Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Occult Themes in Deftones?

Started by bloody_liver, Jan 11, 2011, 08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloody_liver

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Jan 14, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, I also feel that "Royal" at least ostensibly has an extra-terrestrial contact theme in the lyrics. I also think that Chino is very inspired by the whole Twin Peaks franchise where things like Occultism/Spirituality and extra-terrestrial contact are sort of conflated into one big mess of questions and symbols. Plus there is the white horse symbol used a few times in the film and series. I think that symbol partially inspired the titling of White Pony, not to mention them opening the shows in that era with one of the Twin Peaks themes. Combine that with the whole "The owls are not what they seem" theme from Twin Peaks and its potential correlation with the Diamond Eyes artwork. I know that's just drawing parallels between Deftones and Twin Peaks itself but I think there is a general interest amongst at least some of the band members and all the esoteric studies that are utilized throughout the film and series.

An interesting thing about David Lynch is that he's so well respected for making abstract films while never explaining them. I get this sense that Chino is like the David Lynch of heavy metal.

The beauty of it is that like David Lynch movies, Deftones songs have this level where you feel like it's all just a dream, and then another where you feel like it's some dark reality, and then another one where it's just a descriptive way to associate abstract forms with everyday emotions like anger, lust, and so on.

one weak

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Jan 14, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, I also feel that "Royal" at least ostensibly has an extra-terrestrial contact theme in the lyrics. I also think that Chino is very inspired by the whole Twin Peaks franchise where things like Occultism/Spirituality and extra-terrestrial contact are sort of conflated into one big mess of questions and symbols. Plus there is the white horse symbol used a few times in the film and series. I think that symbol partially inspired the titling of White Pony, not to mention them opening the shows in that era with one of the Twin Peaks themes. Combine that with the whole "The owls are not what they seem" theme from Twin Peaks and its potential correlation with the Diamond Eyes artwork. I know that's just drawing parallels between Deftones and Twin Peaks itself but I think there is a general interest amongst at least some of the band members and all the esoteric studies that are utilized throughout the film and series.
interesting.

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: bloody_liver on Jan 11, 2011, 08:10 PM
I remember when Deftones used to post cellphone pics from the studios before SNW and there were some creepy images like this...

Somewhere in passing I heard someone talking about secret cults and they mentioned how The Illuminati worships this Owl God

I was wondering if there's some overall occult theme to the music that's under the surface. I'm not saying that there is some Divinci Code or anything. But I definitely think there's an influence or meta theme that's pretty eerie.

Any thoughts?

Well that first image that I guess came from their myspace page, was so interesting to me that I actually made this account so I could tell you what it says.
It is written in Arabic, but it is a bible verse from Revelations 8:10-11
"The third angel blew his trumpet, and a great flaming star fell out of the sky, burning like a torch. It fell upon one-third of the rivers and on the springs of water. The name of the star was Bitterness. It made one-third of the water bitter, and many people died because the water was so bitter."

As for the second picture I'm not sure why you posted it. Owls have been used by many cultures since ancient times, and are still used today. They can mean different things, but usually represent wisdom. They have never been an illuminati symbol. The supposed illuminati don't worship an owl god they wosrship Ba'al or the devil but more likely they worship themselves, example the saying "As above so below" they seek to create heaven on earth implying that man is god. That is my take on it anyway.

Is the reason for your owl picture because of Diamond Eyes using the white owl? That is totally different. The great white owl is a symbol in Native American culture that represents a warning (usually a warning of death) or a sign that you should seek inner sight.

Jerry_Curls

Better picture..

Owls see in the dark. Lucifer=Light.  Light/Dark...as above so below. Theosopists are really into opposites to create the perfect balance.

Minerva/Athena[Greek] is usually represented by an OWL. She was the goddess of magic [magick?] and the inventor of music (interesting ties to the song). Athena is associated with Isis...Wife of Osirus and mother of Horus. These three are key figures in masonic symbolism/ritual...

And like ^you  said...Owls are a symbol of death which can also be represented by skull and bones.  

AS ABOVE SO BELOW [AASB]
can be represented by a Hexagram...

Which can also be represented by the Freemason symbol [As long as the points of the angle are going opposite directions, this represents AASB]

Hmmm......Sacramento isn't that far from where the Bohemian Grove is...not saying anything, but Chino's recent Baphomet tattoo and all this info....

The more I keep digging, the more connections I see between Deftones lyrics/symbols to Illuminati/occult/etcccc...I'll do some more research

..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

samson simpson

you hate the masons dont you man

all they do is give out candy to disabled children and hold bake sales on " Dark Thursday"  
whats there to be suspicious about?

and yes ... deftones are devilworshiping/illuminatiknowledgepossessing/eyeswideshutpartygoing motherfuckers

but they make some pretty catchy tunes

Jerry_Curls

Yeah pretty much.

But my research stops there. I don't see any other connections in their lyrics. I'm not saying they're worshipping the devil or anything, it's just interesting the choices of imagery Chino and their graphic designers use.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Jun 23, 2011, 12:46 AM

The more I keep digging, the more connections I see between Deftones lyrics/symbols to Illuminati/occult/etcccc...I'll do some more research

You can find connections between masonic/illuminati/occult and ANY band or artist that is famous and on a major record label today. Deftones make awesome music, that's what's important to me. I'll admit the occult stuff can be intriguing though.

Nebontha

QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

bebo

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: bodywars9000 on Jan 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
Royal reminds me of fucking aliens

you really think chino's talkin about alien sex here ???

pony_01

Diamond eyes symbol, Baphomet tattoo, an owl, join the stage with 30STM.. well i think they are pretty masonic now..

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Jun 26, 2011, 09:07 PM
Quote from: bodywars9000 on Jan 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
Royal reminds me of fucking aliens

you really think chino's talkin about alien sex here ???

hahahahahaha.

It's actually not that bad if you put it straight in the Alien's butt, though.

cheachea

I'm surprised no one posted this from the Change video.  It shows Sun/Illuminati/Luciferian/Pyramid  Symbology.

Poyt Chops

hedvoycez

im gonna bump this thread.

The new vinyl set brought me to deftones.com

I saw the new merch.

Its  a  basic all seeing eye logo.

Anyone know who does the artwork, and who signs off on it?
? ???

There's a blatant occult theme goin on now.

Sure, a skull with red roses for the self titled.
We all know the white pony art.

Diamond has a white owl. A sigil on the cd and inside back cover. Royal lyrics (fav song on album by the way)

and now, the Pyramid. The all seeing eye is even on the key chain.

Damn. That's up your butt blatant symbolism.

I thought this was because of the big label wanting to increase sales, but I'm curious if the band has any say in what gets put out.

The whole pyramid theme is played out.

looks tacky.

Best deftones logo is the cursive script. Thats all you need really.  8)

Electron§

I think its bullshit to say that Deftones are like satan worshippers or whatever, (why does everyone always try to have occult themes included with music? Especially metal and rap its seems like, two genres which have been antagonized a lot in their respective histories) I just think that its probably that all this occult shit just looks *cool*, theyre trying to include a bit of symbolism in their work to make it a bit deeper and give off that "mysterious" vibe.

But also, I dont see a lot of these occult themes outside of S/T and Diamond Eyes. The rest of the records are lacking in the symbolism department to me at least. 

Electron§

Also, to fully understand this, we should take inventory of all the themes apparent in Deftones "mythos":

1. Animals (Cat on "Like Linus", Horse on "White Pony", Owl on "Diamond Eyes")

2. Sexuality (Girl on the "Around the Fur" cover, naming an album "Eros" the god of love and sexuality, what some have suggested about the true meaning of "Passenger", cover of the "Hexagram" singles cover is called "Bound Love" (?) or something like that, "Korea", etc.)

3. Medical (the thing on the "Adrenaline" cover, "RX Queen")

4. Metaphysical/occult (The owl on "Diamond Eyes", artwork inside the "Saturday Night Wrist" booklet, naming a song "Minerva", the title "Eros", "Hexagram", "Rapture")

5. Self Destruction/death ("Knife Prty", "Fireal", "RX Queen", "Boys Republic", "My Own Summer", A SHIT LOAD OF OTHER SONGS BY THEM)

So from there we can take into account on what Deftones music seems to truly be about.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Doesn't sound bad but the names of songs are not mostly named for a reason (sounds cool to them a lot) and the album covers I don't believe mean anything at all except White Pony (there's a White horse on it). They've said pretty much that over the years, but then again they don't always give an accurate explaination for much, it seems like.
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Cool Mountaineer on Jun 23, 2011, 01:29 AM
you hate the masons dont you man

all they do is give out candy to disabled children and hold bake sales on " Dark Thursday" 
whats there to be suspicious about?

and yes ... deftones are devilworshiping/illuminatiknowledgepossessing/eyeswideshutpartygoing motherfuckers

but they make some pretty catchy tunes
[/quot
Thing is, u don't know what is beneath the surface of the Masons unless u belong. It's the only way u know man. I know this.
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

deftoner664

These conclusions can be a misconception... I remember an interview where chino said he wanted the owl on the diamond eyes cover because it was inspired by Faith no More's album  Angel Dust ( which has a vibrant white bird on the cover). As human beings we are symbol - data extracting creatures that make generalized connections to certain archetypal symbols; in this case we are talking about masonic occult lore and depictions embedded within the deftones work... But you never know chino is one ambiguous mother fucka' when it comes to lyrical content.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present