Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

PALMS [new Chino Moreno side project]

Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvthedrv

i dont know what to think, fuck this.

bewareofrats

I think the distant vocals is something I could get used to.  I love the sounds of Mission Sunset, Shortwave Radio and Antarctic Handshake so far.  Future Warrior reminds me of the theme song to the stupid Canadian show North of 60.  The theme song isn't bad though so it's not a bad thing to me.

Also, I am really liking the drums/percussion on this.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

play

i fucking hate the vocal sound. Wheres the fucking mid-low range in it? it sounds so thin.

DeftonesNZ

I'm not gonna judge the vocals of some low quality samples, I made that mistake with Patagonia already

Slacker

fuck the samples i wont tease myself. i can live with patagonia for the entire month...

bewareofrats

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: play on May 08, 2013, 12:38 AM
i fucking hate the vocal sound. Wheres the fucking mid-low range in it? it sounds so thin.

I think that's what I like about it. It's a production style Chino hasn't done on any of his tracks.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

luisch

The mix of Amazon is unmastered btw. I uploaded the preview to Soundcloud and was contacted by Ipecac Recordings, they wrote to me asking  get down  the track because is a "unfinished version"
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

N0S3BLEED976

Not too fond of the samples on amazon, but Patagonia has grown on me a bit, though. Still kind of disappointed with the project...

pony_01

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on May 08, 2013, 03:51 PM
Not too fond of the samples on amazon, but Patagonia has grown on me a bit, though. Still kind of disappointed with the project...

You haven't explained why tho...what were you expecting? What makes it disappointing? Lets talk about it
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on May 08, 2013, 09:20 PM
You haven't explained why tho...what were you expecting? What makes it disappointing? Lets talk about it

Chino's new style of singing in this project is just barely enjoyable to me, since it sounds so high pitched and forced. The music itself is pretty good so far, though I cetainly hoped for more instrumental parts. For example in Patagonia at 3:55 minuts, the part where the guitar kicks in would have been so much better If they just let it be like that for a while. Instead, Chino almost instantly croon over it again... It's like they had the right ideas to produce a beautiful song but just didn't know how to properly execute it.

Future Warrior however seems to be entirely instrumental, which is a good thing for me personally.

Edit: I haven't mentioned everything I didn't like about the songs, It's hard for me to put it in words actually. I also don't want to write an entire novel about the subject.

N0S3BLEED976

I apologize for any possible grammatical errors. Had a few too many drinks tonight...

bewareofrats

I think it would be nice if there was a fair amount of instrumental portion on this.  Patagonia has too much Chino or high parts for me, but the rest might not be as much.  The music on the samples sounds very nice and interesting to me.  It would be nice to also have a pure instrumental version of this, maybe someone will rig that up.  I think Chino's style or the production on this will grow on me.

DeftonesNZ

I think it's way too soon for people to say the whole project is a failure when they haven't even heard it yet.

ANattyRat

This might be the only side-project with Chino that I'm not a huge fan of. Patagonia is nice, but doesn't blow me away. Maybe it's just a bit too slow and dreamy for me. I'm not sure, I'll have to hear more. Can anyone link me to the samples, or have they been taken down? I can't see them on Amazon.

Electron§

I don't know why everyone is bashing this. "Patagonia" is just smooth as fuck. I don't see where the problem is. Better than any of Chino's other recent stuff....

ANattyRat

Quote from: Electron§ on May 11, 2013, 10:57 AM
I don't know why everyone is bashing this. "Patagonia" is just smooth as fuck. I don't see where the problem is. Better than any of Chino's other recent stuff....

It's a matter of opinion. Patagonia is nice, and growing on me, but nothing beats Deftones (to me). Have to see how the rest of it sounds. I kind of don't understand how you think it's better than his other recent stuff though (if you're including Koi No Yokan). I assumed most people who don't like Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan feel that way because it lacks a lot of Chino's screaming or very sad-sounding vocals, but this lacks the same things. I suppose it's just different things for different people.