Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYRexall

Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 07, 2016, 12:35 AM

I don't know, I can't blame people for wanting aggression, especially vocally. Chino was (and still is, at least sometimes, in the right moment) an awesome screamer. For a lot of people, they love that absolutely raw aggression mixed in with the beauty and melodic (both musically and vocally). And so do I. I don't have a favourite direction from them, I don't want a super-aggressive album, but I don't want a super-soft album either. I love that mixture that they bring, often even in the same song. I do think Chino is never going to be able to scream like he used to, though, and while that sucks, we have to accept that. Miss it? For sure. But whether it's because he didn't take good enough care of his voice, or because he just isn't as into it anymore, that's just the reality.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if he was still screaming into his 50s; I just don't expect him to be. If he;s comfortable doing so and it's not a total embarrassment, then I say go for it

QuotePlus he'll still play heavy songs live. They were playing WGTB at their shows recently and he was doing brilliantly, wasn't he?

Were they? That's impressive. I'm currently out of the loop on their setlist for this past touring cycle. Like I said, if he's comfortable pulling it off...

QuoteGood stuff, but those song lengths on Wikipedia haven't been confirmed, so I don't think it's something to go by just yet. (L)MIRL I think is probably going to be very heavy, or quite laidback but dark-sounding. For some reason, I expect a similar feel, lyrically, to Digital Bath. Maybe just because the album is called Gore, it's supposed to be a darker-sounding album, and Let's Meet In Real Life seems like a nice context for a dark themed song, you know?

Yea, will be interesting to see if the current track lengths are legit or not. I'm just hoping (L)MIRL isn't some short instrumental snippet or something. Can definitely see it being a rager though

kleptoned

Great start to what is gonna be a great record

ANattyRat

Quote from: Reichward on Feb 07, 2016, 12:48 AM
I'm intrigued by LMIRL as well. But I am even more eager to hear the title track, Gore. I expect it to be like a punch in the face. At the beginning of the end of the album, after all these melodic/atmospheric songs (because P/T is clearly not going to be the only one), just something raw and brutal, you know? I would trip on that.

Funny you say that, because for me, it seems like Gore will be a quite moody but not necessarily heavy song. Like Battle-Axe or Moana or something. Not necessarily that it'll sound like that, just that kind of mood. Then again, if it is a long track, it'll probably have heavy elements to it. It's funny how the titles are enough to make you speculate, and we all interpret it in different ways. Pretty cool.

I never expected the tracklist to be legit, for some reason. Even for Deftones, it seemed too weird. But that just makes me more intrigued to hear the music, you know? Interesting, unique titles always grab my attention (bands, songs, poems, movies, anything).

I really love this forum around this time, when it gets active and everyone is discussing and speculating. Feels nice.

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 07, 2016, 01:16 AM
Yea, will be interesting to see if the current track lengths are legit or not. I'm just hoping (L)MIRL isn't some short instrumental snippet or something. Can definitely see it being a rager though

Oh my god, if it's really that short, it better not be some stupid phone conversation with some music in the background. That'd be such a waste of a track.

Val

I'm intrigued by LMIRL as well. But I am even more eager to hear the title track, Gore. I expect it to be like a punch in the face. At the beginning of the end of the album, after all these melodic/atmospheric songs (because P/T is clearly not going to be the only one), just something raw and brutal, you know? I would trip on that.
Hopefully LMIRL is just straight minute of Deftones+power violence.

NYRexall

Gregorerio the supposed record label guy is posting over in the P/T = H/W thread that the track lengths seem legit if he remembers correctly, and that Hearts/Wires is going to be some sort of uptempo chillout shit that's super-catchy? I bet that one is going to throw everyone for a loop the first time they hear it  :D

Inkblades

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 07, 2016, 12:16 AM
So while we wait...

Anyone want to take a stab at how the new songs are going to sound, based on their titles and what little information we know right now? I'll take a poke...

1. Prayers/Triangles - Comfortable Deftones album opener with some new twists, setting the tone for what's ahead (i.e. Swerve City, Feitceiria, Hexagram)

2. Acid Hologram - Weird ass Deftones track showcasing the more technical aspects promised on the album (i.e. Digital Bath, 976-Evil)

3. Doomed User - Epic, Minerva-like balladesque track that showcases their love for keyboards and spaciness on the new album

4. Geometric Headdress - Another weird as fuck "technical" song in the vein of 'Poltergeist' or "Dai The Flu"

5. Hearts/Wires - Spacey mind-blowing album ballad such as 'Entombed' or 'AOAUE' were on their respective albums

6. Pittura Infamante - Balls-to-the-wall ass-kicking Deftones rager, showing off their technical prowess and going straight for the throat

7. Xenon - Weird mid-tempo experimental track like 'Xerces' or 'Teenager' that segways into the album's back half

8. (L)MIRL - This could go one of two ways, I'm guessing. It's a warp-speed teeth-gnashing rager in the vein of 'When Girls Telephone Boys' and 'Elite', or it's going to be some funky ass ho-down shit like 'Lucky You' or 'Pink Cellphone'. I'm hoping it's a warped version of the former, if they're including a track that's less than two minutes this deep into the album..

9. Gore - A traditional Deftones throw-down track in the tradition of 'Guaze', 'Korea', and 'Headup' that gets you in position for the album's parting shots

10. Phantom Bride - I bet this really is the one with Cantrell's contribution. Hopefully, it's a fucking dirge-fest like the stuff on AIC's most recent album, with Steph and Jerry's huge riffs lurching along to Abe's drums of doom and Sergio's bottom end, while Chino wails over the top. Then Frank comes in with some mind-blowing keyboard shit that bolsters the long-awaited collaboration into the stratosphere, before...

11. Rubicon - A mind-bending experimental ballad track unlike anything Deftones have ever dropped in their entire career. Basically, I'm hoping this is like KNY's 'What Happened to You', only pushed to its experimental breaking point, with its epic length giving the whole thing plenty of time to spread out and express what the band intended it to

Ok, I'll play.

1. Prayers/Triangles - We know what this one sounds like.

2. Acid Hologram - I'm going to say this is the song with Cantrell, and it will be the same as the snippet floating around. Hopefully, because that snippet is bad ass. Anyway, this song will be dark, heavy and epic, but still extremely melodic.

3. Doomed User - Should be interesting to see if this bears any resemblance to the Team Sleep demo or if its something completely different. That demo is pretty much just a straight up hip hop beat. The title sounds like something that might be futuristic/cyberpunkish, so maybe it will have that vibe.

4. Geometric Headdress - The title just sounds psychedelic, so I think that will be in that vibe - trippy and experimental. Something with a similar "jammy" guitar tone to Smile, the leaked Eros jam and Prayers/Triangles verse riff.

5. Hearts/Wires - A mid-tempo love ballad, but with a punky, post-hardcore sound. So, in other words, Beauty School-ish.

6. Pittura Infamante - I'll second your prediction. This will be the heaviest song on the record, but in a really unique way. It will have almost kind of an industrial/Medieval sound, if that makes sense.

7. Xenon - Failure-esque space rock.

8. (L)MIRL - Hard to tell. Could be a ballad, could be brutal.

9. Gore - This will be Depeche Mode-esque, just because of the title.

10. Phantom Bride - The title sounds kind of goth-y to me, so maybe something with a dark vibe similar to The Cure? I second it being a haunting dirge. I'm hoping for something in the vein of Kimdracula or Riviere, where it's a bit creepy and eerie.

11. Rubicon - Hard to tell, but with a title like that, it better be an epic closer! I want something like Pink Maggit, but with a spacey, Pink Floyd twist. I hope that eight minute length rumor is true. Take me to the far reaches of time and space, Deftones!

E-Money

Quote from: Val on Feb 07, 2016, 02:52 AM
Hopefully LMIRL is just straight minute of Deftones+power violence.

Or something lush and beautiful like the outro to Rosemary :) I'll take either one!

defTHE1s

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 06, 2016, 11:34 PM
I bought a KNY tour shirt in 2012 that had the tour dates on the back, and the album cover on the front. The screening art almost feels like it's a part of the shirt's fabric; very lightweight and soft. I wash it inside out and it's gotten softer over the years with every cleaning and the artwork hasn't faded a bit. I love its quality
I have the same but without the tour dates and it still keeps it's quality, it's one of my favs.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

ConcealingFate92

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 07, 2016, 12:06 AM
Quote from: Sicario on Feb 06, 2016, 05:30 PMI don't necessarily need screaming to be happy.

Agreed.

I'm actually hoping this is the last Deftones album where Chino screams his ass off on some of the songs. Dude is almost 43 years old; he can't be expected to go out there tour after tour and keep up with songs like Hexagram, Elite and Royal. Hopefully Gore is the album where the band starts shifting into a more lush, melodic sound that forgoes some of the teeth-gnashing for more moody, experimental stuff.

I'm not saying they have to forego the heaviness of their music in any way. I just never even consider Chino's screams as one of the things that makes him one of my favorite singers ever. I certainly don't sit and scrutinize every scream of his like some do. The whole reason why I loved the Crosses album as much as any Deftones album is because it was heavy on his melodies and his actual singing. Does he scream at all on that album, except for the end of Bitches Brew? I barely even noticed.

This is the perfect album -- and time -- for the band to start shifting gears into a heavy, more lush sound that doesn't kill Chino's throat and allows him to finally lean 100% on his gift for melodicism. Anyone who expects him to be shrieking to stuff like When Girls Telephone Boys in his mid-40s needs to let it go..

You know what makes WGTB so perfect? It's how Chino floats between anger and sadness. It's that "drunk and depressing" style that he uses when he sings "I'll wear the claws if you like that, yeah if you like that we can ride on a black horse..." and then he put his heart out in "a great new wave of hispanic death horses!". For me, it's always been  this amazing ride that Chino gave us that kept me a fan since 1999, when i heard Mascara and MX for the first time.

I know that he's getting older, and soon enough he will never do that amazing " eagle" scream that he does in live version of Knife Party or WGTB, and for me it's alright, it's not the end of the world... But i'll miss it.

Always the same old taste, just a new injury...

RaptureWS

For some reason I have a feel that LMIRL will be like a "Pink Cellphone" or even a "Lucky You" style track. A filler/throwaway track. The past two albums have not had any of these tracks though so hopefully I  am wrong as I much rather have a full song of course.. I know Lucky You is a song too, but you get my point.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

NYRexall

Quote from: ConcealingFate92 on Feb 07, 2016, 05:03 AM

You know what makes WGTB so perfect? It's how Chino floats between anger and sadness. It's that "drunk and depressing" style that he uses when he sings "I'll wear the claws if you like that, yeah if you like that we can ride on a black horse..." and then he put his heart out in "a great new wave of hispanic death horses!". For me, it's always been  this amazing ride that Chino gave us that kept me a fan since 1999, when i heard Mascara and MX for the first time.

I know that he's getting older, and soon enough he will never do that amazing " eagle" scream that he does in live version of Knife Party or WGTB, and for me it's alright, it's not the end of the world... But i'll miss it.

LoL isn't it "a great new wave Hesparian death horse"? I could be wrong here...

Funny to hear you say it's got sad overtones to it...I've never gotten anything but "bitch, I'm going to murder you and then play in your blood" vibes from that song. It's dark as fuck..

ConcealingFate92

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 07, 2016, 07:04 AM

Funny to hear you say it's got sad overtones to it...I've never gotten anything but "bitch, I'm going to murder you and then play in your blood" vibes from that song. It's dark as fuck..

Bah, i think that its really Hesparian, i always sing Hispanic... Don't ask me why haha

And yeah, it's not exactly a sad song or any close to it, but when he sings some parts like i've said it earlier, it sounds dark and depressing...

It's not a Mascara-like sadness, but still...

(Also, sorry for my english, it's not my primary language)
Always the same old taste, just a new injury...

wheresmysnare

Quote from: defTHE1s on Feb 06, 2016, 10:20 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 06, 2016, 10:13 PM
Does anyone else feel like the song rushes to get to the chorus? 45 seconds in, there's a the chorus.
Yeah, it feels rushed indeed.

Yeah I had the same feeling when i heard romantic dreams the first few times. the chorus just appears out of no where, almost unannounced by the verse. Although after a load of listens it will no doubt seem perfectly natural for the chorus to kick in when it does

ToneDef

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 07, 2016, 12:16 AM
So while we wait...

Anyone want to take a stab at how the new songs are going to sound, based on their titles and what little information we know right now? I'll take a poke...

1. Prayers/Triangles - Comfortable Deftones album opener with some new twists, setting the tone for what's ahead (i.e. Swerve City, Feitceiria, Hexagram)

2. Acid Hologram - Weird ass Deftones track showcasing the more technical aspects promised on the album (i.e. Digital Bath, 976-Evil)

3. Doomed User - Epic, Minerva-like balladesque track that showcases their love for keyboards and spaciness on the new album

4. Geometric Headdress - Another weird as fuck "technical" song in the vein of 'Poltergeist' or "Dai The Flu"

5. Hearts/Wires - Spacey mind-blowing album ballad such as 'Entombed' or 'AOAUE' were on their respective albums

6. Pittura Infamante - Balls-to-the-wall ass-kicking Deftones rager, showing off their technical prowess and going straight for the throat

7. Xenon - Weird mid-tempo experimental track like 'Xerces' or 'Teenager' that segways into the album's back half

8. (L)MIRL - This could go one of two ways, I'm guessing. It's a warp-speed teeth-gnashing rager in the vein of 'When Girls Telephone Boys' and 'Elite', or it's going to be some funky ass ho-down shit like 'Lucky You' or 'Pink Cellphone'. I'm hoping it's a warped version of the former, if they're including a track that's less than two minutes this deep into the album..

9. Gore - A traditional Deftones throw-down track in the tradition of 'Guaze', 'Korea', and 'Headup' that gets you in position for the album's parting shots

10. Phantom Bride - I bet this really is the one with Cantrell's contribution. Hopefully, it's a fucking dirge-fest like the stuff on AIC's most recent album, with Steph and Jerry's huge riffs lurching along to Abe's drums of doom and Sergio's bottom end, while Chino wails over the top. Then Frank comes in with some mind-blowing keyboard shit that bolsters the long-awaited collaboration into the stratosphere, before...

11. Rubicon - A mind-bending experimental ballad track unlike anything Deftones have ever dropped in their entire career. Basically, I'm hoping this is like KNY's 'What Happened to You', only pushed to its experimental breaking point, with its epic length giving the whole thing plenty of time to spread out and express what the band intended it to

All due respect, man.. This is just a speculative fantasy post made from nothing. A bit TMZ. If there's any band whose song titles have zero relation to song content it's the Deftones.

Vesanic

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 07, 2016, 07:04 AM

Of course it's hesperian

Guys do you even audition

ANattyRat

"I'll wear the claws if you like that, yeah if you like that we can ride on a black horse..." and then he put his heart out in "a great new wave of hispanic death horses!".

Please tell me you've been singing "Hispanic death horse" this whole time. That is so beautiful.

Quote from: RaptureWS on Feb 07, 2016, 05:07 AM
For some reason I have a feel that LMIRL will be like a "Pink Cellphone" or even a "Lucky You" style track. A filler/throwaway track. The past two albums have not had any of these tracks though so hopefully I  am wrong as I much rather have a full song of course.. I know Lucky You is a song too, but you get my point.

If the song lengths are true, then (L)MIRL is probably going to be like that, or like the intro to WGTB, the talking, with a little bit of music. I hope not. They wrote 16 songs but decide to put a less-than-two-minute song on the album? Not a good idea unless it's a magnificent less-than-two-minute song.

Shadow46/2

Wait, the song lengths are known?

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

ANattyRat

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Feb 07, 2016, 03:43 PM
Wait, the song lengths are known?

Nah, they up on Wikipedia but not confirmed. But greGORErio said the song lengths seem accurate based on his listen(s) of the album. Whether he's legit or not, who knows? But everyone said he had the flamingo pic up before we ever saw them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_%28album%29#Track_listing

nineteen

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 06, 2016, 10:13 PM

Does anyone else feel like the song rushes to get to the chorus?

Definitely. I like the song for sure but a segment before it would have been spot on.

illthrowROCKS@U

Did anyone else notice that GreGOREio all but confirmed that the 15 second instagram clip is Hearts/Wires in the other thread?
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem