Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Bukowski

Started by TheyCallMeP, Jun 11, 2011, 11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheyCallMeP

If anyone reads Bukowski, help me out if you have a minute. I just finished reading Women and loved it and I just started reading Post Office. Post Office shouldn't take me too long to finish but I'm wondering what book to read by him after. If you have any suggestions, hit me up.

Penicks

twilight by stephanie meyer

blixa

read factotum.

do you read raymond carver? if you don't give him a go.

TheyCallMeP

Never heard of Carver, I'll check it out. What does he write?

blixa

he mostly writes short stories. they're incredible. his poems are just as spectacular. i started reading tess gallagher's work because of him. she's his widow.

start reading his short stories. i read 'viewfinder' first because i saw an excerpt and i liked it. it's in his book what we talk about when we talk about love, which is probably where you should start.

TheyCallMeP

Will do, after Factotum. Thanks for the heads up

Penicks

also try harry potter by j.k. rowling

TheyCallMeP

You're on fire with suggestions, Penicks. Harry Potter is like reading the dictionary, both in length and in excitement, and most Twilight suburbanites scare me (pasty 15 year old girls who play dress up going out to the movies). Maybe recommend a book with less words and more pictures?

black coffee

First when he came up with Twilight I though that was just a pointless comment and not funny at all. 

But then he had a nice comeback with Harry Potter! HILARIOUS joke.

black coffee

In all seriousness - Post Office and Factotum are two of my favorite books! I definitely need to get more books by Bukowski.

Since you enjoy his works, I can definitely recommend Richard Yates as well. I finished "Disturbing the Peace" last week, which was a great read. Next book I want to read is "Revolutionary Road" by him, it is supposed to be his best work as well.

Penicks

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Jun 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
You're on fire with suggestions, Penicks. Harry Potter is like reading the dictionary, both in length and in excitement, and most Twilight suburbanites scare me (pasty 15 year old girls who play dress up going out to the movies). Maybe recommend a book with less words and more pictures?

you sound like a real dumbass, try reading  A COMIC then

doofus

blixa

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Jun 12, 2011, 05:18 PM
Will do, after Factotum. Thanks for the heads up

no worries! to add to my last comment, i would suggest going with this book:

it came out in 2009. it's an unedited version of 'what we talk about when we talk about love'. carver's publisher edited most of the stories in that book and gallagher fought to get them republished in their original form, which happened in 'beginners'. i read 'what we talk about when we talk about love' and fell in love with it, but i have a deeper sentimental love for 'beginners' because the stories i love are in their original form. you could go for either. up to you.

TheyCallMeP

Quote from: black coffee on Jun 13, 2011, 02:31 PM
In all seriousness - Post Office and Factotum are two of my favorite books! I definitely need to get more books by Bukowski.

Since you enjoy his works, I can definitely recommend Richard Yates as well. I finished "Disturbing the Peace" last week, which was a great read. Next book I want to read is "Revolutionary Road" by him, it is supposed to be his best work as well.

Never heard of Richard Yates either, I'll look him up. Thanks

TheyCallMeP

Quote from: Penicks on Jun 13, 2011, 03:10 PM
Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Jun 13, 2011, 01:25 PM

you sound like a real dumbass, try reading  A COMIC then

doofus

...Mom says I'm not allowed to have them

tarkil

I'll tell her it's OK when I see her tonight, k ?

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Penicks

Vesanic

Quote from: tarkil on Jun 14, 2011, 03:33 AM
I'll tell her it's OK when I see her tonight, k ?

Need a " Your mother " joke ? Leave it to Tarkil...

tarkil

Sometimes, I just can't resist!   :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Variable

They truly never get old.

blixa

he is french so most likely he can tap any of our mum's.

i'm just being honest.