Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Occult Themes in Deftones?

Started by bloody_liver, Jan 11, 2011, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

I didn't remember the UpVenue interview.

Jerry_Curls

BAPHOMET

"The Baphomet of Lévi was to become an important figure within the cosmology of Thelema, the mystical system established by Aleister Crowley in the early twentieth century."

Aleister Crowley is a theosophist, occultist...

I love how some the comments in this thread try to say that Chino and/or Deftones have no occultist ties or references...yet we keep finding more. No one is saying they personally practice theosophy or are satanists, but their ARE many examples that show that they do use occult themes in their music, imagery, and tattoos [ ;) ]
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

shine down unshy

They're trying to keep us from exposing them.  Fuck the naysayers.

from_musings

what if chino just walked into a tattoo studio and said he wanted a new tat.got a book with tattooes to choose from and saw it and said "woooow what an awesome animal...i want it, it looks kwl".  and the tattooist goes"oh the Baphomet? this "animal" is actually a goat from the 11th century latin which
in occul.."and chino went yeah yeah, i said i wanted it, jeez, just put it on me

pony_01

It needs BALLS to put a Baphomet tattoo on your body.. just sayin

thewanderer

I can't believe no one has mentioned steph's inverted red pentagram on his right arm. I think he got it recently.
Sometimes I hear certain sounds, and they make my dick really fucking hard.........

deftoolsys07

not sure why no one's posted this yet,

this is obvious to me why he uses these kinds of imagery in his artwork as i've always had the same opinion. I'm not christian but i think religious art is kind of.. i dunno creepy and shit... and it's deep.. same with the occult shit...

this is from the same interview where he said that we're a bunch of motherfuckers here on SL hahahaha

It sounds like you're seeking something spiritual and fulfilling, instead of some kind of specific religious dogma.
MORENO: It's more of an artistic thing than anything literal. I think it's awesome that I play with a lot of these things in the lyrics, as well. I've always been into religious art, the occult and a lot of different things—not because I follow [them], but because I am intrigued by it all. I'm always reading about it, whether it be on the dark side or on the lighter side of things. I'm always intrigued by it and I think it fits well with the dark, erotic kind of vibe of the music.

Usually when we are making this music, we usually put up some movie on the TV in the studio. A lot of the movies we put up are really weirdo, visual movies, usually from the '60s and '70s. A lot of them are weirdo, religion-sort-of-based and satanic-sort-of-based. I love visual inspiration while I'm making music. That stuff is always inspiring to me. Those movies—back in that era, before CGI and any of that—it's just amazing to just have up whether you're tracking a guitar, tracking bass, or singing. It's cool to look over and see this bugged-out whatever. [Laughs.]
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

deftoolsys07

Quote from: thewanderer on Nov 15, 2011, 01:24 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned steph's inverted red pentagram on his right arm. I think he got it recently.

i think he's had that for years now, actually.. i noticed it back in 06 or so unless he's gotten a new one
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

downtownpony

This is
Your Test... Come Forth, Confess! Extend
Your Tongue, Speak Out, Go On.
Shedding Your Skin, Showing Your Texture. Time to Let
Everything Inside Show.

Bifrost

Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 10, 2011, 07:23 PM

LOL seriously... when I saw that I was like wow, ha

I dont think the whole band is into it but to me its obvious Chino has been exploring it(the occult that is)... how deep has he explored I dont know but the lyric's since white pony have started in that direction, look at the lyrics to Rosemary

I always felt like the lyrics in Diamond eyes were referring to the prophecy of Enoch, not sure if anyone is familiar with that...

alan1o

No .. you guys are finding things where there aren't any. Deftones have stated on numerous occasions that they're not religious. To believe in the occult you'd need to be religious. And Illuminati .. lol cmon.

M1GHTY M4VS

Haha, you know what we germans have had this fucking baphoment on or passport for more than half a century, and this declares our whole identity by birth without having any chance against it. It's like beeing hated because of beeing black, asian or not believing in things.
http://www.cremationofcare.com/images/symbols/german_id_card/Pic3.JPG

The hints are there so if you translate our passport to english it's not passport but Personal-ID-Card, that leads all my identity is based on this thing.
Personal like employed people, but whom for you ask, well I'm sure it's a hidden brand mark, given by our 4 Invader countries namingly USA, UK, France and Russia.
We're like a Stallion that has this one stenciled in with hot metal. Employed for supplying the World with the best cars and dumb at anything else and kept below curtains for obvious reasons, yet I think it's a hidden message given that we have this sign and at the same time still have very few people that still think it's 1945.

Jews are about the same with their Hexagram, I always wondered why they're so unpopular world wide whether in christian or muslim society. Certainly I'm not going further but I'm not the only one that sees something bad coming for all of us and it's just a matter of time: "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

It's better not to worry too much as if anyone knows anything we wouldn't want to know more. I think the Hexagram is one of the most known shape worldwide, no wonder deftones have adopted it and play it a role in something big, because it is really all around.

pony_01

Quote from: Bifrost on Sep 21, 2012, 05:52 PM

seriously, because i dont think chino is that stupid like some people who got a tattoo but dont know what it means.

Bifrost

Quote from: M1GHTY M4VS on Sep 21, 2012, 07:53 PM

Haha, you know what we germans have had this fucking baphoment on or passport for more than half a century, and this declares our whole identity by birth without having any chance against it. It's like beeing hated because of beeing black, asian or not believing in things.

It's better not to worry too much as if anyone knows anything we wouldn't want to know more. I think the Hexagram is one of the most known shape worldwide, no wonder deftones have adopted it and play it a role in something big, because it is really all around.

have you ever heard of the occult maxim hidden in plain sight?

I mean the US Dollar bill has some of the most esoteric symbology there is, ask a mason, but its there for everyone to see because most folks dont know what it means or disregard it as innocuous...

M1GHTY M4VS

I get what you mean Bifrost, just a matter of time until their goal is reached unfortunately...

Sett

There are bands out there who have many masonry symbols in their music (Dream Theater), but Deftones is not one of them

Typing_Monkey

I certainly hope not but it seems that every band is the hands of the illumanti nowadays. Deftones are certainly not an expection as the merchandise gets freakier every day;

Mind control butterflies (check vigilantcitizen.com)

All seeying eye, pyramids, its all there.

Teknoman

Quote from: pony_01 on Sep 21, 2012, 08:06 PM

seriously, because i dont think chino is that stupid like some people who got a tattoo but dont know what it means.

Well... it seems he is stupid after all. LoL  ;D

QuoteOn a completely unrelated note. I was looking at photos from the Big Day Out and noticed the demon tattoo on your right bicep. When did you get that done?

Oh, the baphomet? I got that a few months ago in Belgium.

Is there a significance behind it?

I don't know. I mean, I have other religious tattoos as well. I like the art a lot. I'm really into religious art, but I don't feel too strongly about any one religion. I just take it as it looks. It's probably the only tattoo I've got that I really appreciate, and really like. I wanted a baphomet, and I had a guy draw it up the way I wanted it. He did it perfect, so it's like, you know, something fun to look at.

source: http://www.thevine.com.au/music/interviews/deftones-interview/

I make music too

Playhouse

Quote from: Teknoman on Sep 26, 2012, 04:12 AM
Quote from: pony_01 on Sep 21, 2012, 08:06 PM

Well... it seems he is stupid after all. LoL  ;D

QuoteOn a completely unrelated note. I was looking at photos from the Big Day Out and noticed the demon tattoo on your right bicep. When did you get that done?

Oh, the baphomet? I got that a few months ago in Belgium.

Is there a significance behind it?

I don't know. I mean, I have other religious tattoos as well. I like the art a lot. I'm really into religious art, but I don't feel too strongly about any one religion. I just take it as it looks. It's probably the only tattoo I've got that I really appreciate, and really like. I wanted a baphomet, and I had a guy draw it up the way I wanted it. He did it perfect, so it's like, you know, something fun to look at.

source: http://www.thevine.com.au/music/interviews/deftones-interview/
why is he stupid?

people are people

Quote from: bodywars9000 on Jan 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
I think there's a bit in there for sure, mostly Chino i'd imagine.
It's some kind of subliminal subtext. There's so many themes going on all the time, most mysterious, but the occult is definitely there on some level, imo especially from S/T on.

Royal reminds me of fucking aliens, which could be considered occult depending on how you look at at, like that ancient aliens theory that gods are aliens and vice versa. And "Diamond Eyes", with the fuckin owls?
I think there's definitely something going on there, i don't care what Chino said in interviews. Not like he's going to come out and say, "yeah the concept of alot of the albums is aliens and higher life forms and our return to a primitive and enlightened state of oneness with the universe" or whatever the hell it is. He'd rather let people draw their own conclusions. I could care less, i hope to never know for sure cuz i'd prolly be dissapointed. I think he knows this by now about listeners since he's one himself.
It's like if Damone's your favorite song and you have an idea what it's about for you and it's really meaningful and then you see an interview where he says it's about Rumplestiltskin.

Someone with Brain !  (I will not put my balls and say that the album Diamond Eyes(not the all album of course!)is basically influenced by this movie,but if not,it's a such goddamn coincidence)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNqr7B5RRcI "The Fourth Kind"

Deftones Themselves Shared this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhz9TE5FuMk Director: Kenneth Anger, "Lucifer Rising"

When a band have the collaboration of the Genius Maynard James Keenan in the album when Chino Moreno have Crosses (now palms too) when you understand the basic about any religion or occult or some theories, basically, WHEN YOU LIKE METAL, true bands of metal,you don't need to be a genius or search deep to see if some band have influences in some theme,if you don't interpret things like to be occult or whatever, you don't need to try be funny, you fucking dipshit poser...now the irony,Tool always gods.
TOOL Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned (w/lyrics)