Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Neil Young

Started by theis, Dec 30, 2008, 02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

I can't believe there's not already a thread about him. What a legend! Dude's 63 and still rockin' like ever before.

Here's an amazing video I found:

Neil Young & Pearl Jam - Rockin' in the Free World
[youtube=425,350]OF1kCpCl9a4[/youtube]

Adam Sandler covering Like A Hurricane...pretty impressive.
[youtube=425,350]0MgpT22xYPU[/youtube]

Mascara Snake

Legend

Check his biography 'Shakey' a very inspiring story!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

theis

i've been meaning to!

hey, btw dude, i've really been getting into Screaming Trees. what an underrated band. i've been absolutely stunned by Sweet Oblivion and Dust. Amazing albums...

saltinut1

I defn agree!  Saw Neil last year in Buffalo, NY.  He did a split of half acoustic half electric show.  Best concert ive been to.

Just so you guys know, he is releasing his archives vol 1 in february i believe.  Includes hundreds of hours of stuff for a whopping $300.

Ciao
Quote from: Penicks on Mar 25, 2010, 06:09 PM
DEY ONLEY REALEASE DIDMAOND ASS N ROKET SKATE SO HWO DUD U GET IT??????
Quote from: Penicks on Jan 05, 2011, 05:01 PM
it sino bein sad cuz wendys woz al out of hambruges

goldpony

neil young owns. harvest is one of the most underappreciated albums of all time in my opinion. while i thought his newer releases (prairie wind and living with war) were a little uneven, he still hasn't lost it.
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Mascara Snake

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Dec 31, 2008, 01:37 AM
i've been meaning to!

hey, btw dude, i've really been getting into Screaming Trees. what an underrated band. i've been absolutely stunned by Sweet Oblivion and Dust. Amazing albums...

Yeah they're a great band, some of they're earlier albums are good to but not very well produced, check out the song 'Grey Diamond Desert'.

Lanegan has been very productive of late too, with Gutter Twin's, Isobel Campell and Soulsavers.  He has a knew solo album and album with the Soulsavers coming up in the next month or two.

Anyway, the archive releases are great, im waiting on the DVD of Dublin Showgrounds from 95 with Pearl Jam as the backing band, filmed by Jim Sheridan and has never seen the light of day.  'Massey Hall' is great too.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

theis

Quote from: Mascara Snake on Jan 02, 2009, 05:11 PM
i've been meaning to!

im waiting on the DVD of Dublin Showgrounds from 95 with Pearl Jam as the backing band, filmed by Jim Sheridan and has never seen the light of day.  'Massey Hall' is great too.

holy shit, that's going to be an actual dvd release? wow, sounds amazing.

Mascara Snake

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Jan 02, 2009, 05:27 PM
Quote from: Mascara Snake on Jan 02, 2009, 05:11 PM
i've been meaning to!

im waiting on the DVD of Dublin Showgrounds from 95 with Pearl Jam as the backing band, filmed by Jim Sheridan and has never seen the light of day.  'Massey Hall' is great too.

holy shit, that's going to be an actual dvd release? wow, sounds amazing.

Its in the archives but is not due for release, not at the minute anyway, I would love to see it.  My mom's cousin is very close friends with Jim Sheridan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Sheridan) the guy who filmed it, maybe I could get Terry to get me a copy lol

Doubt it though!

Nebontha

Been hearing his songs on the radio since I was , like well, born pretty much, and just found out he's Canadian a couple years ago lol.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

Jacob

neil young is awesome.

and that video of pearl jam & neil young is musical perfection. moments like that are the reason I love music and why I play music.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

theis

Quote from: aenemic on Jan 06, 2009, 12:14 AM
moments like that are the reason I love music and why I play music.

couldn't agree more.

i love the end of it where Mike is desperately trying to smash his guitar and the look on his face when he realises his failure in breaking it, haha.

goldpony

speaking of which, does anyone have an up for his unplugged album? much appreciated
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

theis

Quote from: goldpony on Jan 06, 2009, 12:30 AM
speaking of which, does anyone have an up for his unplugged album? much appreciated

Live at Massey Hall 1971

1. "On the Way Home" – 3:42
   2. "Tell Me Why" – 2:29
   3. "Old Man" – 4:57
   4. "Journey Through the Past" – 4:15
   5. "Helpless" – 4:16
   6. "Love In Mind" – 2:47
   7. "A Man Needs a Maid / Heart of Gold Suite" – 6:39
   8. "Cowgirl in the Sand" – 3:45
   9. "Don't Let It Bring You Down" – 2:46
  10. "There's a World" – 3:33
  11. "Bad Fog of Loneliness" – 3:27
  12. "The Needle and the Damage Done" – 3:55
  13. "Ohio" – 3:40
  14. "See the Sky About to Rain" – 4:05
  15. "Down by the River" – 4:08
  16. "Dance Dance Dance" – 5:48
  17. "I Am a Child" – 3:19

http://rapidshare.com/files/123176854/2007MassHl1971.rar.

Enjoy!

goldpony

youre the fuckin man! i meant the mtv unplugged but this looks much better, thanks!
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

theis

oh, i got the MTV Unplugged too.

here ya go: http://rapidshare.com/files/123175228/1993Unpl.rar.

Massey Hall is my absolute favorite. Just Neil, his acoustic and a piano. one of my favorite live albums ever.

Crazylegs

Let me breathe some life into this thread again. I've been listening to Neil Young so much this past year. I always enjoyed many of his songs, but i never listened through entire albums or anything of the sort. I started with after the goldrush sometime this summer, and i've also bought harvest, and on the beach. I love them all, absolutely brilliant. I can't believe it took me so long to really give him a shot, but i'm glad i did.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

E-Money

I love neil young.  Truly one of the greatest musicians of all time.  I was in a record store the other day talking to a guy that worked there about neil young.  He was probably my dads age and was telling me all these crazy stories about neil.  Apparently he was notorious for going on a tour, playing the first couple of shows and then just dipping out on the third or fourth show.  He would leave without anyone knowing and just go back home and write music.  Completely fuck everyone over.  Weird dude,  but the best musicians are....

pillswithwine

My favorite Neil Young song probably is when he was in Buffalo Springfield, "Expecting to Fly".  Briliant song.  Perfect in my opinion.  If you are a fan of his, and haven't heard it, I definitely recommend that you listen to it.  It's from the album "Buffalo Springfield Again".  There are some other great Neil songs on there too, "Mr. Soul" and "Broken Arrow".

Mascara Snake

Quote from: stapezee on Feb 09, 2010, 07:44 PM
I love neil young.  Truly one of the greatest musicians of all time.  I was in a record store the other day talking to a guy that worked there about neil young.  He was probably my dads age and was telling me all these crazy stories about neil.  Apparently he was notorious for going on a tour, playing the first couple of shows and then just dipping out on the third or fourth show.  He would leave without anyone knowing and just go back home and write music.  Completely fuck everyone over.  Weird dude,  but the best musicians are....

Read his Autobiography, brilliant read.  During a tour with Stephen Stills back in the 70's when Stills was a complete coke fiend Neil ditched him after just a few shows of the tour and left a note saying

"Dear Stephen

Sometimes things that start spontaneously, end that way.

Eat a peach
Neil"

Legend

E-Money

Quote from: Mascara Snake on Feb 11, 2010, 08:16 PM
Quote from: stapezee on Feb 09, 2010, 07:44 PM

Read his Autobiography, brilliant read.  During a tour with Stephen Stills back in the 70's when Stills was a complete coke fiend Neil ditched him after just a few shows of the tour and left a note saying

"Dear Stephen

Sometimes things that start spontaneously, end that way.

Eat a peach
Neil"

Legend

haha thats great.  I'll definitely check out the autobiography.