Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Saturday Night Wrist in Philadelphia

Started by bodywars9000, May 11, 2011, 09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodywars9000

Hey if anyone cares, just thought i'd mention that i just got home an hour or so ago from the Deftones show in Philadelphia at the Electric Factory.

About halfway through the set (which was fantastic imo), Chino started talking to the audience saying "What's up Philly! It's been a while!" He was in very high spirits tonight, seeming genuinely very happy.

Anyways, so then he says "We've been here a bunch of times (the venue), etc". To which he adds "I've spent alot of time in Philly. A while back we were recording Saturday Wrist here." (i was not aware of that, it may have just been Chino doing vocals here, i know they recorded it in multiple studios etc.)

Then he goes "You may have heard we haven't really been playing anything from that record in a long time, but we're going to make an exception and play one song" he said, while putting on his guitar, and said "And it's Cherry Waves".

The crowd went nuts, and the performance was amazing. I thought that was interesting. They also played Knife Party, right into Korea. Awesome. Also Chino's vocals were super on point, and Sergio was doing the long screams on My own summer, w/Chino doing the shove its, and it actually sounded pretty great. Sergio's scream sounded pretty close to what's on the record. Other than that, Dillenger's singer came out and did Passenger.

The night ended with 7 Words, as usual, however, in the last part of the song, after the rapping part following "squeal like a pig when you....", the band continued to play 7 words as Chino belted out "Firework" by Katy Perry. Wow. It was silly but he actually sang the shit out of it, doing screams during the "make you go ah!-ah! ah!" Haha. 

chinomoreno876

Yeah I thought the show was really badass!!!! I thought the same Sergio sounds good actually and it def sounds alot like the record on some songs, I noticed him helping out and it was decent. I fuckin loved passenger that's the first time I heard it live with a good partner singing it, badass!!!!

sing blue silver

Sounds exactly like ever other show on the tour so far. Glad you enjoyed it though.

bodywars9000

I see. I guess you were at every show on the tour so far? Lol

Just sayin, they played powerfully and Chino absolutely killed it on the mike. If that's what all the other shows were like, thats awesome. Good stuff.

Anyway thanks, i definitely had a blast.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

"Cherry Waves" hasn't been played live since like 2006 and was hardly ever played then as it is so no, it doesn't sound exactly like every other show on this tour so far. That song being played is actually pretty monumental to most Deftones fans as it tends to be a favorite among many of us. I would kill to see that live. That and "When Girls Telephone Boys" are two of my favorite rare live songs and their set list has actually been getting pretty stale. I still like all the songs they play but it needs some variation and its awesome that they chose "Cherry Waves" to inject some of that variation into the set. Hopefully they'll start playing it regularly. It deserves that treatment.

NewJawn

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on May 11, 2011, 09:30 PM
"Cherry Waves" hasn't been played live since like 2006 and was hardly ever played then as it is so no, it doesn't sound exactly like every other show on this tour so far. That song being played is actually pretty monumental to most Deftones fans as it tends to be a favorite among many of us. I would kill to see that live. That and "When Girls Telephone Boys" are two of my favorite rare live songs and their set list has actually been getting pretty stale. I still like all the songs they play but it needs some variation and its awesome that they chose "Cherry Waves" to inject some of that variation into the set. Hopefully they'll start playing it regularly. It deserves that treatment.

The Philly show was amazing!!! Got video footage here... http://newjawn.com/2011/05/11/deftones-rocked-philly-last-night/

Including a link to the Cherry Waves performance. So badass.

rufas

I would kill to see that live. That and "When Girls Telephone Boys" are two of my favorite rare live songs and their set list has actually been getting pretty stale. I still like all the songs they play but it needs some variation and its awesome that they chose "Cherry Waves" to inject some of that variation into the set. Hopefully they'll start playing it regularly. It deserves that treatment.

*Thoroughly agrees*

They are playing a few less songs from DE at the moment . . I'd love to see Cherry Waves this summer too. That, and Rats! Rats! Rats! played straight after or before hexagram.

sing blue silver

they've been playing cherry waves at every show since may 3rd so that's 4 or 5 shows straight now. i saw it twice in montreal since they played it at the soundcheck and then during the show. i think it'll be around a while. i would have liked to see kimdracula last longer in the set.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

My bad. I hadn't heard that was going on. I figured this was the first instance since I didn't see anyone mention it yet.

sing blue silver

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on May 12, 2011, 10:19 AM
My bad. I hadn't heard that was going on. I figured this was the first instance since I didn't see anyone mention it yet.

hahaha. no worries. romain seems to be the only one capable of keeping up on it so thoroughly. if only we could all be insomniacs!