Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlimmeringMaggit

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 12, 2023, 04:52 PM
9/10 review from Distorted Sound Magazine:

https://distortedsoundmag.com/album-review-goodnight-god-bless-i-love-u-delete-%E2%80%A0%E2%80%A0%E2%80%A0-crosses/
A very engaged review. I read one on The Skinny earlier which hit all the perfunctory clichés of a 'side-project' review (project being a channel for the particular member to indulge some impulse unsatisfied in their regular band; even a throwaway "lite" criticism). A very cursory, distanced engagement.

The Distorted Sound reviewer contextualises and then expounds his intro much better, not because he likes the album more but because he evidently immersed himself in it.
Formerly LG95

surgery

This is just 1 of them; not everyone thinks the same way, of course.
I haven't found anything negative yet.

plagasx

Man, this album is REALLY electronic. Like almost TOO much at times. Totally different vibes from the first album. I dig it but I need more listens to really be critical.

So far my favs are Pleasure and Grace. Boys Cry too but man.. I really wished they gave Robert more to do on that haha.

Id say if you liked Death Bell off the first album you'll love this whole album pretty much.

Do miss the more Rock oriented sound tho..🫤 I feel Initiation was the best song they put out since their return. Had the perfect balance of old and new.

Also, maybe it's a little too light for me? I prefer the more darker stuff from the first.

Lugosi_Jaws

Crosses new album and I must say, it's more electronic than I anticipated. It's evident that Shawn has made extensive use of Ableton Live's stock sounds and sample libraries in his recording.

One track in particular,  "Runner", struck me with its distinct Com Truise vibe. I suspect this might be attributed to the drum patterns used. It's a standout piece that I find myself drawn to, along with "Eraser'' and "Goodnight God Bless"

Of course, the first two singles released were excellent, setting a high bar for the rest of the album.

surgery

The album is experimental and more electronic, but some people have to take into consideration that it's just 2 people now. Unlike previous projects that were 3. Runner is also in my focus, as well as Eraser and Goodnight, God Bless, I Love U, Delete. For now, I'm keeping an eye on the whole album as it's all new material, and I don't get tired of it.

kurtone

surgery

In total, there are 22 new dates so far, and there may be more revealed  4 sure Oh, let's see.

GlimmeringMaggit

Runner is my current favourite. Trying to resist rinsing that track for all it's worth.
Formerly LG95

surgery

It seems that no official music video was released on the album's launch day; perhaps it will be in the near future.

Inkblades

After more listens, I really don't think there's a bad song here. Each time I listen I have a new favorite. Even the two that didn't click with me much on my first listen, Found and Last Rites, grew on me a lot. Last Rites was stuck in my head all day.

If I do have a minor criticism, I feel like sometimes the drums on certain songs are a little too loud. I had the same problem with Holier, as much as I love it (one of my favorites from this whole run). Maybe that's just a preference thing though as I always want Chino's vocals to be in the forefront as much as possible and not like he's getting drowned out.

Anyway, huge props to Chino and Shaun for blessing us with over 20 songs in like a year and a half span. Awesome stuff.

GlimmeringMaggit

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 15, 2023, 01:18 AM
After more listens, I really don't think there's a bad song here. Each time I listen I have a new favorite. Even the two that didn't click with me much on my first listen, Found and Last Rites, grew on me a lot. Last Rites was stuck in my head all day.
Those were the two I wasn't sure of on first listen either, and they're both great. I love the disturbed synths in the midsection of Found — lovely little warped, introverted moment to play off the graceful longing chorus.
Formerly LG95

Inexhale

There are negative aspects in the album, with only 2 members present and the absence of Chuck. This doesn't mean it's a negative point for everyone, but those accustomed to the old sound can notice a different progression of the band

Draken

Bro gets Robert Smith on a track and uses him as a backup vocalist  ;D
Great album though, Pulseplagg is a fuckin banger.

Inexhale

^This reminds me of how they also used Serj Tankian 😂

Inexhale

I still remember taking down a 104x75cm Deftones poster when I heard that for the first time...

surgery

It seems that Dino Campanella won't be on tour either.

surgery

It's going to be the 2 of them, and there's already talk of someone to replace him

GlimmeringMaggit

Formerly LG95

surgery

This is noticeable: "We both come from being in rock bands, so it's so typical for us that 'this part's heavy', so big drums, loud guitars, and that's how we show this dynamic. I think we were experimenting with different ways of having these dynamics without having a traditional rock instrumentation. Experimenting with that was definitely different. On the last album, there was a lot more live band stuff – I mean, there were live drums on almost every song on the last album, whereas this one, there's none, actually."

plagasx

Hmm, you guys think with Chuck gone and no live drums they'll play any of the older stuff?? Man, i'd hate it if they didn't play Option or The Holy Ghost 😩