Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Boss

Quote from: mandalay on Sep 15, 2020, 11:21 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 15, 2020, 05:06 AM
I don't really have time for a two hour interview. What's the time mark for the Eros talk? Any other important/interesting info?
Stef also said he took a backseat in the songwriting process on Ohms, but that his parts are mixed into the songs.  He basically said the songwriting process was pretty similar to Gore.  But that the song Ohms (as well as Rubicon on Gore) are all his.

So is this another Gore situation? Because everything we've heard so far prior to this seems to indicate that everyone was involved and present during the process. That they can all be heard. Is Steph indicating that he was distant on Ohms like Gore while  Chino is trying to spin a different narrative?

sharinglungs

I think he's just saying that he didn't write the songs. Like he wrote ohms, that's Stephen's song. But the rest is full band, everyone has their hands in it.

He also says he plays the 9 string in a couple of the songs, it's not super present but it's there.

buflen

Quote from: I_Know_ok on Sep 15, 2020, 10:54 AM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 15, 2020, 05:43 AM
Thank god Stef doesn't have full control of the deftones sound because it'd be chino singing over Meshuggah riffs.

Quote from: buflen on Sep 15, 2020, 09:25 AM
Kinda sucks that stef can't write the riffs he'd naturally write if he had full control over the music.

lol
both can be true. I wouldn't like it personally, but it sucks for him, it makes sense why he's not as involved anymore in the writing process..

buflen

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 15, 2020, 03:06 PM
I think he's just saying that he didn't write the songs. Like he wrote ohms, that's Stephen's song. But the rest is full band, everyone has their hands in it.

He also says he plays the 9 string in a couple of the songs, it's not super present but it's there.
He did mention it was mostly chino and sergio's idea. Doesn't mean he did not contribute more on these ideas than on gore. But after his meshuggah comments, it all makes sense IMO, and I trust chino more to keep deftones sounding like deftones than Stef.

N0S3BLEED976

Stef's Corona talk is just embarrassing. It's a good thing shows are cancelled right now. Yeah, the average person is likely to survive, but if it weren't for social distancing and mask policies, deaths of the sick and elderly would go through the roof again. Hard to see such an inspiring musician be so susceptible to conspiracies and Trump's lies.

Vesanic

I recommend a watch of that chat with Stef. Like it's been said, he's always very candid about stuff and tells you directly about the stuff you're curious about. It's a great contrast with Chino being relatively mystical about things. It's, no exaggeration, the most interesting Stef interview I've ever seen, and one of Deftones most interesting, hands down.

He's such a big fan of Meshuggah lol, I love it. As this huge Deftones fan I am, I can relate, it makes me feel a little more proud about it.

I don't get the stance on Eros. If I had to guess, I'd say Chino says it's halfway done because it needs a lot more vocals, and the ones he already recorded, he wasn't sold on. And maybe he had other ideas in mind for the music. On the other hand, Stef says the instrumentation is finished because he's happy with what was recorded and doesn't think it needs any change.

I loved hearing about how things went down when Chi got his infection after the 99 Australia Warped tour.

I'm only halfway into it so I haven't heard any Corona kinda talk but I wouldn't care too much about that.

Vesanic

I also want to say I wouldn't mind if Stef took a lot more of the creative lead, especially guitar tone wise. The breakdown of Rats is as death metal as it gets and I really wish I could hear some more of THOSE Deftones.

buflen

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 15, 2020, 05:00 PM
I also want to say I wouldn't mind if Stef took a lot more of the creative lead, especially guitar tone wise. The breakdown of Rats is as death metal as it gets and I really wish I could hear some more of THOSE Deftones.
I prefer Stephen's melodic yet heavy riffs (ie KimDracula, street carp... all of ATF) over his djent CHUGCHUGCHUG riffs. It's great in small doses but it gets old fast.

Vesanic

I'm looking forward to whatever they decide to do online. I don't see them playing live... Drop these old live sets.  ;D

LG95

The main riff on Rats is definitely inspired by the start of I by Meshuggah.
I could float here forever

Draken

Quote from: buflen on Sep 15, 2020, 06:02 PM
I prefer Stephen's melodic yet heavy riffs (ie KimDracula, street carp... all of ATF) over his djent CHUGCHUGCHUG riffs. It's great in small doses but it gets old fast.
I completely agree, songs like Doomed User, Rats, even his riff on DE are like that CHUGGA CHUGGA and they are not necessarily that brilliant sounding. I like the songs don't get me wrong but to me they sound exactly what it is: Stef doing Meshuggah while the rest of the band does their thing. They're more interesting songs are when they are just them, i.e. BQAD, Digital Bath, etc.

Sleeping_Giant

Interesting fact I didn't know about - best song on Gore was written by Stef.

Would be cool to hear one experimental record from them with Stef not sitting in the back seat this time. Unfortunately it won't happen.

mandalay

Quote from: buflen on Sep 15, 2020, 06:02 PM
Same.  I've always thought of Stef's trademark sound as the brash/bright/dissonant tones that he's able to achieve and are very unique to him, as is his overall tone.  The djent riffs are a bit derivative and start pigeonholing their sound.  One of the upsides of having Chino on guitar is that it offsets some of that by both the sounds themselves but also the way it forces Stef to work around it.

I_Know_ok

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Sep 16, 2020, 01:31 AM
Interesting fact I didn't know about - best song on Gore was written by Stef.

Would be cool to hear one experimental record from them with Stef not sitting in the back seat this time. Unfortunately it won't happen.

Yea. Rubicon is probably my fav song on that album. Shit was epic when I saw them play it live.

Hidalgo

yea lets get back to deftones related stuff. take this to the political topics

Roidragee

Its ok guys relax the Clippers lost today keep ya heads up

I_Know_ok

Draken

guys look it's a puppy! look at the wittle guy  :D he says "powitics? wats dat?"

Hidalgo

i wonder if genesis will leak 1 day early like Ohms did. the song anyway. we definitely have to wait until the 18th for the video

Inkblades

It will because New Zealand gets the song early due to its time zone. I'm gonna wait for the video.