Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

I AM LEGEND: the film vs the book

Started by whodunit?, Jun 25, 2008, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whodunit?

I don't like films with Will Smiths but I really enjoyed I AM LEGEND. In some moments you can really feel the absence of people in the World. I haven't read the book, though. Has anyone read the book? Is the plot of the movie much different from the book?

theis

the horrendous special effects completely ruined the movie.

also, the pro-christianity message was preacy and unnessecary.

i heard the book it much, much better.

whodunit?

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jun 25, 2008, 11:36 AM
the horrendous special effects completely ruined the movie.

also, the pro-christianity message was preacy and unnessecary.

i heard the book it much, much better.

pro-what? sorry sir, but where?

theis

spoilers:

the ending. she (Anna) felt that God sent her and God was the reason for her saving Will. Will doesn't have faith when he meets her, but in the end, when he looks at the butterfly on her shoulder, he realises that she's there for a reason.

The fact that it is only when he gives into faith that Neville is truly ably to sacrifice himself to save the human race is a complete joke and is an obvious anti-science,pro-christianity propeganda.

also, the final shot of the big doors opening upon a church steeple and salvation made me want to vomit. As if faith and god are all that can save us from the evils of science.

it's been a while since i've seen it, so it could probably be explained better.

bright lights, big city

movie was okay.
like most adaptations, the book was better.

spoilers? maybe?

the book never dealt with the whole 'cure for cancer turning people into vampires' thing. And there was more a society issue with Neville being the only human left- there was actually "good" vampires in it compared to the bad vampires.
read the book, it is worthwhile. and it's a fairly quick read once you get into it.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

devlin

the book was a bagillion times better. i didn't mind the film, but hated to diffent ending. changing the ending but keeping the title made no sense to me. i don't like how he had the dog the whole time too. in the book him trying desperatly to get this stray dog to stay with him for the chapanionship, really showed the lonliness of his situation.

Variable

I thought the movie was ok at best.  Like a C - .  It was like a bunch of executives were trying to figure out how they could make some quick cash
"hmmm ok guys how bout this WILL SMITH.......that's all I got"

" OH GREAT IDEA JOHN, ok Will Smith.....in tight T- Shirts or no shirt at all!!!"

" Oh wonderfull Bob great now my turn...Will Smith in tight T - Shirts......holding a gun"

"ahhhhhh it will be a hit for sure Jim.  We will just throw him in New York with no one else around so that the audience can really fixate out our wonderful idea!!!! Go check, im sure somewhere we already have a movie script that we own that will accomodate this!!!"

devlin

Quote from: Variable on Jun 26, 2008, 01:24 AM
I thought the movie was ok at best.  Like a C - .  It was like a bunch of executives were trying to figure out how they could make some quick cash
"hmmm ok guys how bout this WILL SMITH.......that's all I got"

" OH GREAT IDEA JOHN, ok Will Smith.....in tight T- Shirts or no shirt at all!!!"

" Oh wonderfull Bob great now my turn...Will Smith in tight T - Shirts......holding a gun"

"ahhhhhh it will be a hit for sure Jim.  We will just throw him in New York with no one else around so that the audience can really fixate out our wonderful idea!!!! Go check, im sure somewhere we already have a movie script that we own that will accomodate this!!!"

i didn't think it was that bad. if i hadn't read the book first i probably would have really liked the movie.

oldgentlovecraft

Book was so much better.  The film had horrible CGI and missed the whole point of the book.  There were no good "vampires" in the book and the idea was that infection mutated humans to become the new race and that Neville was in fact the new legend and last survivor.

wither-I

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jun 25, 2008, 01:37 PM
movie was okay.
like most adaptations, the book was better.

spoilers? maybe?

the book never dealt with the whole 'cure for cancer turning people into vampires' thing. And there was more a society issue with Neville being the only human left- there was actually "good" vampires in it compared to the bad vampires.
read the book, it is worthwhile. and it's a fairly quick read once you get into it.
awesome

"coming into the nearness of distance"

devlin

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jun 26, 2008, 12:18 PM
Book was so much better.  The film had horrible CGI and missed the whole point of the book.  There were no good "vampires" in the book and the idea was that infection mutated humans to become the new race and that Neville was in fact the new legend and last survivor.

yeah the CGI was terrible. and thats why i was saying they shouldn't have keep the title and change the ending. it made no sense then, the title that is.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: devlin on Jun 26, 2008, 03:41 PM
Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jun 26, 2008, 12:18 PM

Exactly.
yeah the CGI was terrible. and thats why i was saying they shouldn't have keep the title and change the ending. it made no sense then, the title that is.

dictatesofreason

i read the book and saw/bought the movie and i like both versions
and to me the were no pro Christianity themes, the whole movie is about the mistakes of men and how he messed trying to play god, i mean a cure for cancer, if anything Anna was just a weak person who needs something like the idea of a watchful deity to help her in life, i mean stuff like that helps a lot of people. For me its music. anyway

In the book the more vampiric culture/how to kill em-ology is more prevalent and Neville is white not black..but i still like the movie version better, im not a big vampire person

devilinside

[youtube=425,350]dsK0GKajlsI[/youtube]

;D

Penicks