Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Album Week Gold Edition, Week 2: LOSTPILOT's "Best Tape Ever"

Started by lostpilot, Dec 12, 2014, 09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostpilot

WELCOME!! Endless possibilities appear as we all explore different genres and sub-genres of music and find true gems, timeless songs and music with it's own unique voice and unique identity, an artist, a vision, a sound. I want to share with you some of my most favourite albums & songs throughout 2014/2013 as my identity and music influences navigated more towards universal music forms and less towards obscure music forms. I present to you..

"BEST TAPE EVER"

..and by tape I mean a collection of great immersive songs, a great experience. For your own best experience, please listen to the songs completely and following one after another, the sequence of these songs also adds some flavour.

ATTENTION: THIS IS ALSO AVAILABLE IN A SINGLE YOUTUBE PLAYLIST, it's at the bottom of the thread, so you can enjoy a song after a song and not keep this tab open while you live your life and do THINGS. Go to the bottom if you refuse to stay here.

MR. TWIN SISTER - "SENSITIVE" from MR. TWIN SISTER

Mr Twin Sister - Sensitive

Details: A band that already had quite a ridiculous name added a "Mr." to their name this year and released one of my most listened to albums of 2014, mostly for four or five songs that are truly great. This is not the usual band's sound, they have evolved into this through a couple of albums, and this is truly their masterpiece.
What's great about it: All the waves, sparkling guitars, intensity, that amazing swoosh at around 5:00, sex.

THE APPLESEED CAST - "GREAT LAKE DERELICT" from ILLUMINATION RITUAL

The Appleseed Cast- Great Lake Derelict

Details: "The Appleseed Cast" have always been my favourite "almost post-rock but with vocals nevertheless rock anthems with progressive passages in autumn minor" rock band (sorry, guys), and I love many albums of theirs, but this album is everything what's the best of this band. This album replenishes your heart every single time. 
What's great about it: This is what walking through a park on an autumn day feels like.

M83 - "WAIT" from HURRY UP, WE'RE DREAMING (a.k.a. probably the best album ever)

M83 - "Wait" (Official Video)

Details: I am sorry, but I will not explain M83. If you have been living under a rock for the past ten years and don't know these guys, it's your own loss and your own fault. And yes, you might say "this is not exactly tentacle rapecore and no one is screaming" but Anthony Gonzalez who is reponsible for M83 is truly one of my greatest idols in music, he is basically living the life I want to live and making the music I want to have made.
What's great about it: Everything. No time. WATCH THE VIDEO. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR.

FKA twigs - "TWO WEEKS" from LP2 (a.k.a. probably the only "I made two fucking great songs but the rest is weird" album ever)

FKA twigs - Two Weeks (Audio)

Details: You might have heard of FKA twigs; she was a back up dancer for some slutwave popstars and was only know as the "video girl", and then she was like "no you didn't" and then released an album which features two absolutely beautiful songs and the rest is a really weird broken up imagery with her dancing through the shells and clicks of electronic sauna.
What's great about it: She has a beautiful voice. But the album is rather obscure.

SOHN - "LESSONS" from TREMORS

SOHN - Lessons (Official Video)

Details: I have heard a couple of this guy's songs before he released the album and it was instantly good, this guy was probably preparing the album for a really long time (coincidentally, I am too), and decided to release just the best material. And this year has truly been his year - the album got great attention, the songs are great and he created his own signature sound.
What's great about it: Intensity, quality.

CARIBOU - "CAN'T DO WITHOUT YOU" from OUR LOVE

CARIBOU - Can't Do Without You

Details: Surely electronic music, EDM and post-dubstep music forms have taken over the mainsteam music scene but then there's always artists like "Caribou" who manage to find their own sound and make it timeless. This is a very sexy song. Whole album represents their own sonic voice in electronic music scene.
What's great about it: Can't do without, can't do without, can't do without, can't do without, can't do without, I can't do without you.

iamamiwhoami - "THE LAST DANCER" from BLUE

the last dancer

Details: The most important album of 2014, so underrated, undervalued. A great blue gem in an ocean of disgusting cut up radio music; she is a true talent, and song by song, video by video, she shared her vision with the audience. Her previous albums were just as well audiovisual but this marks an important twist in her music making and production.
What's great about it: Every song is great, the visual journey is exciting, I can't wait for her to lead me to the future.

JUNIP - "WITHOUT YOU" from JUNIP

Junip - Without You

Details: While "Junip" write sure a lot of music, everything belongs to them, every song is theirs and every song is good, they play their strengths. The acoustic pleasures of this album..
What's great about it: The beautiful distortion when his voice meets the guitar and everything collides.

ST. LUCIA - "TOO CLOSE" from WHEN THE NIGHT

St. Lucia - Too Close

Details: High caliber debut album, where they mix some outrageous pop with really cool progressive 80's pop come back tunes. There is closeness to the stellar quality of M83 but this band has their own thing going on. This is a more intense track, but there are tracks in this album for a sunny day when you want to go for a run and smile to people.
What's great about it: Heartbreaking sunsets with a cigarette in your hand while understanding the universe and fresh spring days.

ANATHEMA - "THE LOST SONG" (PART III) from DISTANT SATELLITES/b]

Anathema - The Lost Song part 3 (FULL TRACK) (from Distant Satellites)

Details: I doubt that I will remember many bands of what I'm listening to right now when I'm fifty five years old, but I will surely remember "Anathema". Timeless music about freedom and love, progressive, true, honest and heartbreaking and all the same beautiful.
What's great about it: Meaning of life.

HAMMOCK - "ORIGINAL LIGHT" from THE SLEEPOVER SERIES, VOLUME 2/b]

Original Light (The Sleepover Series, Vol. 2) HQ

Details: And the closer, an album by "Hammock" that I wanted them to make for a long time, and they did, pure ambient, pure bliss, floating in bed and dreaming. They make some of the most beautiful music on planet earth.
What's great about it: Endlessly.

Thank you for listening, I hope you liked it.
The next to post is black coffee. Is this how this works? Where am I?

PLAYLIST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY3D8uuR0MI&list=PLMf0qrIGohDfxXI_PmlZoCmbfIEpajbo0&spfreload=10

lostpilot

Crazylegs

Three songs in. First one was the boooooomb, my favorite so far. I like this concept.

An bád dubh

Nice post! Thank you for putting in so many hours to bring us this playlist! I will listen to it from start to finish while I paint today. I'll read your complete text later.

And yes, you can just choose who's next, as long as the person is able to do it next weekend.

I'll put some comments in during the evening!

Crazylegs

Great playlist, man. My favorites are, like i said Mr. Twin Sister, and Sohn was brilliant! The m83 track too, is wonderful, and makes me wonder why i don't listen to that album more often.

Other than that, i find most everything enjoyable, but there are a few artists in here i've struggled with a bit previously, namely Appleseed Cast, Caribou, Anathema, and Hammock all of which i've never gotten into though i've checked them out. The Hammock track sounds like something i might like to listen to while reading, so i'm probably going to check that album out.

All in all, very nice!

An bád dubh

This was rather perfect (wall) painting music. Soothing and pretty. Overall the whole "tape" was very dreamy and relaxing.

Now listening to the tape again from start to finish. Giving my comment on each song:

Mr Twin Sister - Sensitive
- Started slowly but at 2.00 the song just exploded (as much as a song of like this can explode). Great bass, cool drums, eerie atmosphere and pretty vocals. I will check the full  album at some point. My list is really long though, we'll see when I get to it.

The Appleseed Cast - Great Lake Derelict

- I liked the synths starting after the 1-minute mark. Theres something about The Appleseed Cast that I cant get into. Its probably too positive and optimistic musicwise (cant say if thats true with the lyrics or not, as I dont listen to them 95 % of the time).

M83 - Wait
- The music is very "big" not an empty moment anywhere. That's proobably what people love too. For me its not doing it. Probably have to check out M83 better one day still.

FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
-  The songs starts off great, the music is pretty and interesting, the vocals are beautiful and I like the abrupt singing style. In this one I heard the lyrics even if I didnt try to. I loved the random curse words here and there, so unconventional with this style of music, so great :D So what's the second great song on her album? I wanna check it, as well as the whole album.

SOHN - Lessons
- I liked his vocals, reminded me of Tracy Chapman (although Tracy is a woman). I also liked the lyrics (again I heard them even though I didnt try to, which is at times a good thing, at times not). I liked the feeling of the song. I might check this later too.

Caribou - Can't Do Without You

- In my opinion this song would have needed more vocals than the "Cant do without you" -part. Some of my all time favorite songs are like this though, with just sentence or two. I didnt feel this music as much as the others before this, even though I was happy about the change at the 1.30 mark.

iamamiwhoami - The Last Dancer
- This song caught my attention on the first time listening through this playlist. Was it because of the at times Tori Amos -sounding vocals? Maybe. Most probably though the part starting at 1.40 did it when she goes high. WIth taht said, I like her higher register, otherwise on the second listen this song didnt have the same affect as during the first one. STill, its very Tori Amosish, which I like. Electronic Tori Amos. This song is probably enough from this artist though.

Junip - Without You
- This song too caught my attention on the first listen. I like the rhytm of the song. The vocals remind me of Innaway. An ok song, but enough from this artist.

St. Lucia - Too Close
- The vocals are very familiar. When I read your text now that I listen to this, I agree that its very 80's pop with something else. Very poppy, from back in the days when music described as pop music was pop music. Wont check more.

Anathema - The Lost Song part 3
- I remember when I was introduced to Anathema in the military back in 2004. It was very different than this. I liked the female vocals stepping in before the 2 minute mark. The voices go well together. Are there both male and female vocals throughout the album or is this song an exception? If there are, I might check the full album.

Hammock - Original Light
- This was too ambient for me.

All in all, this was a great listen. Thanks again for putting in so much time to make the texts and the list, was fun. I also liked the fact that you put them into a playlist as well. Made it so much easier to enjoy the full tape, rather than opening it song by song.

black coffee

Mr Twin Sister is maybe my favorite of the playlist, will definitely get my hands on the album.

Not much to say about M83. Been listening to them for about 10 years now. Favorite album is Saturdays = Youth but Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is great, too.

FKA Twigs is cool, a friend showed me this on Spotify a couple days ago and I enjoyed it. Maybe not in a way that I would listen to an entire album of this, but for a single track this works.

Not liking Sohn. Sorry if an explanation is missing, but I just don't like it.

About Junip, at first I thought the vocals were a bit annoying but it does fit nicely to the music. Will give it another try.

Theres just something about Hammock. Pretty sure I have most of their discography, but hardly ever listen to it. Its just when I open the folder I usually have no idea what album to listen to as they are so similar to each other.

St. Lucia has a cool 80's vibe and there are parts in the song that I am liking, but also parts that get on my nerves.

The track by Anathema was good, but to speak the truth I am not really searching for music like this.

Caribou is something I could never get into. Same can be said about The Appleseed Cast. Sometimes when a new album leaked by them I listened to it, only to find out I still don't like it

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Of course I accept the nomination for next weekend and I've already been collecting some ideas.

trying hard not to get too excited but its hopeless!!

lostpilot

lostpilot

Quote from: An bád dubh on Dec 13, 2014, 06:39 PM
So many questions

For Anathema, yes, in most songs they song both, it's a beautiful band a beautiful album, check it.

For FKA twigs, another great song is Pendulum. Other songs are too trippy.

And guys, sadly other songs on Mr. Twin Sister album are quite different, darker, more dancy and abstract in a sense. There are probably four orgasmic great tracks and other tracks reveal the band's other side, twisted, darker.

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Dec 20, 2014, 12:20 PM
Quote from: An bád dubh on Dec 13, 2014, 06:39 PM
So many questions

For Anathema, yes, in most songs they song both, it's a beautiful band a beautiful album, check it.

For FKA twigs, another great song is Pendulum. Other songs are too trippy.

And guys, sadly other songs on Mr. Twin Sister album are quite different, darker, more dancy and abstract in a sense. There are probably four orgasmic great tracks and other tracks reveal the band's other side, twisted, darker.

Thanks!