Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Everything Lovecraft Thread

Started by oldgentlovecraft, May 10, 2009, 10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

I thought it was about time to create a topic about the one, the only H.P. Lovecraft.  Post whatever tickles your fancy if it's Lovecraft or Mythos related.  I threw this in chit chat since he's inspired music, artwork, movies, etc. so everything is covered.  Post clips, music videos, favorite stories, poetry (his poetry was decent), or anything else you can think of.  I'll start by posting some random shiznit.  Hell, we can even discuss cosmic philosophy.  Bring it!

:D

devlin

Great idea

Lovecraft inspired band:
www.myspace.com/orderoftheoldones

"Birth of Cthulu"

One of my favorite artists David "sideshow Monkey" Hartman.

Another by Hartman. "Denizens of Innsmouth"

oldgentlovecraft

Holy shit, good post!  Love the artwork!  The best thing about Lovecraft artwork is that his creatures were not described in detail, most of the time, and interpretation is up for grabs.  Also, just the vibe of his works lend so much to the imagination.

devlin

i love the artwork more than the stories to be honest. i had never read any of his work until i saw pics of cthulu and then looked into it and started reading.

lostpilot

theis

Great thread. He was so ahead of his time, it's amazing.

I love most of the movies and art he has inspired. and his stories of course.

oldgentlovecraft

Hell yeah!  He's inspired so many artists (writers, musicians, etc.) and even though he has a cult following is still a bit underrated for my taste.

Nailec

alright. which text shoul i read first?

i was in a library yesterday and found an cthulhu anthology. but there was only one text of lovecraft inside. so i am wondering which is the one most important text of the whole saga?

devlin

well correct me if i'm wrong (i'm looking at you oldgentlelovecraft) but lovecraft only wrote one cthulu story "Call of the Cthulu" and referenced cthulu in a couple other stories. any other stories written about cthulu was done by other authors. so "call of cthulu" would definitly be the place to start.

oldgentlovecraft

Spot on!  Cthulhu is the most famous creation, but only appeared in The Call of Cthulhu.  There are a number of other gods and creatures and they all connect to form the mythos.  There are other entities that are close, such as Dagon, and the fish people from Innsmouth.  If you want to read more with Cthulhu, or links to Cthulhu, August Derleth is where to go after Lovecraft.  I'd honestly research the Mythos a bit before diving in, since there are many links and references throughout the stories but it is hard to follow at times.  I can drudge up a list of stories that follow links within the Mythos if that would help.  Also, he's a bit hard to dive into considering his writing is so dense.  Not to say that folks on this board couldn't take it, seeing all of the varied tastes we have that would be ridiculous, but he is an acquired taste.  Pick up a contemporary Mythos collection, they'll contain Lovecraftian stories from authors like Stephen King and Ramsey Campbell, just to get the vibe.

devlin

his stuff can be hard to follow and completly get lost in. there is soooo much detail and backstory and lead up. always rewarding in the end, but i found some stories hard to concentrate. my mind would wander and i'd have to re-read paragraphs.

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on May 21, 2009, 11:01 PM
Spot on!  Cthulhu is the most famous creation, but only appeared in The Call of Cthulhu.  There are a number of other gods and creatures and they all connect to form the mythos.  There are other entities that are close, such as Dagon, and the fish people from Innsmouth.  If you want to read more with Cthulhu, or links to Cthulhu, August Derleth is where to go after Lovecraft.  I'd honestly research the Mythos a bit before diving in, since there are many links and references throughout the stories but it is hard to follow at times.  I can drudge up a list of stories that follow links within the Mythos if that would help.  Also, he's a bit hard to dive into considering his writing is so dense.  Not to say that folks on this board couldn't take it, seeing all of the varied tastes we have that would be ridiculous, but he is an acquired taste.  Pick up a contemporary Mythos collection, they'll contain Lovecraftian stories from authors like Stephen King and Ramsey Campbell, just to get the vibe.

i think the necronomicon (sp?) would be his most famous creation. i dunno if you meant just creatures. but i had heard of the "book of the dead" before ever hearing of cthulu or lovecraft. thanks to other books, tv shows and movies (most memorably "army of darkness") using it.

Livewire

saw this on someones car today

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Livewire on May 27, 2009, 01:15 AM
saw this on someones car today

Lol I always wanted to buy that one.

Quote from: devlin on May 21, 2009, 11:27 PM
his stuff can be hard to follow and completly get lost in. there is soooo much detail and backstory and lead up. always rewarding in the end, but i found some stories hard to concentrate. my mind would wander and i'd have to re-read paragraphs.

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on May 21, 2009, 11:01 PM

i think the necronomicon (sp?) would be his most famous creation. i dunno if you meant just creatures. but i had heard of the "book of the dead" before ever hearing of cthulu or lovecraft. thanks to other books, tv shows and movies (most memorably "army of darkness") using it.

Yeah!  Good reference!  There are actually people out there that believe that Lovecraft found a real occult version of the book and his stories were based on "truth".  I swear there are Lovecraft cults out there too.  Weird shit.  Although, there is a cosmicism philosophy based on his outlook that is actually kind of neat.

theis

I watched "From Beyond" yesterday. Such an awesome and underrated movie. I love it almost as much as "Re-Animator".

oldgentlovecraft

I'm not sure which one I like better.  Dagon is still my favorite Lovecraft flick though.