Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Is Chino just going to rip off Justin Broadrick forever now?

Started by jaypayton, Feb 12, 2014, 07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypayton

If anyone knows anything about Justin Broadrick (Godflesh) you will know he has a band called Jesu which is more of a shoegazing/drone band which has also delved into electronic soundscapes/atmospherics.....Interesting that Palms and Crosses sound like the stuff Jesu was doing 5 years ago (coincidentally the Isis guys all worship Broadrick)   For deftones fans who don't know shit about Jesu, you may think Chino is breaking new ground with these bands...unfortunately he is not...Justin is used to bands ripping him off anyway, Korn jacked the riffs for their entire first record from Godflesh riffs. Nothing new

Palms much?

Jesu - Wolves

Crosses much?

Jesu - Falling From Grace

Dath

I appreciate the art of baiting but you're not particularly good at it.  :)

Silver is such an amazing EP though.

play

Your better off posting this in the jesu forum. Oh wait..

Go fuck yourself.

kurtone

You mean the shit Chino does isn't 100 percent original?! This guy's a great big phoney!!  I want my money for all the Deftones/Team Sleep/Palms/Crosses shit I've purchased over the years back. Fucking scam artist.

digital bath

The greatest artists, even scientists and inventors in the history of this world admit, that they were inspired by others, have copied from them and even taken over their work.
So who the fuck cares?
Tell me one person who has started with zero, inspired by no one and were nevertheless successfully.

buddyboy101

I personally don't hear anything substantially similar.  But even if there were, I like when artists put their own spin and pay homage to their influences. 

Inkblades

Yes, because Chino has only been making electronic music for the past five years.

Inkblades

Quote from: buddyboy101 on Feb 12, 2014, 08:17 PM
But even if there were, I like when artists put their own spin and pay homage to their influences. 

Exactly. And Chino has always been an artist who wears his influences on his sleeves...even with his Deftones records. I mean, the Crosses music is obviously influenced by a lot of different artists, genres and sounds. Depeche Mode (This is a Trick), NIN (Bitches Brew), Blur (The Epilogue) and even Pink Floyd (1994, 1987). Who says the guy has to reinvent the wheel? As long as he keeps making good music, I'm good.

DeftonesNZ

I love Jesu but they're not even copies though just the same sort of vibe, it's not even close to being really similair either especially when it comes to Chino's contributions as he was the focus of your post, as a vocalist him and Justin are totally different Justin doesn't even really sing he talks, and do me a favour just play those Jesu songs you linked and then actually post the songs you think have copied them, that first one is more Isis than anything, Palms never had slow distorted guitars that sounds more like the drop b stuff of Isis, Palms is a totally different style the drums on Palms are also way different Jesu sounds like a non drummer programming a basic beat Palms is a dedicated drum using a whole real kit and a faster tempo aswell, seriously break down all the elements of these songs as in the vocals,guitars etc and they are nothing a like.

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

shoop

nicklav

Northcal

Fucking Mexican chino always stealing peoples ideas!!!

ANattyRat

Wow, Chino sucks. How dare he make music that shares similarities with anyone? Ew. Musicians have to create music that doesn't remotely sound like anything ever made in the history of music, or they're ripping people off.

jaypayton

Jesu song recorded in 2006...if you don't think Crosses sounds like this......come on

Jesu - Why Are We Not Perfect

DeftonesNZ

Not really it has synths and electronic drum samples but the composition is totally different the pacing is way off for one thing, vocals aren't even close and the guitar is alot different the use of the drum samples is alot different Justin just does simple beats with one or two different sounds crosses is a lot more complex using a much wider variety of samples, I think you just need to listen to more music I really respect him and like his style but Justin by no means was the first to combine synths and programmed drums,plus there are vst plugins and sample sets that are widely used all over the industry.

pony_01

well, anybody know any other band with similar beats like in the end of Dea†h Bell besides Telephone Tel Aviv?? really digging on those trippy beats. i believe chino made it

deftjess

this person jaypayton is on a personal mission to destroy Deftones and chino.

Good luck on you mission.

cvthedrv

honeybeewu

OMG. Thank you for the lolz guys. These responses are KILLING me ;D