Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Survey on Band Promotion.

Started by deftuner, Apr 06, 2009, 01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftuner

Hi,
I am doing a survey for a research paper. It is very simple. It is about what is better promotion: Finding out about new bands online (Purevolume.com) or through word-of-mouth  (telling others about it)? Can you guys please do this for me? All you have to do is answer with the words "Online" or "From other people" for each question. Thanks. Here are the questions:

1.)   How do you find out about new bands: online or from other people?

2.)   How do you prefer to find out about bands: online or from other people?

3.)   How would you tell others about new bands: refer them to a website (such as Purevolume.com) or tell on your own?

4.)   In your opinion, what is more effective: Finding out about bands online or being told from someone else about new bands?

Starz

Online.

But I read magazines like Rock Sound and shit so they sometimes help me discover new bands also.

I hope this was good enough for you.

Starz

deftuner

Survey is updated. Spread the word about this and help a Deftones fan out. Please!

Nailec

An bád dubh

I just come to Sharinglungs.com
That's how I find new bands.

Anyways, those 4 questions are actually just 1 question brother. And even that one question is impossible to answer by considering just those 2 options. First of all, I pretty much find all my new bands from Online but I do consider it more of a word of mouth. Setting just Purevolume.com as an example is not enough in my opinion. You should define what you really mean with "online" and"word of mouth" as those 2 can be the same thing. What is considered "online", are message boards "online" or just official releases? Is "word of mouth" just something you hear from your friends in real life or is it in this case actually just message boards?

I'd suggest that you just pick one of those questions and create 3 totally new questions to give your reserach a bit more depth and perspective. As of now, depending on what is the level of studies you are in now, the teacher will propably just give you a poor grade again depending on how important this survey is for the actual research. I am guessing that it is quite important because you asked for our help on it.

So you need 3 new questions man, I and others on this board would surely help you with creating them if you want. But if you decide to go with those 4 questions, which is fine if you just wish to pass, my answer is.... umm... I guess Online through a word of mouth. I don't know what to answer really.

oldgentlovecraft

I think most music fans, those that truly listen to variety and keep up with newer music, are fans of all promotion and media.  There are benefits for hearing about bands from any possible source. 

An bád dubh

Well said man. All sources are good for finding new music. Some just give more than others, as it is impossible to check out all new releases. Finding good new music is like filtering through all the albums and checking out the ones that are left in the end. The great thing about this is also that even though a band doesn't make it through your criteria at the time for some reason, you can always return to it and find just what you were looking for.

Alvar

i think its much easier to find new good music (music that you will most probably like) online.

actually, getting information about new bands on a message boards like this is like the ultimate connection of opinion based personal recommendations and quick impressions.

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

defTHE1s

Quote from: deftuner on Apr 06, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hi,
I am doing a survey for a research paper. It is very simple. It is about what is better promotion: Finding out about new bands online (Purevolume.com) or through word-of-mouth  (telling others about it)? Can you guys please do this for me? All you have to do is answer with the words "Online" or "From other people" for each question. Thanks. Here are the questions:

3.)   How would you tell others about new bands: refer them to a website (such as Purevolume.com) or tell on your own?

4.)   In your opinion, what is more effective: Finding out about bands online or being told from someone else about new bands?

This is my answer:
Both.
It may seem too stupid, but in my case I lear about new bands online (this forum the most) and with friends around me, also magazines help a lot.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

lostpilot

Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 06, 2009, 03:02 PM

generally my choice too.

Quote from: deftuner on Apr 06, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hi,

1.) mostly online. my friends listen to different music.
2.) online too. but friendly recommendations are good too
3.) I'd send them an album or give them a link to their myspace etc. Talking about music is like dancing about poetry.
4.) Online.

Though generally I think you should reconfigure your questions.

defTHE1s

Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 06, 2009, 09:27 PM
Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 06, 2009, 03:02 PM

generally my choice too.
The same for me, along with my friends recommendations. they listen to a wide variety of music, but their musical tastes are quite good/similar to mines.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Deftones-argentina

Yes, despite I can search from time to time about new bands on my own, I'll always pay more attention about a friend's recommendation whose musical taste is similar to mine. They ussually link me to purevolume, so I'd say it's team work.