Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow46/2

Quote from: Capt Snow on Feb 05, 2016, 09:22 AM
Lol I mixed that 1 hour thing up. Spotify actually said "1 song, 3 mins, 38 secs"

Sorry guys.
Maybe so. But the vinyl is a double LP so at least we know the album is long enough to warrant 2 records.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

from_musings

listening to prayers/triangles on spotify was a far better experience than listening to that webrip version which sounded like it was recorded with a toaster.personally though i wish chino would shut up between 0:40-0:55 and 2:53-3:05 and let those exact parts be instrumental. let the music speak for itself there. outro/last part is pretty cool and simple with nice effects..reminds me a little of combat demo version

77years

I was really curious about the cover art (not the video) being CGI so I started digging around looking for flamingo pictures to see if they actually fly like that. And they do in Africa where that type of flamingo (assuming that is a "greater flamingo" per my .05 research) is prevalent. There's some National Geographic flamingo pix that are astounding. I can only imagine how insane it would be to actually see hundreds of them flying simultaneously.  Theres a few flamingo National Geographic videos too.

I wonder if Frank Maddocks recently traveled to Namibia. Or maybe it is clever CGI.  The video and the art are similar but differently sourced.

Incidentally I read that the flamingo population in Africa is declining due to lead poisoning in lakes.

I also knew that flamingo(e)s are extremely close to their mate, as in, if the female dies, the male is adversely affected. There was a case last year or something where some douchebag fraternity brothers captured a flamingo for the sake of a prank and they took the female from a zoo, and the male remained behind in captivity and later died.  Incidentally the female they captured died as well because the pranksters didn't know how to transport it and shoved it in the back seat of a car and it died.

And I guess it's sort of not a surprise to me that the word flamingo is from Spanish meaning "flamenco" or "color of flames".

Fuckin flamingos man. What the fuck.

mono

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Feb 05, 2016, 06:01 AM
Pre ordered and I met Stephen today! :D

What a nice day

Not related but: what's stef talking about in the event? about the sound of the fishman's?
thanks!

m1nusblindfoLd

Is there anyway he's not actually saying "pray-er" or "pray-ers" in the chorus? The middle of the word sounds so "bent" that I almost want to say he is really saying "pray on" or something else to have it be two words and make more sense...

Hinojos

Does anyone know or have an idea of what the symbolism behind the "Triangles" part is?
I'm breaking it down here: http://genius.com/Deftones-prayers-triangles-lyrics - and unless it's going over my head, I have no idea what that could be about at the moment.

I'm interested in what y'all think haha, it could possibly change the entire meaning of the song for me.

m1nusblindfoLd

Quote from: Hinojos on Feb 05, 2016, 02:20 PM
Does anyone know or have an idea of what the symbolism behind the "Triangles" part is?
I'm breaking it down here: http://genius.com/Deftones-prayers-triangles-lyrics - and unless it's going over my head, I have no idea what that could be about at the moment.

I'm interested in what y'all think haha, it could possibly change the entire meaning of the song for me.

Reminds me of diamonds ala Diamond Eyes. Like another symbol that means....something...

ANattyRat

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Feb 05, 2016, 02:16 PM
Is there anyway he's not actually saying "pray-er" or "pray-ers" in the chorus? The middle of the word sounds so "bent" that I almost want to say he is really saying "pray on" or something else to have it be two words and make more sense...

Definitely 'prayers'. I had no idea he was saying 'prayers' until I heard 'triangles', then I realised it was 'prayers'. Just that he's pronouncing it to fit it to the melody, I guess.

defTHE1s

Quote from: Cullision on Feb 05, 2016, 06:46 AM
Does anyone realize deftones uploaded the song prayers/triangles on their YouTube a bit ago?
It says Uploaded Feb 4th.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

beaverwithfishyshoes

lyrics can be born from the songwriter trying to find a word based on sound and length, instead of meaning.

not that its all random, it probably has meaning, but rather vague.

BillyNo.9

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Feb 04, 2016, 11:34 PM
Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Feb 04, 2016, 11:26 PM
Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Feb 04, 2016, 11:19 PM
Cool! P/T is up on Spotify, as well!

-.-

'sup?

Ah nothing man, I checked spotiy the second I saw your post but it wasn't up yet, thought you wuz trollin'
Must have just taken longer to get upped on the UK version or something

stu_101

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Feb 05, 2016, 04:17 PM
Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Feb 04, 2016, 11:34 PM
Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Feb 04, 2016, 11:26 PM
Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Feb 04, 2016, 11:19 PM
Cool! P/T is up on Spotify, as well!

-.-

'sup?

Ah nothing man, I checked spotiy the second I saw your post but it wasn't up yet, thought you wuz trollin'
Must have just taken longer to get upped on the UK version or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bifrost

my interpretation:

I think he is working out a duality here, Prayers (trying to connect with a higher force - a christian theme usually) and triangles (I think of the third eye in the forehead, he says laced in your mind, maybe referencing the pineal gland- more of an enlightenment theme) he is petitioning for help - but answers: you will never be free, you will never be free.

Pretty dark lyrics, darker than the music lets on I think, interesting.

there is internal conflict:

"there's a new strange...
godless demon awake, inside me

there's a force divine
terrorizing the angels i keep"

He petitions for help but states (or the entity inside him?) - you will never be free

"i'm a true slave
to the fire and the air... around you

while this curse divine
it's slowly rotting away inside me
while we dream"

- then, he gives you a hint at the end, how he got here and a warning possibly?

"i will never walk this street again!
the only time i feel i'm not alone!
i pull my heart out, waved it in the air!
i pull my heart out... beware!"

again this is my interpretation, but I think if you follow the arc of Chino's lyrics from around DE to here you can see this theme coming together, (This place is death - lyrics, diamond eyes as well)

CarloDefDonno

Quote from: from_musings on Feb 05, 2016, 01:33 PM
personally though i wish chino would shut up between 0:40-0:55 and 2:53-3:05 and let those exact parts be instrumental. let the music speak for itself there.

This. It would make the song much better. The beautiful riff is overwhelmed by those PRAYEEERS.

Aren't this bundles much more expensive than those that were available for KNY? Also, they could offer a better t-shirt and the sunset thing is just, I don't know, I don't really like it.

Reichward

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_%28album%29#Track_listing

Where does the track length info comes from? Anyone has a reliable source on this?

Sicario

Quote from: Reichward on Feb 05, 2016, 07:40 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_%28album%29#Track_listing

Where does the track length info comes from? Anyone has a reliable source on this?

I fell like someone just put times in. I noticed all the times have decimals or periods next to them with the exception of Prayers/Triangles.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Freedomsoldier17

current opinion on prayers/triangles after a few listens:

the verses are just gorgeous. i love the vocal atmosphere and that pure guitar riff. sergio kills the bassline and abe starts mellow then goes full on when the chorus drops.

chorus is just as awesome. the backing vocals did catch me off guard at first but i adjusted now its seems perfectly coupled with that heaven guitar ring from the verses. the way chino's voice soars when saying prayers or triangles, and the way he brings his voice down a bit when saying "you will never be free."his singing has definitely not lost its luster. steph is going hard on his guitar, bringing the heaviness, and it does great with the atmosphere.

as for the bridge, it's not quite as thrilling. the change in guitar tone is weird in a way i don't like and chino's screaming seems overly distorted. but the way it builds back to the ending chorus does seem like it fits in somehow though.

9/10 - it's hard to limit my listens to this song to once day

RaptureWS

I wonder if they will release another song before the album release. We have heard two songs before the release of the past three albums. With Prayers/Triangles though the artwork is the album artwork which leads me to believe this will be the only single they really promote. Not to mention the fact that it is a radio friendly song.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Reichward

Quote from: RaptureWS on Feb 05, 2016, 10:33 PM
I wonder if they will release another song before the album release. We have heard two songs before the release of the past three albums. With Prayers/Triangles though the artwork is the album artwork which leads me to believe this will be the only single they really promote. Not to mention the fact that it is a radio friendly song.
http://deftones.warnerartists.net/fr/gore/gore-180g-black-vinyl-1.html?intcmp=160203%2Fdeftones%2Fwbr%2Fspl%2Fs_pr%2Fbut%2Fbdy%2Fww%2Fgore-preorder-splash_vinyl-preorder

Bundle Includes:

Gore 180g Black Vinyl 
    Gore Digital Album 
    Prayers/Triangles Digital Single 
    Digital Single #2 - TBA

Slacker

Quote from: RaptureWS on Feb 05, 2016, 10:33 PM

yeah i think a second song is a safe bet.

in any case, i think that in the march dates, they will include a couple of new songs. so, at list new live stuff is to be expected.