Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones as Shoegaze

Started by wither-I, May 09, 2008, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emehlen

It's funny, I have been kinda getting into the whole Shoegaze thing with bands like MBV and Slowdive, etc.  and I defintely made a corellation between the Tones and Shoegaze.  For everyone who is like "wtf is Shoegaze?" just watch a youtube vid of My Bloody Valentine or simply wiki it.  Shoegaze was originally a derrogatory term for the genre made by a critic... much like Impressionism was.  Shoegaze is simply the tendency of the guitarist/s to look down at the pedals(looks like they are staring at their feet) while playing, hence shoe-gaze.

MINERVA is definetly reminiscent of shoegaze. If you can't see it, then sorry you need to check your ears.  whether or not they were influenced by it on that song, idk. And when Deftones play live, Steph is usually always staring down at his guitar pedals.  The Deftones ARE NOT shoegaze but are defintely influenced by it. Chino is known for his love of that kind of music and in a magazine article I have he listed MBV's Loveless as one of his fav albums.

Bless

wither-I

Quote from: emehlen on May 11, 2008, 09:02 PM
MINERVA is definetly reminiscent of shoegaze. If you can't see it, then sorry you need to check your ears.  whether or not they were influenced by it on that song, idk. And when Deftones play live, Steph is usually always staring down at his guitar pedals.  The Deftones ARE NOT shoegaze but are defintely influenced by it. Chino is known for his love of that kind of music and in a magazine article I have he listed MBV's Loveless as one of his fav albums.

Bless

indeed... indeed.

and Bless.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

deftonesfan192

Quote from: ImperfectCircle on May 10, 2008, 05:13 PM
I was just reading about shoegazing bands a couple weeks ago.  They're bands like Smashing Pumpkins and it started with bands like The Cure and stuff.  It is what the name says.  It's not a genre of music, it's the act of just staring down at the general direction of your shoes and just mellowing out, playing the guitar.   I would say Chino is a shoe gazer

sorry mate but you coudnt be more wrong the bands tyhat started it where bands like MBV Ride etc. My Bloody Valentine was the first shoegaze band because basically as you said belinda would look down tpwards her feet as she played but generally the music was very slow and dreamy so I wouldnt say deftones wer shoegaze although White Pony did contain elements & i know chino really likes MBV as iv said in previous posts ill show you...

copy & paste --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1gOxmdBOMI

deftonesfan192

dictatesofreason

guys the tones have a wide range of styles you cant just pinpoint one certain sound on them and you cant say that they might/mightnot have a certain sound...the Tones differentiation in music is what makes em great, at best the one catergorie i ever call em is Experimental, these guys have there own fucking genre and regardless if theyre billionaires and platinum winners or not, having your own side of the music scale is an awesome feat in itself.

godin

Quote from: ilovechino69 on May 09, 2008, 10:40 PM
wut the hell is shoegaze i never heard that term ever

you're too easy to pick on. no wonder everyone rips on you
Dingus.

Muzic Junkie

Shoegaze means - They have awsomly cool shoes and people can't help but too gaze/stare at there shoes.

Really its quite a feat. Too be a shoegazed band.

nyquil addict

Quote from: wither-I on May 09, 2008, 09:19 PM
i guess this is why so many "metal heads" hate them/dont give them respect, saying they're guitar parts ar "so easy to play" and such n such etc etc...

I've heard the same thing by metal guitar players about deftones. Like its only good if its hard to play... like a video game. Hilarious. And yes there is a hint of shoegaze in deftones' sound especially on SNW.

wither-I

Quote from: nyquil addict on Jan 04, 2009, 01:22 AM
Quote from: wither-I on May 09, 2008, 09:19 PM
i guess this is why so many "metal heads" hate them/dont give them respect, saying they're guitar parts ar "so easy to play" and such n such etc etc...

Like its only good if its hard to play... like a video game.
haha its so tru people judge music by complexity rather than honest ears too often...

viva la noise!!

"coming into the nearness of distance"