Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Chauffeur / Simple Man info/help needed!

Started by slyartwork, Oct 01, 2012, 08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slyartwork

People I need your help or thoughts on this.

Chino is talking about 'Simple Man' in this interview [see below] and says it was recorded before they recorded Adrenaline. The booklet of B-sides & rarities says it was recorded 'Sometime in 1997-1998 at Pus Tavern, N. Sacramento, CA. I assume this info is wrong.

When I look further in the booklet I see it says that 'The Chauffeur' was recorded sometime in 1994-1995 at Pus Tavern, N. Sacramento, CA. I also own the Duran Duran tribute CD from 1997 on which the credits are totally different... See my photo:

Also, the booklet of B-sides says Terry Date remixed The Chauffeur in 2005 for the B-sides compilation but I think its the same version as the Duran Duran tribute CD from 1997. I think they recorded The Chauffeur during the ATF sessions as a b-side song whuch ended up on the tribute album. Not sure though where all the info in the B-sides booklet came from....

Questions to you:
1. Is the info on Simple Man and The Chauffeur in the booklet of B-sides switched?
2. What is the accurate info on The Chauffeur?
3. Any more info or thoughts are welcome.

Interview about Simple Man:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/ug_special_exclusive_interview_with_deftones.html

You did Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man" on "Covers". Were you a fan of southern rock?
You know what's crazy is that that was one that Abe brought to the table and at that point I'd never even heard that song. So the same day I sang it was the first time I ever heard it. I mean I've heard like "Freebird" and "Sweet Home Alabama" and the hit songs. Maybe that song was a hit but I'd never heard it at that point. Actually that song was recorded before we even recorded "Adrenaline".

So "Simple Man" was one of the earliest documents of the Deftones being recorded?
We were recording demos for "Adrenaline" and we had an idea to do a couple cover songs and that was one brought in by Abe. Abe or Stephen said we should do "Simple Man". And I was like, "I never heard it". So they played it for me and I listened to it about five times and then they recorded it and I went in and sang it. So that's one of the oldest recordings.

Did you actually dig on the sound of Skynyrd and the multiple guitars and stuff?
Not only that but the song itself and the lyrics and everything. It's a pretty touching song. It's funny because at that time it's before "Adrenaline" came out so that was like '94 or something like that and I didn't even have kids then. Now when I hear that song I totally connect with it because I'm a father - I have an 18-year old kid is my oldest kid and a 15-year old and a 7-year old - and the nature of the song and the lyrics is kind of a mother talking to her son or whatever. Now I'm able to even connect with it whereas when I recorded it I didn't even have any kids.

DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

sing blue silver

I'd guess that the info was switched. I never thought The Chauffeur was done that early and this isn't the first time Chino has mentioned Simple Man being recorded around 94-95. A head scratcher for sure but the question is do we trust Chino's word or Abe's?

slyartwork

True... but I still don't know wheter The Chauffeur was recorded with Terry Date during the ATF sessions or by Deftones themselves (or Joe Fraulob or Joe Johnston) at the Pus Tavern. I think Deftones' memory is not that good.. not sure though.

Thanks for your reply...

M1GHTY M4VS

recorded doesn't necessarily mean that it made it to the record. ATF Timeframe seems about legit, anything earlier seems to raspy from them, atleast on what landed on any of those mentioned records.

nineteen

I'm not sure. Purely on sounds though, the production of Simple Man sounds closer to Adrenaline and The Chauffer sounds similar to ATF (especially the clean/chorus intro riff).

I think the dates might be incorrect in the B Sides booklet to be honest as the band comments seem to contradict the dates of recording underneath the track names (excluding Abe's date quote of 97-98) and also reinforce your theory that the information could be switched.

Abe's comments seem to suggest 94-95 for Simple Man and Chino's suggest 97-98 for The Chauffer. Weird.

Probably not much help but it's a bit weird.

pinkmaggit69

-Well Simple Man sounds much newer (production-wise) than anything else from that time frame.  None of the vocals or music on Adrenaline sound anywhere near as clean as on Simple Man.
-I bought the Duran Duran tribute album the day it came out, and I gotta tell ya, "The Chauffeur" is the 2nd best song on there.  The Reel Big Fish Cover of "Hungry like the Wolf" is simply awesome!

Drinks won't stain this birth!

slyartwork

Quote from: nineteen on Oct 01, 2012, 09:53 PM
the production of Simple Man sounds closer to Adrenaline and The Chauffer sounds similar to ATF (especially the clean/chorus intro riff).

Production of The Chauffeur sounds so much like ATF. Simple Man is such a different song, indeed more from the Adrenaline era.

Good to hear thoughts and stupid they got it wrong in the booklet!

therealdaebat

Quote from: M1GHTY M4VS on Oct 01, 2012, 09:51 PM
recorded doesn't necessarily mean that it made it to the record.

I don't think this even needed to be said but ok.
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

ltdef

The Chauffeur is ATF era. The info in the booklet is wrong because Nightboat was originally planned to be on the CD. But somebody made a mistake and put The Chauffeur on it and added the recording info of Nightboat in the booklet. As far as I now, they did that song back in the Adrenaline days, along with Milk and Sweetest Perfection.

No clue on Simple Man though. But I would rather believe an interview where they are talking about the time when they did it than a booklet info text.

DeftonesNZ

Haha don't know if id trust their memory though saw a recent interview and Chino thought DE was put out in 2009.

bangbang240

On a side note... that interview was really awesome. Thanks for pointing me to it!

slyartwork

Quote from: ltdef on Oct 03, 2012, 02:33 PM
The Chauffeur is ATF era. The info in the booklet is wrong because Nightboat was originally planned to be on the CD. But somebody made a mistake and put The Chauffeur on it and added the recording info of Nightboat in the booklet. As far as I now, they did that song back in the Adrenaline days, along with Milk and Sweetest Perfection.

No clue on Simple Man though. But I would rather believe an interview where they are talking about the time when they did it than a booklet info text.

You even could be right but The Chauffeur sounds so Terry Date ATF era produced. The Nightboat sounds more Adrenaline era but I always thought they recorded these 2 at one same session. But now I think of it it's more likely Nightboat came from that covers session where they recorded I got Milk and Sweetest Perfection.

I got this scan too from a May 1997 Metal Hammer interview:

dictatesofreason