Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

PALMS [new Chino Moreno side project]

Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Quote from: nicklav on Jun 03, 2013, 05:50 PM
The ending to Future Warrior is perfect. I just got emotional hearing it for the first time.

That's the effect great music has. You're not alone.

Quote from: deftoolsys07 on Jun 04, 2013, 05:32 AM
But I mean if Chino had a cold or something, they couldn't wait one more week or so to get a better take? You only have one shot to get that track down, you can't go back and edit it once it's released. You know what I mean? There's something obviously different with his voice on this, particularly that his nose sounds stuffed up... It's kind of annoying... Still sounds good, nonetheless...

I'm sure everyone involved gets to listen to the final mix before it is released to anyone. It's just how they want it to sound.

scarywindow

Quote from: luisch on Jun 04, 2013, 07:27 AM

future warrior

i slipped in
to your side
i didn't feel anything deep inside
i looked out
through clean eyes
i didn't see anything that i like
the closer
i am
i notice something's wrong with you
the closer
i am
i notice something's wrong
i know there's something wrong (x3)
you...
have destroyed it
you...
have destroyed it
i climbed in
to your mind
i didn't find anything that worthwhile
i've switched back
to realise
notice something is still not quite right
the closer
i am
i notice something's wrong with you
the closer
i am
i notice something's wrong...
i know there's something wrong
with you, dear
and...
i know there's something wrong
with you
you have destroyed it
let go tonight
???
(away)
lets us through  (x6)
so we
can both
remember
remember (x2)
so we
can both
...remember

fixed that for you.  i can't make out one line... but the rest is correct, i'm pretty sure.

also, i love the way Chino's vocals sound on all of these songs.  this music is meant to be atmospheric... thus the heavy use of reverb and delay on the vocals.  this is not Deftones, so don't expect it to sound like Deftones.

Hank

scarywindow

Quote from: Hank on Jun 04, 2013, 08:56 AM
you forgot a  's

i was fixing patches of what was originally posted as i listened.  it should be fixed now :P

Hank

Quote from: scarywindow on Jun 04, 2013, 09:04 AM
Quote from: Hank on Jun 04, 2013, 08:56 AM
you forgot a  's

i was fixing patches of what was originally posted as i listened.  it should be fixed now :P
damn.
My sarcasm doesn't even work on the internet's .
I fail at everything  :-[

thank you man  8)

deftoolsys07

Ah I love when foreigners try to decipher lyrics in English haha
edit: that was before I saw this revised version, looks about right..
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

DeftonesNZ

yea I guessed it was a foreigner, still very good though just some of the pronunciations you could hear in the the song weren't interpreted properly and there were some words that didn't fit the context. The thing I hate is when people with thick accents try to sing Deftones lol no matter how good a person can sing if you can't pronounce the words you're never going to sound good.

Hank

The guitars are  layered so perfect on Future and Patagonia I can't wait to hear the rest of this album. Tropics is a great laid back track but the wall of sound that exudes the other 2 that have been released is epic.

From the samples I know that Shortwave radio is gonna be my favorite though.

deftoolsys07

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 04, 2013, 10:16 AM
yea I guessed it was a foreigner, still very good though just some of the pronunciations you could hear in the the song weren't interpreted properly and there were some words that didn't fit the context. The thing I hate is when people with thick accents try to sing Deftones lol no matter how good a person can sing if you can't pronounce the words you're never going to sound good.

Right, it's always some weird words that totally don't fit the context let alone anything Chino would ever utter out of his mouth from common sense alone. But I am not ripping on any foreigners, because I know damn well I couldn't try to decipher lyrics in any other language haha. And yes hearing foreign cover bands are hilarious... The way the pronounce everything and the accent... Very comical indeed...

scarywindow

Just read on the PRP that Chuck Doom from Crosses is playing keyboards for the live incarnation of Palms.  That is too awesome, as Doom is one of the finest musicians around these days.  He'll be a good fit with Palms, I know it. 

It's a shame I can't make the shows, but damn it, I'll see every East Coast show I can when they come this way. 

With that said, not long until this record drops, ladies and gentlemen ;)

honeybeewu

Quote from: scarywindow on Jun 04, 2013, 07:07 PM
Just read on the PRP that Chuck Doom from Crosses is playing keyboards for the live incarnation of Palms.  That is too awesome, as Doom is one of the finest musicians around these days.  He'll be a good fit with Palms, I know it. 

It's a shame I can't make the shows, but damn it, I'll see every East Coast show I can when they come this way. 

With that said, not long until this record drops, ladies and gentlemen ;)

"EAST COAST SHOWS" From YOUR mouth to GOD'S ears my friend.... 

I PRAY DAILY!!! ;D

Diplo

I pretty liking what I have heard, the Chino voice's, even if he is sick or anything else is very good to me. I hear emotion I lost on DE on some part.
Don't know if it's me or not but the voice in Future Warrior (after 5min) remind me the SNW era, especially the SNW demo.

The instrument are perfect.

Inkblades

Quote from: Diplo on Jun 04, 2013, 08:58 PM
especially the SNW demo.

That's not a good thing, IMO. I think he sounds better on this, though.

Hank

I pre-ordered it.

Someone get a early copy and share .

all3n_y

Another review. Positive, but definitely more critical than the others.

http://caughtinthecarousel.com/palms-pummeling-grooves/

The Law

Palms is amazing, the force impresses but also the restraint,there are missed beats and open space, muscular music that seduces and pummels, even manages to soothe while it assaults. It's complex, harder, and catchier.
I pre-ordered it.

The Law

Quote from: deftoolsys07 on Jun 04, 2013, 02:40 PM

Right, it's always some weird words that totally don't fit the context let alone anything Chino would ever utter out of his mouth from common sense alone. But I am not ripping on any foreigners, because I know damn well I couldn't try to decipher lyrics in any other language haha. And yes hearing foreign cover bands are hilarious... The way the pronounce everything and the accent... Very comical indeed...

This conversation is a bit disrespectful,You Guys have an inferiority complex and it's fully justified.

deftoolsys07

Quote from: The Law on Jun 05, 2013, 12:30 PM
Quote from: deftoolsys07 on Jun 04, 2013, 02:40 PM

This conversation is a bit disrespectful,You Guys have an inferiority complex and it's fully justified.

Haha dude relax, I even said I'm not being disrespectful and that I commend people that speak different languages that try to interpret lyrics because that's a lot more than I could do. But that it also sounds funny to someone who is a native English speaker to read it back, because some of the most subtle mistakes can change the whole meaning of the song lol.

And yes somebody singing a song with a foreign accent is funny. That's not being disrespectful, it's just a fact haha

DeftonesNZ

How? what I said is true, It is just a fact most people with heavy accents can't sing well in English and just end up sounding comical, I also said he did a good job of translating the lyrics. Don't take everything so sensitively man that's just friendly conversation and wasn't aimed at anyone.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: all3n_y on Jun 05, 2013, 07:59 AM
Another review. Positive, but definitely more critical than the others.

http://caughtinthecarousel.com/palms-pummeling-grooves/
As soon as he said he didn't like Future Warrior the rest of the review lost its weight with me, I love that song and he doesn't,I couldn't trust his review of the rest after that, Also it seemed like he feel into the trap of reviewing it as Isis with Chino instead of treating it as a separate identity.