Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones as Shoegaze

Started by wither-I, May 09, 2008, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starz

There are definetly elements of shoegaze in Deftones. People who say there isn't probably don't even know what shoegaze is or think that it's shit so they find it hard to believe that Deftones are influenced by these bands... Deftones love Cure, My Bloody Valentine et al so of course this is going to influence the sound which Deftones play...

Zevaka

one goddamnit song... please name at least one deftones song which is shoegaze influenced

shine down unshy

Hey man.  Just look up Shoegazing on wikipedia.org and you'll see that all the bands Chino was influenced by were involved in that genre of music.  They cite terms like "dream pop, , trippy guitar effects, ambience "and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars"".  That doesn't sound like deftones to you?

Zevaka

well, that sounds like thousands  different bands for me.
i just ask for a song name

fireflyry

In response to the author:

Caricaturisation is what it is...classifying personal expression.....be it music, painting, poetry or word play.....

Caricaturisation is, imo, taking away from intention.

Personal expression should be just that....why look for a box to place it in?

In all honesty...fuck that.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

shine down unshy

Digital bath is a song that comes to mind when I think of shoegazing and deftones.  Pink maggit too.  Anything soft and mellow.  Like someone said before, there are elements of it in their music , but they're always changing and evolving so it's hard to pin point exactly what deftones are.  Anyway I love em and that's why we're here.

buddyboy101

Quote from: Zevaka on May 10, 2008, 06:01 PM
one goddamnit song... please name at least one deftones song which is shoegaze influenced

bro - almost all of them!  Rats! comes to mind especially when chino's singing all soft and smooth over stephen's agitated riffs during the chorus.  Digital Bath for sure, and Hole in the Earth.  Even BQAD has that dreamy feel to it.  Passenger too. 

fireflyry

Deftones.

So masters of dynamics.

wither-I

Quote from: Zevaka on May 10, 2008, 06:29 PM
well, that sounds like thousands  different bands for me.
i just ask for a song name
dude why are you being difficult and getting pissed off, like we offended you.

thats just the thing we already listed atleast an albums worth of songs on the first page of this topic.

didnt you read through it....

i mean i dont know how this can be denied like I and others have said.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

fireflyry

Hang on...WTF is shoegaze?

Please don't say it's another lame way to chop music into categories.....

shine down unshy

Well I agree about music being an outlet of expression all the way, but it is categorized no matter how hard we try to say it's not.  It's like trying to deny diversity itself.  I won't get way too into it but yea.

All the info you need is right here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

Jerry_Curls

Yes. Yes it is. Obviously a lot of bands are influenced by this genre. New bands like No Age come to mind that mixes punk with shoegaze. It's not a crime to label music.

Quote from: Zevaka on May 10, 2008, 06:01 PM

Dude. You obviously don't read posts because on page 1 I gave some examples of this, but since I'm nice, I'll give another example:

Battle-axe

Right when the drums start to kick in, you can hear some guitar work that Chino prolly does over Stef's to add some density and layering to it. The guitars might be heavier than most of the shoegaze, but it feels like shoegaze has always been heavy [some MBV songs are heavy as fuck like "Feed me with your kiss"]When Chino starts to sing, you can hear it during "Still maaaaaaking believe.." after every word is just floaty. Dreamy. Dream pop. Shoegaze. At one point in this song, during and after the 2nd chorus, it leads into "Still you love to think you have always been this way. Well I'd love to think you will someday feel the same. And you love to think it will always...alwaaaaays..." it feels like Chino doesn't stop singing...he just keep on singing without taking a break. Keeps on repeating the word "always" with the repeating guitars in the back, just floating there. Very droned out, spacey, rock. "But you'reee wrrrrooonnnngggg". Dude.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

shine down unshy

Jerry_Curls

And here is one of my favorite EPs from My Bloody Valentine; Feed Me With Your Kiss EP

http://download.yousendit.com/723EBB2F13E0487E
[edit: I added one more song to the EP.so 3 in total. my bad]

First song is heavy as fuck. The bass gets to me everytime. Punk ass ending. The second song, "I Believe" is one of my favorite MBV tracks. Just super droney, poppy, but not at the same time. During the chorus, you can hear the girl in the back just softly singing, something Chongo has or would do. Love this song. Next song is pretty fucking good as well.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

ignore the fashion

Zevaka

yes, i completely forgot about Battle-Axe. I agree with it.

but digital bath? Passenger? Lhabia? helll no

Inkblades

Bloody Cape is a weird shoegazing/metal combo that just happens to work brilliantly.

defskull

I wanted to type something when this topic was first posted, but I feel like there really isn't anything to add.  I definitely agree that they have elements of shoegaze in their music.  I feel like that's the basis of their softer stuff.

deepest_ocean

Quote from: defskull on May 10, 2008, 11:52 PM
I feel like that's the basis of their softer stuff.

That's how ive always seen it as well. And for some reason Dai the flu's chorus always reminds me of Isnt anything times MBW.

ToniteWeMurder

i'm sorry i still don't consider any of those songs shoegaze, kinda hard when i grew up with my bloody valentine's loveless and lush's spooky