Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones as Shoegaze

Started by wither-I, May 09, 2008, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

i have given this inclination alot of thought recently, and i know some maybe wholeheartedly agree.

i see deftones as shoegaze alt metal.

but i think the shoegaze aspect should be highlighted more;

chino's vocals, high distorition, just very brooding feels to most of their stuff.

i guess this is why so many "metal heads" hate them/dont give them respect, saying they're guitar parts ar "so easy to play" and such n such etc etc...

i always find myself defending them as if they were my child to a wolf, saying its "their style"

and it is.
i lknow im kind of rambling now into something totally different, but im sick of the hate on the tones,
people need to get that its not all about soloing out the whole time.

shoegazer er not,
i love my tones

respect

bless

"coming into the nearness of distance"

There Will Be Blood

Zevaka

bullshit. deftones have no shoegaze in their music. no at all
sorry to disappoint you.

but My Bloody Valentine have some

wither-I

i still feel it.

especially on self titled.

mostly of all due to chino's vocal approach (the singing)
and the high distortion,
in songs like; Anniversary, battle axe, good morning beautiful, dai the flu, bqad, xerces

its mys take wether you see it as "bullshit." or not

There Will Be Blood

wut the hell is shoegaze i never heard that term ever

cast so cool

Blasphemy. They may be influenced by "shoegaze" bands but thats about as far as that shit goes.

ETA shoegaze is like MBV, Jesus and Mary Chain, even the Cure. Kinda edgy dreampop is the best way I can describe the term.

buddyboy101

Deftones totally have some elements of shoegaze...but I wouldn't call them shoegaze per se.  A lot of their music has that dreamy feel a la my bloody valentine, the cure, depeche mode, etc...who all happen to be major influences on multiple Deftones band members.  I suppose deftones show the metal side of shoegaze music.  minerva, hole in the earth (chorus/breakdown), wgtb (breakdown), wax and wane (of course - cocteau twins), cherry waves, digibath, rx queen, et al. best exemplify this.

On a broader note, it's hard to typify the Deftones as one certain type of music.  They have their moments of almost all genres - punk, metal, electronic, rock, hip/hop, etc...I suppose the only thing missing is a little bluegrass...

wither-I

Quote from: buddyboy101 on May 10, 2008, 12:19 AM
Deftones totally have some elements of shoegaze...but I wouldn't call them shoegaze per se.  A lot of their music has that dreamy feel a la my bloody valentine, the cure, depeche mode, etc...who all happen to be major influences on multiple Deftones band members.  I suppose deftones show the metal side of shoegaze music.  minerva, hole in the earth (chorus/breakdown), wgtb (breakdown), wax and wane (of course - cocteau twins), cherry waves, digibath, rx queen, et al. best exemplify this.

On a broader note, it's hard to typify the Deftones as one certain type of music.  They have their moments of almost all genres - punk, metal, electronic, rock, hip/hop, etc...I suppose the only thing missing is a little bluegrass...
awesome.

very well put. and better than myself...

you clarified it very well.

and i never said they "were" shoegaze, but rather they have some shoegaze in "them" (i really dont see how this acn be denied)

and you def cant put an exact finger on them... they are full of shit! lol

bless

ignore the fashion

Shoegaze is a genre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. It lasted until the mid 1990s, peaking circa 1990 to 1991.

The British music press (notably NME and Melody Maker) called this genre "shoegazing" because the musicians in these bands often maintained a motionless performing style, standing on stage and staring at the floor while playing their instruments; hence, the idea that they were gazing at their shoes. The shoegazing sound featured extensive use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars. Few shoegazers were dynamic performers or interesting interviewees, which prevented them from breaking through into markets in the United States. A lump description given to shoegaze bands in London in the early 1990s was "The Scene That Celebrates Itself." In the 1990s, shoegaze groups were pushed aside by the likes of American grunge and Britpop, forcing bands to breakup or evolve into a different style. Recent times have seen a renewed interest in the genre, among so-called "nu-gaze" bands.

read more here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

Jerry_Curls

I totally agree with you on this. I've been thinking about this a lot recently so thats random you had the same thoughts on their true sound that not other metal can or has done. I feel like theyrcan really be described as Metal Shoegaze because thats what it sounds like. A "metal" version/or take on shoegaze. The dragged out singing that started to show really well on ATF. Songs like Lhabia (best shown when singing "Dying of bordem, I'll try it all" from here on he thne goes to the screaming "I'll be faint like a crook. It looks and feels great. But look at what it's doing to you. But thats ok, look how it feels" he is totally singing very dreampop-y. Singing softly layered over with screatching [sp?] no one can do that shit like chino) , Mascara, Dai The Flu, Damone etc tec.

Quote from: cast so cool on May 09, 2008, 10:43 PM
Blasphemy. They may be influenced by "shoegaze" bands but thats about as far as that shit goes.

ETA shoegaze is like MBV, Jesus and Mary Chain, even the Cure. Kinda edgy dreampop is the best way I can describe the term.

Not saying that they are a srtraight up shoegaze band. Its just THEIR style of shoegaze that had obviously influenced the metal sounds.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

ToniteWeMurder

shoegaze is lush, my bloody valentine, slowdive, ride, chapterhouse, secret shine, swervedriver,  airiel, Spiritualized , not the Deftones

lostpilot

Deftones are not a shoegaze band.
They do not fit the original definition.

Jacob

just because a band has some obvious influence from a certain genre doesn't mean they belong to that genre. if that were the case, we could very well call Deftones thrash metal, grunge, gangsta rap, new wave and post punk too.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

cyppe101

What the fuck is shoegaze?

deftoneskoen

I'dd rather compare Team Sleep with shoegaze bands (for example 'Your skull is red") but absolutely not deftones.

Zevaka

Quote from: deftoneskoen on May 10, 2008, 02:20 PM
I'dd rather compare Team Sleep with shoegaze bands (for example 'Your skull is red") but absolutely not deftones.
yes, that's true

buddyboy101

Quote from: aenemic on May 10, 2008, 11:10 AM
just because a band has some obvious influence from a certain genre doesn't mean they belong to that genre. if that were the case, we could very well call Deftones thrash metal, grunge, gangsta rap, new wave and post punk too.

well that's just the point.  it's impossible to pin the deftones into any certain genre.  they have been described as all of those terms you used to no avail. 

Quote from: deftoneskoen on May 10, 2008, 02:20 PM

i agree with the first half of your statement, but still argue their are hints of shoegaze

just google "deftones shoegaze" and you'll come up with a smattering of results of critics and observers who have already found elements of shoegaze within the deftones.
http://www.google.com/search?q=deftones+shoegaze

wither-I

Quote from: ToniteWeMurder on May 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
shoegaze is lush, my bloody valentine, slowdive, ride, chapterhouse, secret shine, swervedriver,  airiel, Spiritualized , not the Deftones
Quote from: bored on May 10, 2008, 10:51 AM
Deftones are not a shoegaze band.
They do not fit the original definition.
Quote from: aenemic on May 10, 2008, 11:10 AM
dude i swear some people on this board dont even read into the discussion.

like has been said before, nobody said they "WERE" -"all in all" shoegaze.

read
Quote from: Jerry_Curls on May 10, 2008, 07:53 AM
I totally agree with you on this. I've been thinking about this a lot recently so thats random you had the same thoughts on their true sound that not other metal can or has done. I feel like theyrcan really be described as Metal Shoegaze because thats what it sounds like. A "metal" version/or take on shoegaze. The dragged out singing that started to show really well on ATF. Songs like Lhabia (best shown when singing "Dying of bordem, I'll try it all" from here on he thne goes to the screaming "I'll be faint like a crook. It looks and feels great. But look at what it's doing to you. But thats ok, look how it feels" he is totally singing very dreampop-y. Singing softly layered over with screatching [sp?] no one can do that shit like chino) , Mascara, Dai The Flu, Damone etc tec.

Not saying that they are a srtraight up shoegaze band. Its just THEIR style of shoegaze that had obviously influenced the metal sounds.

thank you!

i see some look at this open-mindedly ;)

bless.

Frankz0r

I see "shoegaze" a stupid term, the whole idea is so fucking stupid. I know there are good shoegaze bands but... uhm.

and I dont see them as shoegaze, probably like someone said before: they mix a lot of genres, and my fellas, that's what I love about the tones.

shine down unshy

I was just reading about shoegazing bands a couple weeks ago.  They're bands like Smashing Pumpkins and it started with bands like The Cure and stuff.  It is what the name says.  It's not a genre of music, it's the act of just staring down at the general direction of your shoes and just mellowing out, playing the guitar.   I would say Chino is a shoe gazer