Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharinglungs

Ghost ride is pretty good, no big hooks or chorus, it changes course in the last 30 seconds

surgery

plagasx

I really like Light as a Feather.. But I really hope the album has more guitar oriented songs. Not a fan of the more poppy uplifting stuff lol. Hope they got some more stuff that sounds closer to the first album. Initiation was a great start and they kinda went the pop Synth route since then.

surgery

The album has 1 5 new songs. 3 out now with the 1st single, so... Anyway Deftones is working on the 10th album, u can expect more guitar oriented there 4 sure

sharinglungs

I think I like ghost ride better then light as a feather but I like them both, hopefully we'll get something harder hitting before the album comes out.

GlimmeringMaggit

The original press release for the album featured a quote from Chino about it sounding more optimistic, a reflection of an upturn in his life during the recording process. I wouldn't be expecting a dark record, although I'm sure it'll be plenty dynamic. That rumbling, fat low end that Shaun's been accentuating since they came back  last year gives the songs enough on its own.

I still think last year's EP is the best thing they've released, and I think these new songs promise a lot from the album. Shaun's production has taken two steps forward since the first album, in my opinion.
Formerly LG95

surgery

I love them all. Let good vibes flow, no problem with that. I like basically every genre of music, thou.

Inkblades

Chino and Shaun did an hour long podcast interview talking about the album:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1Z2haGVQCS9AAd0xUFDm8Y?si=6ffb76e2816c4036

Will give it a listen later tonight.

GlimmeringMaggit

Cool chat. They didn't talk all that much about the record — bits and pieces, especially about the Robert Smith feature — but I enjoyed listening. Chino said he's been sober of alcohol for over a year.
Formerly LG95

surgery

Pretty cool. It's getting closer

Inkblades

Here's a Euro interview but it's a behind a paywall...damn it.

https://www.visions.de/features/storys-und-interviews/interview-mit-crosses-was-lange-waehrt/

Anyway two weeks to go - Interviews and reviews will probably start pouring in now.

surgery

They talk about El-P but 60 euros for a year. 6€ /month. 🤣

surgery

Inkblades

Nice! The Google language translate is wonky but here's some interesting bits I've parsed:

- Chino felt he was in a "mental labyrinth" when they first started working on the album four years ago that he isn't in anymore. So some lyrics on the album sound like "suffering" while others sound more positive. Labyrinths and mazes and escaping them is a recurring theme on the title track, Big Youth, Last Rites and Natural Selection.

- Pleasure has a "menacing bass" and a "cyberpunk" sound. Fuck. Yes.

- Last Rites has a "booming guitar riff" and "heavy drums" as well as "dream pop" elements. Potentially the most Deftones-esque song?

- Runner has a hissing error in its "opening synth sequence" that they kept in the song lol.

- The El-P collabo seems to have happened because Chino wasn't satisfied with his own performance on the Handsome Boy Modeling School song and felt a collab between them should be better. He's in contact with El and sent him Big Youth. El loved it, rewrote his own part several times and also helped mix the song. It also has an airhorn that has been used in Jamaican dancehall.

- It seems Chuck left because he wanted to take Crosses in a more "traditional direction" (more rockish?) while Chino and Shaun likely wanted to take the band in this more electronic/experimental direction.

- Chino "sings like he never has before" on Pulseplagg...to the point you might not realize its him? Reminds me of some people being confused if Chino was singing on The Beginning of the End cover lol.

- I get the feeling Robert Smith's part on Girls Float Boys Cry will be very subtle.

surgery

This is when things get really exciting, absolutely tidy

GlimmeringMaggit

Formerly LG95

Inexhale

sharinglungs

Where we seeing another song teased?

Inexhale

My fam was talking about being the next single, then I read about it here

GlimmeringMaggit

There were a couple of places listing a 6th October release for Big Youth, which doesn't seem to have come true.

Unless it's on VK again and I haven't seen it.
Formerly LG95