Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Albums.... As it relates to a period of your life

Started by xLhabiax, Oct 17, 2012, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scatterbrain

So i had reflected a lil bit about my experiences with the earlier records the other day, but after reading some of the other responses and listening to snw earlier today for the first time in a longtime it reminded me of my dark time during that time.Ill try to keep it short here.I was in the midst of some trouble with the law at that point.Two days before release date,I found out due to some,misunderstandings,I more than likely had a warrant out for my arrest.SNW came out that Tuesday,Halloween I picked it up and as soon as I got home,my lawyer called me up telling me I need to turn myself in,in the morning.So I headed over to my weed mans crib.Usually there was a lot of people there,but it was Halloween,so there was only bout 5 people there,all spread out in this 7 bedroom house..Me and him were in the backroom taking rips,listening to SNW waiting for the re-up.Just chilling smoking shake and breaking down the new album.He was going through a new connect for the first time.Dude delivered,it looked real good,I guess it was too good,lol.he got a pound for real cheap,and was really excited like he just made a great business move.He was just bout to bag mine up and burn one,but first he had some business in the living room.
So he's serving, bullshiting,excited about the new batch then all of a sudden,the door flies open and there's four fucking guys in skl-masks with fucking guns."give up the p homie",aw fuck man.A roommate upstairs heard the noise and came down the stairs locked and loaded,only to get smacked in the face with the butt of a gun by 3 more guys who entered in the back of the house.There's another guy,who was shitting at the time,ran out the bathroom and tried to tackle one of the guys,only to get a 3 inch gash in the back of his head.They fired a shot through the ceiling and demanded all the dope in the house,and ran every ones pockets.Garbed the drugs(he threw,A lil under the couch)some random shit lying around,and took off.I had to drive the two of them to the hospital for there head wounds,lie to the police about there injuries,then turn myself into jail the next morning,sober.served like 20 something days,got credited for time served and got out the morning the tones came to town,meet chino that night and smoked a joint with him.that's how snw relates to a part of my life.Or more or less,that's what it reminds me of.
im me and thats all ill ever be

Bergerac

I first heard Adrenaline, I was in college and actually had asked to borrow my friend's copy of Korn's debut. I was 16 and just discovering Korn so when he gave me Adrenaline as well, which I hadn't asked for, because it was so different to what I was wanting to listen to right then I actually took it out of the CD player after a few songs. I think I remember being a little unimpressed by the production and 'normality' in comparison to 'Korn' so I just gave it back without having listened to it much.

A few months later White Pony comes out and I hear it through another friend and I was all over it, especially because of Pink Maggit. Given my age at the time my tastes were rapidly maturing and I quickly switched from Korn to Deftones. So order wise I went (brief flirt with Adrenaline)-White Pony-Adrenaline/Around The Fur. Fell in love with the band. These albums are pretty much about the 2 years I was in college with them, mostly WP. I don't really associate Adrenaline or ATF with a time period because of the order and how I got into them, I listen to those two albums in a very abstract way, they're largely removed from personal experience.

Then S/T came out and it was so different to WP I didn't know what to think. I'd left college and the social circle I'd come to know, was pretty much on my own at home and nursing a broken heart (from aforementioned social circle). Eventually came to love it as their best offering. I feel as though I was in the perfect mindset to get the album and that I kind of went through the shit with the band.

SNW came out and I hated it. I associate it with my first major admin job and then later seeing Deftones for the first time live on their 07 UK tour.

Diamond Eyes I heavily associate with my second major job and becoming familiar with a big city and feeling as though adulthood was cemented and the world had opened up, seeing all the women everywhere, bachelor fantasies, late 20s and visions of BDSM behind closed doors in apartments, high rise buildings, high street, dealing with the corporate reality, that type of thing. American Psycho period. LOL

Things are different, been with someone for a year and I imagine that Koi No Yokan is actually going to feel 'vulnerable' and somewhat 'innocent' and 'bruised' like S/T again.

ponyx

Longest post on SL. I was probably 15 (2009) when I first heard deftones. I was talking to this guy I liked and he had great taste in music he got me into bad brains, the cure and all this other stuff before deftones. Minerva was the first song I heard and I didn't think much of it. Around that time I was into metalcore and all that crap so Minerva didn't really appeal to me that's the only tones song I had in my ipod for about a year until I watched the movie Manic in one scene they go crazy to "headup" and I reeeally liked it and looked it up and to my surprise it was by Deftones I was like wut. So I downloaded a few songs, I remember seeing the song titles and thinking "wtf kind of names are these". I gave them a listen and Around the fur (song) caught my attention because he screamed yet had a really nice soft voice..it was a pretty voice not like those bands that sound the same with predictable melodies(the kind of bands I listened to then) Looking back its kinda hard to believe I hadn't heard anything like that before. Beware was another one... I loved how it was so unpredictable and the end just blew my mind. I fell in love with Damone aswell. One afternoon I was listening to sirius xm and Passenger came on and that's when I knew, I downloaded their discography and fell in love with them that summer of 2010. I had never wanted to see a band live so bad until that summer and immediatley bought tickets to see them with AIC. My first concert. They've really changed my taste in music. I went through depression my junior and senior year of highschool and I always found peace while listening to them, it sounds emo as hell but the only thing that kept me from killing myself sometimes was wanting to hear new music and experiencing it live. Diamond eyes had already been out when they really grew on me so this is my first time waiting for a deftones album. I know KNY is going to be special to me, and the meaning of the album title came at the right time in my life, I knew id fall in love when I first saw my ex and I did, we fell in love. But shit happens and this is the first time I go through this seems like I'm going back in that depression but I know this album will help me, I hope. Haha and I introduced him to Deftones :'(

xLhabiax

Oh and in a moment that's going to make me sound like an emo dork, after a long long relationship (we werent dating, i should just call her a friend with benefits that i wanted to murder/fuck...not in that order though....ok that sounded weird lol) with this chic i took the stupid teddy bear she bought me for our first valentines day and set it on fire at the little park next to my house in south jersey....while listening to "fist". i became obsessed with that song around the time we went south for good and happened to have my cd player (shutup it was like 2002 cd players were on their last leg ) on me late one night, and a water bottle full of gatorade and vodka and decided to drink then set the fucker on fire to solidify our end....again i know it was very emo pussy of me but hell i was 19, drunk, and confused
We are ok in a misguided Sadist way

punkflop01

To keep it simple, there are three albums that impacted me the most for specific reasons :

White Pony : this album came to me at a point in my life when everything was changing ...those last couple of years of high school. I just didn't know it yet.

S/T : A point in time when I reflected on the changes that had taken place over the previous 3 years, and not yet willing to accept it. And struggling to find myself.

SNW: Probably some of the darkest moments in my life - I think the reason it means so much to me is because I could see that the album was written from that same dark space. It resonated...not just the music, but the background to it as well.

Diamond Eyes didn't do anything for funnily enough.

Knucklestones

S/T is definitely for me right now. Going through a pretty bad break up. Ex; When Girls Telephone Boys: "I hope we never do meet again!"

shine down unshy

White Pony - Amazing times, jamming this in the hallways of highschool.  Don't know jackshit about life, don't really care.  Crazyness.
S/T - Life starting to change, still having good times.  Still fucking crazy. 
SNW - Life was amazing, I felt like I was in my prime at this point in my life and then it all changed.  Enter The Dark Ages.
DE - Life was back to being awesome, found myself and I seemed to find my musical niche at this point. 

And now I wait patiently for KNW.  Never felt better than I have now.  Bring it the fuck on.

chuckles

around the fur (dai the flu & mascara): really introduced me to them. was in high school 1999.

white pony: still in high school... experiencing the new aspect of life... love... music everything...

deftones: college life...trying to find that true love... etc.. this album till this day... its the most amazing thing ever created by a human! XD

saturday night wrist: another masterpiece...

diamond eyes: around the time when i got married & divorced... i remember when it got leaked.. that i called my ex wife.. screaming! its out!!! i fuckin love u blah blah...! then i remember listening to 976-Evil and battle axe from deftones... when i was getting divorce...

koi no yokan: so far... new experiences... dedicated rosemary to my current girlfriend... fuckin loved it...

to be exact... deftones music.. really changed everything around all of us... dunno how to explain it... its like when im in a bad mood, feel sad, happy whatever.. i need to listen to deftones...
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

7t9cobra

What a great thread. I'm 24 and I first heard them at 15. I heard my own summer on my high schools radio station and I was hooked, but I couldn't find out who the band was. A year later after me and my friend got our licenses, we were driving in his lifted yota and he pops in a cd he got from his brother. It was white pony. I finally realized that was the band that had that badass song on the radio. Though, that song was not on that album, I absolutely loved it. I started downloading as many songs as I could find and loved them all. Those years are really rough for a teenaged kid and dating. I was the only one I knew that loved the band and they helped me get through all the bad times and enhanced the good times. My most fond memory of the music is me and my friend with our trucks at the river with our girlfriends in the middle of the night (back when two-three week relationships were common) and I had my rear spider window open with deftones playing. I don't remember all the songs I had but needles, bloody cape and pink magget were on there. It was just a beautiful summer night ill never forget. Some other songs like teething, root and deathblow remind me of one particular girl I was pretty much in love with from the time I was 17 until I was almost 21. I had relationships with other girls but never could get her off my mind. I never did win her over either. There was always some hiccup on my end or hers. I drove a 66 jeep J-3000 pickup back then and that was a love by itself. I always associated my jeep with her and her with deftones.