Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plagasx

Holy fucking shit I JUST CAME.

For some reason when they posted on twitter I thought they were just listing 4 songs that will be out on an EP or something... I DID NOT EXPECT A FULL LENGTH 15 TRACKER HOLY FUCKITY FUCKER FUCKKKKK

Aannnnnd a ROBERT SMITH SONG?!! DAFUQ AM I DREAMING?

Btw: New song sounds fun as hell. Man, Shawn is getting REALLY experimental on these new tracks.

All that's left is a tour announcement.

Inkblades

plagasx

Holy shit and they announced some tour dates. BROOKLYN NY LETS GOOOOO

defsteve

Quote from: plagasx on Aug 04, 2023, 07:06 AM
Holy shit and they announced some tour dates. BROOKLYN NY LETS GOOOOO

Have stickied/updated the Crosses tour dates thread.
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

Str8ght magic. There is always a moment in the pyramid of our lives when the apex is reached. Can't wait for the whole album

Inkblades

from_musings

It's been a long time coming but they finally managed to pull out a good song outta their asses. who woulda thunk it

Inkblades

Quote from: from_musings on Aug 05, 2023, 08:48 AM
It's been a long time coming but they finally managed to pull out a good song outta their asses. who woulda thunk it

Curious, what about this song do you like that you don't about the other ones?

I love it. Very experimental. this is reaching new levels, higher vibrations await

GlimmeringMaggit

This song has not left my head yet.
Formerly LG95

from_musings

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 05, 2023, 12:08 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Aug 05, 2023, 08:48 AM

Curious, what about this song do you like that you don't about the other ones?

i never had a problem with the sound of crosses, the idea of shaun and chino making ambient electro songs together is good on paper.
but it always seemed to me they just put in a bunch of bland sounds and wishy washy noice to random chords, then relying heavily on chino to make a good song of it.
50% of the time it doesn't go anywhere, 50% it sounds straight up bad. but it's a side project, it is what it is.

This time it actually feels like a cohisive song from start to finish, not just some half assed random ideas slapped together.

just listen how the verse shifts from beautiful yet haunting shit into harder triphop beats with attitude and balls, the transition is perfect.
even more prominent in the beakdown. the hook is just.. there, but it fits like glue making it a complete song. the closest they got before this was biatches brew

Inkblades

^ Fair enough.

I'm really curious how the El-P collab came about, always been a big fan of him and his production especially. I guess they specifically wanted a rapper for that song and reached out to him? Might be smart to make that the next single, they could get some crossover listens from rap/Run the Jewels fans. I also wonder if he'll make an appearance at the Brooklyn show being he's from there.

GlimmeringMaggit

Both features are really interesting in their own ways. I don't think either Shaun or Chino are the type to request a feature just for the sake of it, which means there was something about those tracks when they were working on them that made them think of El-P and Robert Smith.

I still can't get over that there's a song somewhere out there with Chino and Robert singing together.
Formerly LG95

Inkblades

Yeah, I know a Robert Smith duet is a huge milestone moment for Chino. I remember him saying on Mixlr how excited he was that Smith was working on the Teenager remix so this is probably like that x 1000.

Inkblades

And yeah, Invisible Hand is too damn catchy. Been stuck in my head for three days now and I don't think its leaving anytime soon.

Inkblades

I think the album is going to have a futuristic sound.

Interesting, can you elaborate on that?

Inkblades

Just going off Invisible Hand, some of the song titles, the 2022 songs and also this snippet Shaun posted with Chino in the studio about a month ago :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuAOYnQJNrM/

They do have a wide ranging sound so maybe not every song will be futuristic but I think at least some will be.