Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

PALMS [new Chino Moreno side project]

Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperian Death-Horse!

I can't believe so many people on this board of all places are having issues with Chino's voice. I think he sounds amazing and youthful at that. I will say that I suspect that what may be throwing some people off might not be Chino's vocals themselves but perhaps the way they were mixed and effected with the slap back style delay. That type of delay is used plenty on vocals in general by various artists but it seems like there's a parameter to the delay that is set a bit too intense and seems to almost be pushing the vocals "off the track" if that makes sense. I noticed that a little bit but the whole entirety of the song was to captivating to let that ruin it for me. Its really not that bad but it is noticeable and a bit disconcerting. However, this also just a webpage stream. Keep that in mind before judging the sound to harshly. I'm certain it will sound better and more cohesive on full quality CD/vinyl. Or maybe it will be just as bad. We'll have to wait and see.

Rally Sweat

Yeah, a large part of it is the way they've been recorded/mixed. It just sounds like tinned shit to me on the verses. Tinned shit that's been left in the next room. But like you say, maybe that'll change. I'm also a little bored of him talking about demons. Can't fault the music though.

ignore the fashion

Got my tickets for the Belly Up show today

Hank

Have to say... This project is going to be a treat.

If you all cant hear it ...I hope you will at some point  ;D

bewareofrats

There's some samples on Amazon.  Sounds good to me.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

DeftonesNZ

Sounds sweet to me to, especially Antartic Handshake that sounds like it's going to be super dreamy, I expect a lot of hate from other people though because it's more of the same as the stuff we've heard.

scarywindow

Jesus.  Mission Sunset, Shortwave Radio, and Antarctic Handshake have me frothing at the mouth.  This is going to end up being my favorite band Chino has been a part of.  I know it may be sacrilege to most of you, but this album is just what I need.  I've missed ISIS, and I've missed good Deftones.  This is different than both, and I'm more than happy about that.  This is the music that moves me now.  Can't wait to hear it all.

Danny Keyes

Crazylegs

What the fuck is up with the production. Sounds like they've recorded the album in an echo chamber. None of these previews really grab me at all.

scarywindow

Quote from: Danny Keyes on May 07, 2013, 05:03 PM
this project is horrible.

says the person who hasn't even heard the whole record.  go listen to Adrenaline.

scarywindow

Quote from: Crazylegs on May 07, 2013, 05:28 PM
What the fuck is up with the production. Sounds like they've recorded the album in an echo chamber. None of these previews really grab me at all.

at mos phere

Danny Keyes

Quote from: scarywindow on May 07, 2013, 06:29 PM
Quote from: Danny Keyes on May 07, 2013, 05:03 PM
this project is horrible.

says the person who hasn't even heard the whole record.  go listen to Adrenaline.

...2 songs down and they both suck. really hard for the record to win me over. but whatever its my opinion don't act so butthurt about it. ;)

Crazylegs

Quote from: scarywindow on May 07, 2013, 06:29 PM
Quote from: Crazylegs on May 07, 2013, 05:28 PM

at mos phere

More like shit-mosphere. It's not exactly a creative way to produce atmosphere, especially when they do exactly the same for each and every track which is really the problem here in my opinion. Pretty lazy.

Inkblades

I think I saw something about how Chino was recording his vocals in hotels while on tour with Deftones. That might explain it.

Crazylegs

Inkblades

The snippets sound great to me from a musical standpoint. Chino's voice seems so distant, though. Echo chamber is an apt description. His vocals on Antarctic Handshake sound nice.

shoop

Needs 1 bonus track for itunes or whatever ;) 

Jerry_Curls

I love the drum beat on "Future Warrior"...reminds me of Cocteau Twins (someone mentioned that earlier for "Patagonia") So dreamy like the album Treausre.

At first I didn't like the reverb, but now I'm digging it. Dfferent from all his other projects.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.