Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

PALMS [new Chino Moreno side project]

Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftoolsys07

Know somebody with connections. It hasn't leaked as far as I know. And I'm not going to share it either. If it gets leaked I'm sure all fingers will be pointed at me haha

Maybe if I have some time I'll review it or something. Or if you're in DFW, perhaps you can hear it coming from my car over the next couple days haha
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

N0S3BLEED976

That's cool man! Though it's going to be hard for me to show up in DFW, since I live overseas in Europe ;)

deftoolsys07

If you want to hear it bad enough, feel free haha

Inkblades

What would you rate the album on a scale from 1 to 5?

Slacker

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

only pieces remain

why the fuck is everyone rating it? he was talking to deftoolsys

Inkblades

Yeah. I meant to the fella who has heard it.

only pieces remain

obviously, or so one would think anyway

deftoolsys07

Quote from: Inkblades on Jun 06, 2013, 10:50 PM
What would you rate the album on a scale from 1 to 5?

That's a tough one. It's at least a 3, but not a 5.

Maybe 3.5 (7/10)? But that's just my personal opinion. I would have to do a proper review. It's not a bad album, but it's not mind-blowing.

I do like the fact that the previews didn't ruin the songs since they were so long. And even though it's about 45 minutes long, it still didn't feel complete. I think one more song would have done it, actually. Honestly, I do find myself skipping over Tropics every time I listen to it, though...

I'll post an actual review sometime.

chuckles

Quote from: luisch on Jun 05, 2013, 08:02 PM
Banano, Pera, Aguacate, radio de onda corta es sensacional. Días de días no más.

no me jodas... y hazmelo llegar!
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

deftones86

Well im a little late but Future Warrior was exactly what i was hoping for. Not a big fan of tropics its ok but i love that buzzsaw guitar sound in future warrior fuckin fuzzzzz.

deftoolsys07

Ok regarding the tracks that haven't been released anyway:

Mission Sunset: Probably my favorite overall, there are so many different riffs that the song goes through, hardly anything repeats. And just about every one of the 20 or so different parts are great... This is probably the heaviest song, or has the heaviest moments anyway, as it has ups and downs, which also features some screaming from Chino (more Leathers sounding than WGTB, if that makes sense). And the word "heavy" here is relative. It's heavy for Palms, anyway. There aren't any Meshuggah riffs here. I really love the outro on this one. The song pauses and then comes back in with a really epic sounding outro for about 30 seconds, with Chino singing "Rest your eyes." (the outro is the first clip in the newest album preview video)

Shortwave Radio:  The first half is a good mid-tempo track (see the previews), then just over halfway through it goes into a pretty groovy drum and bass breakdown with some synths and then Chino comes in and repeats "Ascending into heaven, while staring into hell. You're staring into heaven, descending into hell." Pretty catchy, actually. And it's a good riff. This second half of the song is where it's at for me. Now that I'm listening to it again I realize that Chino also screams this part at one point making this possibly the heaviest part of the album. The music on this is really good.

Antarctic Handshake: Great closer. Just like Shortwave Radio, this is practically one song that when you split it in two, you have two completely different songs. The first half is very atmospheric, with Chino singing, this is also the part we've heard in the previews. Not much happening there, it's very repetitive, but not in a bad way haha. In fact I could listen to 10 minutes of just this first half. The second half of the song is a more upbeat instrumental, with drums and a very prominent synth. The drums stop after a while and you're left with just a very slow synth and guitar that slowly fades out.

Oh and Thomas, I got your text, I don't want to be the one that leaks this thing lol If you wanna smoke me out we can jam it in the car lol

Inkblades

FlyingPiranha

Yeah, dug the review. Makes me even more excited to get my hands on it (and I swear to god, if the vinyl sells out before Friday...).
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

ignore the fashion

Quote from: FlyingPiranha on Jun 08, 2013, 02:32 AM
Yeah, dug the review. Makes me even more excited to get my hands on it (and I swear to god, if the vinyl sells out before Friday...).

They did tweet today that it is almost sold out.

scarywindow

Quote from: deftoolsys07 on Jun 07, 2013, 09:50 PM
Ok regarding the tracks that haven't been released anyway:

Mission Sunset: Probably my favorite overall, there are so many different riffs that the song goes through, hardly anything repeats. And just about every one of the 20 or so different parts are great... This is probably the heaviest song, or has the heaviest moments anyway, as it has ups and downs, which also features some screaming from Chino (more Leathers sounding than WGTB, if that makes sense). And the word "heavy" here is relative. It's heavy for Palms, anyway. There aren't any Meshuggah riffs here. I really love the outro on this one. The song pauses and then comes back in with a really epic sounding outro for about 30 seconds, with Chino singing "Rest your eyes." (the outro is the first clip in the newest album preview video)

Shortwave Radio:  The first half is a good mid-tempo track (see the previews), then just over halfway through it goes into a pretty groovy drum and bass breakdown with some synths and then Chino comes in and repeats "Ascending into heaven, while staring into hell. You're staring into heaven, descending into hell." Pretty catchy, actually. And it's a good riff. This second half of the song is where it's at for me. Now that I'm listening to it again I realize that Chino also screams this part at one point making this possibly the heaviest part of the album. The music on this is really good.

Antarctic Handshake: Great closer. Just like Shortwave Radio, this is practically one song that when you split it in two, you have two completely different songs. The first half is very atmospheric, with Chino singing, this is also the part we've heard in the previews. Not much happening there, it's very repetitive, but not in a bad way haha. In fact I could listen to 10 minutes of just this first half. The second half of the song is a more upbeat instrumental, with drums and a very prominent synth. The drums stop after a while and you're left with just a very slow synth and guitar that slowly fades out.

Oh and Thomas, I got your text, I don't want to be the one that leaks this thing lol If you wanna smoke me out we can jam it in the car lol

Thank you so much for the review.  Good to hear someone we're familiar with here on Sharinglungs give a review of sorts.  This is easily my most anticipated album of the past 10 years.  I've loved every track immensely, and something tells me this record will be as amazing as I hoped it would be.  I can't wait to walk out to Clearwater Beach at night and have about 20 listens while burning some Sour D and drinking some merlot.  To be completely honest, even from the three tracks I've heard, this already trumps everything ISIS did after Panopticon and (get ready....) everything Deftones have done since White Pony.  This is the music that moves me in just the right ways.  I keep thinking of The Cure's 'Disintegration'... the comparison may seem off to most of you, but to me, I can see this record flowing just as perfectly, being just as beautifully atmospheric, and overall close to a perfect record as that one is.  I'm going crazy.  Ordered my pre-order bundle happily - but I really am having a rough time with patience here ;)  I need this record.  Melodramatic?  Perhaps... but I feel it is warranted.  It already has its hooks in. 

Thanks again for the review.  It helps to at least read about it.

deftoolsys07

I'm glad you enjoyed it haha. Just trying to build anticipation. It's definitely a good record. I just think it could have been more. With ONE more track I think it could have been perfect. But if you're going to go on the beach and smoke some weed like you say, and at night, I think you'll be very satisfied lol