 AM

I personally don't believe they were ever going to break up...

theshadeisatool

Quote from: Starz on May 08, 2008, 09:46 AM
Quote from: Timmy666 on May 08, 2008, 02:03 AM

I personally don't believe they were ever going to break up...

Looking back it seems that the gusto and momentum that they built up with White Pony got lost somewhere in between releasing the last few singles from it in 2001 and the recording process for Self-Titled. S/T and Saturday Night Wrist seem just to be two parts to a narrative that has developed since, and that is: the band having internal arguments, Chino not being interested, then Stef not being interested, then vice versa again. Hopefully the next album will break the cycle.

On the guitars, the guitarwork on SNW sounds all over the place - Chino's influence maybe? - whereas S/T has one standard sound, I think .

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Starz on May 07, 2008, 09:37 PM
SNW was a more happier time personally for Deftones ...

haha someone throw this guy out of here

Starz

personally as in Chi weren't going through another divorce etc... S/T is their most darkest album, SNW isn't really that dark at all... I don't want to get thrown out of here Jesus, I enjoy my time here, Jesus.

cyppe101

The whole band has said it was a dark time (SNW), where nobody knew what is happening to the band.

Now, theyre closer than ever and happy, so whatever..

i kill for fun

haha..should rename this the "Which Album Was More Happier Times" thread..

cyppe101

Quote from: i kill for fun on May 09, 2008, 05:01 PM
haha..should rename this the "Which Album Was More Happier Times" thread..
No shit..

NiChe

Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on May 09, 2008, 08:58 AM
Quote from: Starz on May 07, 2008, 09:37 PM
SNW was a more happier time personally for Deftones ...

haha someone throw this guy out of here

werd +1

Starz

lol Deftones are best friends, best friends always fall out, argue. Best friends need a break from time to time so Chino did his Team Sleep and now as one of the internet guys rightly pointed out above me, they are now happier than ever. They weren't gonna break up, they have too much to lose... S/T was the most darkest time for Deftones due to personal shit outside of the Deftones... You can 'werd + 1 get this cunt thrown out of here' all you want but this is my opinion...