Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicklav

Quote from: Romain on Dec 04, 2013, 06:24 PM
Quote from: nicklav on Dec 02, 2013, 05:18 PM
It really comes down to Chino's voice for me on this album. I just can't get into it like I can with the others.

I'll have to listen to the instrumentals that just leaked, but yeah, Chino's voice is the main flaw, in my opinion. Or to sound less negative and not bring more shit up, it's at least the main reason I can't get into it.

I recently went back to Diamond Eyes, and at least on there you get a faint sense of what he's really capable of. Same with certain parts of the Palms album and Crosses. I just wish he would harness that for another full 'tones album.

beansandcornbread

Anybody got a link to the instrumentals?  The only site I found won't download correctly.     http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/63003407/file.html

shoop

It downloads correctly.. You're just not downloading it correctly lol. Click the orange download button, not one of the ads that say download.

beansandcornbread

Quote from: shoop on Dec 06, 2013, 07:18 AM
It downloads correctly.. You're just not downloading it correctly lol. Click the orange download button, not one of the ads that say download.

I know that but yesterday it wouldn't finish.  It's working now.  Thanks for the help though.

shoop

Quote from: beansandcornbread on Dec 06, 2013, 08:40 PM
Quote from: shoop on Dec 06, 2013, 07:18 AM

I know that but yesterday it wouldn't finish.  It's working now.  Thanks for the help though.
Ah gotcha. Np haha. Glad it worked for ya finally

Inkblades

Quote from: nicklav on Dec 05, 2013, 06:03 PM
It really comes down to Chino's voice for me on this album. I just can't get into it like I can with the others.

I'll have to listen to the instrumentals that just leaked, but yeah, Chino's voice is the main flaw, in my opinion. Or to sound less negative and not bring more shit up, it's at least the main reason I can't get into it.

I recently went back to Diamond Eyes, and at least on there you get a faint sense of what he's really capable of. Same with certain parts of the Palms album and Crosses. I just wish he would harness that for another full 'tones album.

You think his vocals on Palms are better than his KNY vocals? No way. No how.

therealdaebat

Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 06, 2013, 11:50 PM

I'm with inkblades.
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

rainnyx4

Yeah, his vocals on Palms are a big turnoff.  What a letdown that was.

Hank

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Dec 07, 2013, 03:00 AM
Yeah, his vocals on Palms are a big turnoff.  What a letdown that was.

His vocals are spot on atleast 3 out of those 6 songs on the Palms record and are probably some of the best we have heard from him since 2000...the second half of Sunset is some of his best vocal work ever recorded.

Shadow46/2

Yeah Mission Sunset is probably the best song on that album. Such a grand epic of a song that goes through such a range of emotions. I haven't gotten much into the rest of the album (Future Warrior being an exception), but Mission Sunset is a gem for sure, and really shows off Chino's range.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

SwerveCityUSA

Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are easily his vocal supreme.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

nicklav

Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 06, 2013, 11:50 PM
Quote from: nicklav on Dec 05, 2013, 06:03 PM

I said certain parts were, and yes I do think that.

UrZ*

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Dec 08, 2013, 04:48 AM

White Pony says hi
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: UrZ* on Dec 09, 2013, 12:34 AM

White Pony says hi
+1 not saying his recent albums have been bad but White Pony was just a perfect showcase of his range,his screams on songs like elite were great and his cleaner vocals were also awesome especially the soaring high notes, I think even he would agree his voice was stronger when they recorded that album than it is now, I think he's probably just showing the wear you would expect from a singer after years of hard touring it's not that his voice was better back then it's more like it was stronger and allowed him to do want he wanted in the studio,I think now when he writes songs he's very conscious of how realistic performing it live and doing it justice will be and it makes him hold out abit whereas in the WP studio days he felt if he could sing it in the studio he could do it live, there wasn't the same limitations his insecurities about his vocal performance put on him now so he really took his voice to the extreme.

ANattyRat

Throwing in my opinion. I love Koi No Yokan. I enjoy Diamond Eyes also, but I can't have it on repeat like I can for the rest of the albums. Around the Fur is my least favourite album. I'm not denying their musical skill on that album, it's just that a lot of the songs I, personally, don't enjoy. Anyway, with Koi No Yokan, for me it's full of texture and atmosphere and I truly love how they went about this album, it feels like a lighter White Pony, in the sense that White Pony had a lot of darkness (either musically or lyrically). It's a great reflection of the mindset they're currently in, all wanting and trying to push their personal boundaries, and having fun doing it.

I don't know anything about instruments, so even if Stef's guitar-playing is technically horrendous, I'd still say it's brilliant as long as it sounds good. So I won't comment on that aside from the fact that I love the guitars in Poltergeist, Graphic Nature and Goon Squad in particular. To a lesser extent, Entombed also, because I loved Stef doing something new on a record, but it was immensely repetitive, though beautiful.

But the more I listened to the album, the more I felt there were two main things I didn't enjoy like the previous albums. First is Chino's voice. That isn't to say his singing isn't good, I still love his voice. The issue I have is, as others have said, it's sounding a bit too clean, too neat, polished. What grabbed me about Deftones first was his voice, how I couldn't even think of a word to describe the quality of his voice but it was unlike anything I'd heard before. Korea stands out most to me, as well as MX, as songs that best highlight that quality of his voice that I can't think of a word for. I feel like, for the most part, he's missing that now. I don't know why, maybe it's part of him trying his best to be as clean and by-the-book musician as possible? I'm not sure, but I miss that quality. Saying that, I've found that his voice sounds much better in that sense in Crosses songs.

The second issue I have is with the lyrics. There are some parts that stand out, but generally, they feel much more straight-forward, and their lyrics had often been a source of inspiration for the depth and beauty that they held. Very cryptic and intense. So I miss that, and I doubt we'll ever see them return, because I remember Chino said that this is the first time Stef has ever commented on the lyrics, and so, I think they must all be on the same page that this is the direction they want to go in.

I'll never stop being a Deftones fan, but I think if they continue in this direction, I will continue loving and enjoying their albums, but not with the same amount of passion that I have towards their past albums.

Also, can we stop with the arrogance? Any opinion we have is 100% cool, but no one person is right. "How can you not see that??" is a stupid question, because we each look for and desire different things of our favourite bands.

DeftonesNZ

that's exactly how I feel as well, I'm super excited to see the what happens in the next album the little intros and outros on KNY were a great addition and helped keep that cohisiveness between rather contrasting songs and the guitar playing was alot better Stef was using alot more of his 8 string and Chino was playing really different stuff to Stef rather than the same thing with different effects, like you said I think there's something I miss about the old stuff but musically I think these guys are still awesome they're still doing awesome stuff it's just good for different reasons.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: UrZ* on Dec 09, 2013, 12:34 AM

White Pony says hi

ya that is a majestic vocal performance.

but I still think the way his voice has matured is what I always wanted it to be. super sultry.

nicklav

There is hardly anything sultry on KNY.

Sultry is Pink Maggit, Mascara, MX, Crenshaw Punch, etc.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: nicklav on Dec 09, 2013, 07:27 AM
There is hardly anything sultry on KNY.

Sultry is Pink Maggit, Mascara, MX, Crenshaw Punch, etc.
I didn't find KNY to be sultry, to me his sultry stuff is in songs like Passenger, man that's a sweet song Maynard and Chino on the same track is awesome and their voices go together so well

SwerveCityUSA

you guys just aren't listening or hearing. it's ok there Is always a prayer for the deaf to hear.