Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Holier is an all-time great Chino song for me. Love those melodies, those synths and those thick bass hits. They added a lot of flourishes to it too, the version I heard was more stripped down.

I'm gonna need some more time with Cadavre and Procession before I give my opinion on those. Well, besides Cadavre reminds me a bit of George Michael for some reason.

plagasx

Holier is great but I think I actually like Procession more. Not sure what to think of Cadavre yet lol. Overall, this is a VERY electronic sounding EP. Especially compared to the previous one. I dig it. I think Sensation is still my favorite of the released tracks thus far though.

GlimmeringMaggit

Day One has really grown on me.

I love this thing. Procession might actually be my least favourite at this stage but the way the melody drops down in the chorus is lovely (and Shaun's production on Chino's voice on that track is really interesting – accentuates it differently to how I've ever heard it used before).

Cadavre is smooth as hell. The climbing notes underneath the melody sound cool as hell.
Formerly LG95

Inkblades

Inkblades

I can tell Cadavre is one of those songs that I'll be like "This is okay" when I listen to it but then when I'm not listening to it it's stuck in my head all day. One of those songs that is sneaky about how good it is.

Procession has a really cool, trippy chorus. Not sure if I love the tinny vocal filter on Chino's voice on that one, though. Sounds better in the car than on the computer.

Fantastic EP all in all. Now when's the next one?

GlimmeringMaggit

I think this is the best thing they've done tbh. Every track's hitting in its own way. Day One is such a snug bop, grown on me so much since I heard it a few weeks ago.
Formerly LG95

nicklav

Procession's chorus is one of the best melodies Chino has written in a long time, IMO.

SMLiberator

Fantastic EP, I've seen a lot of mixed reactions to Day One but honestly I love it especially because of how unusual it sounds for Chino

Also, anyone else getting huge This Place is Death 2.0 vibes from Procession?
i'm confused??

Inkblades

Fucking around with playlist orders with the 2020's Crosses material, this flows together pretty well for an album:

1. Initiation
2. Vivien
3. Cadavre Exquis
4. Day One
5. The Beginning of the End
6. Protection
7. Goodbye Horses
8. Procession
9. Holier
10. Sensation

Inkblades

Interview with Chino and Shaun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drJdy9pVEWA&ab

plagasx

Ah, so happy they posted the interview. I missed out. Some interesting stuff in there. The future is bright for Crosses.

Inkblades

Lotta ††† news...

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/crosses-talk-heavier-new-music-2023-shows-winking-britney-spears

Things to note:

- Shaun calculates they have five more songs that are done and are in the midst of finishing up five more songs.
- Chino says this material is more "expansive" than what was on the EP. It seems like Initiation/Protection and Permanent.Radiant were the welcome back teasers and now the next release will be a full length (although you never know with this band).
- One of the new songs they've been working on is the heaviest thing they've ever done but it also has no guitars.
- They are looking at touring around Spring or Summer 2023. Maybe that will be around the time of the album.

Finally, rumor is another cover song is dropping tomorrow night. Should be a good one.

Inkblades

The George Michael cover is really good. Not an easy song to cover I imagine but they did it justice.

Chino and Shaun say in the NME interview that defsteve just posted that they are discussing how to release the next round of songs but aren't sure if they want to do more EP's or put it out in an album. Chino also confirms again that the rest of Deftones are currently writing without him and he likes that idea. I see that as I feel like Stephen might step his game up a bit if he's more the focal point in the song writing.

GlimmeringMaggit

Formerly LG95

defsteve

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

plagasx

Man, I'm so damn happy Crosses is back. Loved that cover. Really hope they remain consistent in 2023 and actually tour.

GlimmeringMaggit

Some cool interviews out there. This one is interesting because Chino mentions that they (at least at the moment) have decided they're going to release a full album

https://www.altwire.net/2022/12/23/interview-chino-moreno-shaun-lopez-crosses/
Initiation and protection were excellent introductions to the new era of Crosses, but interestingly enough, neither song features on permanent radiant. Do you feel like you would like to continue releasing other songs in that format where every once in a while, they're not connected to an ep or is your focus solely on a full length at this time?

Chino Moreno / Crosses: Honestly, I want to say that maybe just last week, we, lightweight, solidified the idea that we are going to do a full-length album. How many songs that consists of, we still haven't even really decided. We have, I want to say, over 20, you know, closer to 30, pretty strong ideas for songs. Some finished, some closer than others, but it runs a spectrum.

I like the idea of putting things out, especially when things come out unsolicited and sort of unexpected. It's exciting for me as a fan of music. I like it when I find stuff that is like that. So, I wouldn't count that out as something that we will do in the future, especially considering that we're sitting on so much material. But as far as for now, we have decided to focus on a full-length LP, and that's kind of where we're at today.
Formerly LG95

from_musings

Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 21, 2022, 10:50 PM
Lotta ††† news...

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/crosses-talk-heavier-new-music-2023-shows-winking-britney-spears

Things to note:

- Shaun calculates they have five more songs that are done and are in the midst of finishing up five more songs.
- Chino says this material is more "expansive" than what was on the EP. It seems like Initiation/Protection and Permanent.Radiant were the welcome back teasers and now the next release will be a full length (although you never know with this band).
- One of the new songs they've been working on is the heaviest thing they've ever done but it also has no guitars.

-The full length album reminds chino of white pony