Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

So, the album is abrasive? That's a new way to describe it, at least.

nicklav

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 09, 2012, 03:50 PM
So, the album is abrasive? That's a new way to describe it, at least.

"At times" is a critical part of Chino's statement. Sounds like typical Deftones to me.

kitesvera

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ott-0810-deftones-20120809,0,5774086.story

Here's an interview with Abe. Not much in the way of news about the new album.These people need to learn how to conduct an interview when a band has a new album dropping. I want details already.

Shadow46/2

Quote from: kitesvera on Aug 09, 2012, 08:20 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ott-0810-deftones-20120809,0,5774086.story

Here's an interview with Abe. Not much in the way of news about the new album.These people need to learn how to conduct an interview when a band has a new album dropping. I want details already.

Sign in required. Any chance you could copy+paste the article for us?

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Vesanic

luisch

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Aug 09, 2012, 11:22 PM
Quote from: kitesvera on Aug 09, 2012, 08:20 PM

Sign in required. Any chance you could copy+paste the article for us?

Only skip the ad, but anyway

Deftones forge ahead after fights, tough times
Bandmate's crash focused the group, drummer says

By Allison Stewart, Special to the Tribune
11:40 a.m. CDT, August 9, 2012

It used to be that the Sacramento, Calif.-born Deftones were as famous for intra-band brawling as they were for making albums.

After bassist Chi Cheng was seriously injured in a 2008 car crash, the band considered breaking up. Instead, it entered the studio with replacement bassist Sergio Vega. (Cheng, who remains in a state of minimal consciousness, is being cared for by his family.)

The result, 2010's "Diamond Eyes," was one of the highest charting albums, and quite possibly the best, of their decades-long career.

The band recently recorded a new, as-yet-untitled album, tentatively set for release in October. Calling in from the first date of their minitour with System of a Down (which will share the bill with Deftones at Allstate Arena on Wednesday), drummer and co-founder Abe Cunningham talked about the new album, the group's past struggles, and the current state of the Deftones' union.

Q: How's the new material going over live?

A: It's nerve-racking because it's new and you're just trying to get it right, and it's also nerve-racking because now it's on YouTube, so it's all over the world.

Q: Can you compare recording this new album vs. recording the last one, in the time after Chi's accident?

A: Well, the last album was such a really horrendous process. Obviously, with your first record you have your whole life to write it. And then you get caught in this cycle of writing, recording, touring. It can be a hideous process after a while, (especially if) there's other things involved. For us, it could get a little unsavory.

But this last album and the one before it, we finally figured out how to do it. (It used to be) we would schedule recording for 5 and everyone would show up around 9, but this time we decided to treat it like a job, and be on a normal schedule. Everyone would show up at noon and we'd be done by 8, and could go and do other things. It started a creative and really productive period. And it only took 18 years to figure that out.

Q: With this new album, did you think about how you could recreate everything you loved about making the last one, without going to the really dark places you had been in?

A: Well, Chi's accident was a catalyst for that. It really kicked us into gear. We started to appreciate each other and the time we have together. It made us realize we have a pretty cool thing going on here, and let's treat it like that and enjoy it.

Q: Were you surprised when "Diamond Eyes" debuted at No. 6?

A: Well, all of our records with the exception of the first one have kind of been in the Top 10, I guess. But it used to take, like, 300,000 copies to break into the Top Ten. Now it takes 30,000 or 60,000.

Q: Did the album's success feel like the beginning of a second life for the band?

A: Yeah, definitely. We were going hard for a lot of years. It's a grueling lifestyle. It's a tough life on the road, and you can make it even tougher if you add things to it. It's incredibly exciting but it's hard, it's hard to get things all together, but I think things have a way of working themselves out. Everybody involved wanted to keep it going and do it right. So it is a second life of sorts.

Q: All those reports that the band was considering breaking up after Chi's accident — were they overblown, or did you really have that discussion?

A: I think that were overblown to a degree, but we were really so blown away. It's like, what do you do? We were trying to figure it out, because it's one of those things in life where there's no answers. That whole Chi thing, there's no answer for that. So we were taken aback, but looking back now, it made us stronger. It makes you consider whether or not it's something you want to still do, you know? It was a long battle.

Q: Do you ever think, in the back of your mind somewhere, "When Chi gets better, he's really going to like these albums?"

A: Yeah. Most definitely. It's fuel for our creativity. We're always trying to keep positive on that tip, but it's four years now and he's still pretty bad. We try to send him all the best positivity we can.

Q: Do you look at Sergio as a permanent temporary member?

A: It's a tricky situation, because Chi's still alive. As of now, Sergio's a friend who's here to do what he can for as long as he needs to. ... He's here to do whatever he can.
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

bojosoto

Quote from: luisch on Aug 10, 2012, 02:32 AM
Q: Do you look at Sergio as a permanent temporary member?

A: It's a tricky situation, because Chi's still alive. As of now, Sergio's a friend who's here to do what he can for as long as he needs to. ... He's here to do whatever he can.

Interesting answer from Abe. Obviously Chi getting better and recovering is what everyone wants, but he is pretty much a vegetable at this point (hope that didn't offend anyone). Sergio is still looked as a friend helping out, not a band member. Interesting.

normsteez

Interesting, I consider Sergio to be full member. If it wasn't for Sergio, deftones would probably not be making new music.

Check out this great interview from 2010 that was posted in the new gear thread:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/deftones-stephen-carpenter-sergio-vega-on-diamond-eyes-253377

Moving forward, how is this going to work? Is Sergio viewed as permanent member of the band?

Carpenter: "Absolutely."

Vega: "I look at myself as the sixth man off the bench. We've been friends for a long time and I've always loved the band. I look at the band as family, in whatever form that takes."

Carpenter: "We have many band members. They're just not always present all the time."

Obviously, nobody's happy with what happened with Chi. But in a weird way, does this feel like something of a rebirth for the band?

Carpenter: "Yeah, 'cause we were pretty washed-up before It happened, so it's been a good thing." [laughs]

You're joking, of course. But you know what I mean - this feels like a real 'triumph over adversity' tale.

Carpenter: "Oh, absolutely. We're having a good time. It's a duality for us. On one hand, we're dealing with the fact that our friend isn't with us and his life has been forever altered; on the other, we're all together and we're enjoying life to the fullest and getting on with things - which is all you can do, really."
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

normsteez

http://www.clintonnewsrecord.com/2012/08/10/deftones-stoked-for-latest-disc

Deftones stoked for latest disc

JASON MacNEIL, Special to QMI Agency

California hard rock outfit Deftones won't see their as-yet untitled studio album out until October. But lead singer/guitarist Chino Moreno seems to be chomping at the bit to tour behind it.

And unlike earlier studio albums, Moreno says the band didn't second-guess themselves much this time around.

"Internally over the years we've figured out better ways of making records," he says before a Washington D.C. gig later that evening. "We sort of just dragged them out for so long. We implemented a new regiment to our work ethic. We wrote it all from scratch, we don't write on tour or anything like that. We were ready to go in there (the studio) and see how it feels in the daytime and get to work."

Moreno also says the new record, the followup to 2010's Diamond Eyes, was never going to end up like their equivalent of Chinese Democracy.

"We can make a record and not spend years making it and just enjoy doing it," he says. "We came off that tour feeling really good and when we wanted to make this record everyone was in the right head space so it worked out really well."

Although the song titles and album name haven't been hashed out, the vocalist says it's a "very well-balanced record" but "more expansive" than Diamond Eyes. Two of the new songs with working titles Roller Derby and Rosemary are being road-tested with Moreno saying they've fared quite well live.

"I don't think those songs are the ones that best represent our record," he says. "They're two different songs, one is a lot more ambient (Rosemary) than the other (Roller Derby), the other is a lot more aggressive. But they're cool, they balance each other out. The songs already sounded great live before we recorded them. When we wrote the record we pretty much wrote it live."

After a handful of summer festival dates, Deftones will be touring extensively behind the new record with a planned North American trek (with Canadian dates) in the cards for October and November. The group will also continue their knack for eclectic covers as b-sides. Moreno mentioned Elvis Presley and Earth, Wind & Fire as candidates but are open to anything.

"The fun stuff is playing somebody else's song and recording it," he says. "We're always open to new stuff. It's fun for us to do something that's out of our element and something you wouldn't expect from a heavier type of rock band. So hopefully it will be something that's a little off the cuff and left of centre."

Perhaps the only thing that surprised Moreno is talk of possible plans for the band's 25th anniversary next year.

"Is it? Wow," he says recalling it "was just us in a garage" back in 1988. "It is kind of crazy in that we've been doing this for well over half our lives. I mean I didn't even realize that. You're actually the first person to bring that up. It's a trip. We're getting old."
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

def-head

Heads up, chino and Sergio are on liquid metal right now

iceache

def-head

No i didnt record it. I caught the second half of it. They were picking songs, talked about Chi and the tour. I look for replays later, but it was on the 8 th originally and was a half hour show.

luisch

def-head

Sorry V, didn't record it. I was listening to it in my Jeep. If they replay it this weekend I'll try and record it thru my pc

Vesanic

luisch

luisch

Quote from: normsteez on Aug 10, 2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.clintonnewsrecord.com/2012/08/10/deftones-stoked-for-latest-disc

Deftones stoked for latest disc

JASON MacNEIL, Special to QMI Agency

California hard rock outfit Deftones won't see their as-yet untitled studio album out until October. But lead singer/guitarist Chino Moreno seems to be chomping at the bit to tour behind it.

And unlike earlier studio albums, Moreno says the band didn't second-guess themselves much this time around.

"Internally over the years we've figured out better ways of making records," he says before a Washington D.C. gig later that evening. "We sort of just dragged them out for so long. We implemented a new regiment to our work ethic. We wrote it all from scratch, we don't write on tour or anything like that. We were ready to go in there (the studio) and see how it feels in the daytime and get to work."

Moreno also says the new record, the followup to 2010's Diamond Eyes, was never going to end up like their equivalent of Chinese Democracy.

"We can make a record and not spend years making it and just enjoy doing it," he says. "We came off that tour feeling really good and when we wanted to make this record everyone was in the right head space so it worked out really well."

Although the song titles and album name haven't been hashed out, the vocalist says it's a "very well-balanced record" but "more expansive" than Diamond Eyes. Two of the new songs with working titles Roller Derby and Rosemary are being road-tested with Moreno saying they've fared quite well live.

"I don't think those songs are the ones that best represent our record," he says. "They're two different songs, one is a lot more ambient (Rosemary) than the other (Roller Derby), the other is a lot more aggressive. But they're cool, they balance each other out. The songs already sounded great live before we recorded them. When we wrote the record we pretty much wrote it live."

After a handful of summer festival dates, Deftones will be touring extensively behind the new record with a planned North American trek (with Canadian dates) in the cards for October and November. The group will also continue their knack for eclectic covers as b-sides. Moreno mentioned Elvis Presley and Earth, Wind & Fire as candidates but are open to anything.

"The fun stuff is playing somebody else's song and recording it," he says. "We're always open to new stuff. It's fun for us to do something that's out of our element and something you wouldn't expect from a heavier type of rock band. So hopefully it will be something that's a little off the cuff and left of centre."

Perhaps the only thing that surprised Moreno is talk of possible plans for the band's 25th anniversary next year.

"Is it? Wow," he says recalling it "was just us in a garage" back in 1988. "It is kind of crazy in that we've been doing this for well over half our lives. I mean I didn't even realize that. You're actually the first person to bring that up. It's a trip. We're getting old."

Here, bud