Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Occult Themes in Deftones?

Started by bloody_liver, Jan 11, 2011, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwerveCityUSA

Deftones are one of the best Jesus loving bands out there. that's why they are so creative, especially chino with these lyrics. wordplay.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

Martin

Interesting topic. Must say, that Baphomet tattoo kinda freaked me out. And the footage of them making a pentagram on tour freaked me out too...from the short tourvideo's they did in 2007 (surprised it hasn't been posted on here);
http://youtu.be/D-BWB4Db6q4

DeftonesNZ

I don't think it matters that he has that, I remember a interview Chino did and it was mainly about tattoo's and he said he purely chooses them on aesthetics and doesn't take any religious meaning they may have behind them and just treats as pieces of art not attached to some higher meaning. Also I'm guessing that pentagram was for a photoshoot or something either that or just fucking around,I don't any of this seriously anyway I believe you could find suggestions of occult themes in any band if you looked hard enough and also I think it would be more obvious if they were.

people are people

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 04, 2013, 12:56 PM
I think it would be more obvious if they were.

LOL thats why we call it "Occult"... and it's not obvious for you man...like you said:
:
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 04, 2013, 12:56 PM
I don't any of this seriously

I agree with your comment but

People don't need to search deep ...
You don't like horror movies,myths,black metal,stoner rock, etc lol?...i just think that is funny that Crowley is a figure that inspire so many artists,
Crowley's photo appeared on the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album cover lol, so many MAINSTREAM artists like TOOL, David Bowie, Marilyn Manson have Crowley influences lol and i mean much more bands have only in the mainstream side... whats the problem if they do what they do...the occult is not a bad thing,like Danny Carey says

Unfortunately,To christians etc... some knowledge is a scary thing that could tear down the walls of their little fortress they have spent many years building and reinforcing around themselves, so its much easier to label something as "evil" rather than have their security jeopardized, and leave themselves vulnerable to infinite chaos. I have found that courage is always rewarded when trying to find truth and beauty for what it is, rather than what someone has told you it is. I say always trust in your own divinity and your explorations will not go unfulfilled, and by the way, the word occult simply means hidden. 

I remember Once Stephen or Chino said "knife party" was influenced by the movie "eyes wide shut" but the song its about something like a secret society, about people that cut themselves in a sexual ritual or something like that lol... they have so many songs influenced by "satanic"(haha) movies lolz
like some people said before, deftones a long time ago, shared in myspace pictures about bohemian groove (the owl) haha

See this:
DECEPTION (Lilith- Part 55)

Deftones - Diamond Eyes (Official Music Video)

you think that i searched deep? (only one simply association, nothing more, like you said, i could associate much more things about this song, like i did before for example in my last comment haha)

Now read this:

Quote from: deftoolsys07 on Nov 16, 2011, 10:19 AM
not sure why no one's posted this yet,

this is obvious to me why he uses these kinds of imagery in his artwork as i've always had the same opinion. I'm not christian but i think religious art is kind of.. i dunno creepy and shit... and it's deep.. same with the occult shit...

this is from the same interview where he said that we're a bunch of motherfuckers here on SL hahahaha

It sounds like you're seeking something spiritual and fulfilling, instead of some kind of specific religious dogma.
MORENO: It's more of an artistic thing than anything literal. I think it's awesome that I play with a lot of these things in the lyrics, as well. I've always been into religious art, the occult and a lot of different things—not because I follow [them], but because I am intrigued by it all. I'm always reading about it, whether it be on the dark side or on the lighter side of things. I'm always intrigued by it and I think it fits well with the dark, erotic kind of vibe of the music.

Usually when we are making this music, we usually put up some movie on the TV in the studio. A lot of the movies we put up are really weirdo, visual movies, usually from the '60s and '70s. A lot of them are weirdo, religion-sort-of-based and satanic-sort-of-based. I love visual inspiration while I'm making music. That stuff is always inspiring to me. Those movies—back in that era, before CGI and any of that—it's just amazing to just have up whether you're tracking a guitar, tracking bass, or singing. It's cool to look over and see this bugged-out whatever. [Laughs.]

I could write all night long about deftones and "occult" Chino plays with these themes, its not like he would come and say yeah my tattoos about "baphomet"
its because i believe in that kind of stuff and my lyrics are all about paranormal related stuff muahaha...
everything matters in a way or another and people believe what they want to believe...

DeftonesNZ

Yeah I knew they had touched on it but it's like the number 13 movie if you look you will find it no matter what band if they were truly abosorbed with and lived by the occult it would be even more prevalent but I think like you said they just find it interesting and use it as an influence and I can't blame them I love music with some mystery if it was all about normal life it would be boring as fuck, I also remember them saying that when they hang out they spend alot of time talking about conspiracies and other stuff like that because they find it interesting. Also you missed the most obvious Crowley reference by Ozzy lol

pony_01

look at their twitter profile picture! and that diamond eyes symbolism! symbolism everywhere!

people are people

Quote from: pony_01 on Aug 22, 2013, 04:51 AM
look at their twitter profile picture! and that diamond eyes symbolism! symbolism everywhere!

lolz yeah, it's so obvious, at least for me...i just find it so annoying when people come in with cliches phrases and ways of thinking,we live in the 21st century everyone can do a little research about anything in the internet or in a library if you think that anything of this is satanic or "evil" lolz omfg...

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Aug 22, 2013, 12:17 AM
they just find it interesting and use it as an influence and I can't blame them I love music with some mystery if it was all about normal life it would be boring as fuck, I also remember them saying that when they hang out they spend alot of time talking about conspiracies and other stuff like that because they find it interesting. Also you missed the most obvious Crowley reference by Ozzy lol

F~ck yeah and the Prince of Darkness Ozzy Osbourne xD i just think they play with this stuff and people believe in what they want to believe.

Subliminal

The last time I met Steph was at the Diamond Eyes release party/gig in London and I asked him what the Pentagram/Hex/Pyramid logo was all about in the Diamond Eyes booklet/cd case and he said he had no idea what it was or where it came from.

We was talking about the NWO/Illuminati too, for a good hour, but was talking along the lines of how fucked up the world is because of the system. So there's a little insight.

Steph's side-project is called Sol Invicto too, taken from Sol Invictus, a Roman Sun God.

Deftones have often used the Reptilian from Star Trek as their avatar on social media too, I'm sure some of the guys know what's up and use the symbolism to their own advantage.

deftoolsys07

I think people are looking waaaaaaay too much into this... I think Chino said himself it's not that he believes the shit or practices anything, the imagery just looks cool... I'm the same way. I like some religious art, but I am not religious. Also, as far as any graphics on their albums or anything, do you guys really think the band has anything to do with the album covers or anything? They hire companies to do that shit for them, then I'm sure they look at it and say "oh that's cool" and publish it...
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

SwerveCityUSA

I don't even know what occult shit is or who started this.

Chino's lyrics to me are always about interaction with a woman and relationship. just cool metaphors and words describing that.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

pony_01

do you really think reptillian is real and exist????

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: deftoolsys07 on Sep 11, 2013, 01:05 AM
I think people are looking waaaaaaay too much into this... I think Chino said himself it's not that he believes the shit or practices anything, the imagery just looks cool... I'm the same way. I like some religious art, but I am not religious. Also, as far as any graphics on their albums or anything, do you guys really think the band has anything to do with the album covers or anything? They hire companies to do that shit for them, then I'm sure they look at it and say "oh that's cool" and publish it...

It's called a discussion. No one is looking "waaaaaaaaay" into this. Its obvious. I've pointed out some occult links in Deftones imagery/lyrics/videos etc. and so have others. No one has stated that they are trying to send a message or anything, just that there ARE these themes within their world. This topic has never come up before this thread and I think it's an important one.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Subliminal

Quote from: pony_01 on Sep 11, 2013, 06:01 AM

Definitely a possibility, for sure.

DeftonesNZ

I don't really buy into it there's no real weight to the idea I think it's just more interesting than the boring truth

pony_01

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 11, 2013, 10:45 AM
I don't really buy into it there's no real weight to the idea I think it's just more interesting than the boring truth

exactly. thats what i think it is.

Make_shift Destiny

Seems this one has died down due to a lack of new deftones material. Since the lyrics are the main things that we find to be associated with the occult, I suggest we keep track of whatever projects chino (the creator of deftones lyrics) is in...
I have created a similar thread in the Crosses section.
Give her what you know she wants

Northcal

Chino reptilian /mexican duhh retards 8)

SoulAudacious

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Jun 03, 2013, 03:28 AM
Deftones are one of the best Jesus loving bands out there. that's why they are so creative, especially chino with these lyrics. wordplay.

Somebody gets the music Deftones make!! Makes me happy because it seems like too many see the symbolisms in their art and music but don't continue to think with the symbols. Not seeing the point of what Chino ever says in the sounds. Thanks, SwerveCityUSA. My day is made :-* :-* :-* :-*

defTHE1s

Well, there's a say that says: "El que busca, encuentra" (He who seeks finds) so, there will be a lot of referencies related to occult themes or another things, like use of drugs, religion, politics, sci-fi, etc, and also a lot of bands nowadays use many symbology related, so, wether it's an isnpiration for them or a well created-imaginated history (like Cult of Luna's album, Eternal Kingdom), it is open to what everyone wants or chooses to believe, unless the band itself speaks for it.
On the other side, I was thinking about asking Stef and all the other members of the band if they ask Chino what is about certain song or lyrics, or they just let Chino do his writing without ask him "hey, what this song talks about?"... But, I didn't have the chance to talk to them...

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...