Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

At the end of the day, it's about what we want. No-one here wants Adrenaline 2.0, I don't think. No-one wants a repeat of an album, even though they might want the guitars, or the vocals, or the lyrics, or the production, or whatever else, to sound like it did from a certain era. I love the self-titled album because of the darkness and the raw, gritty feel it has to it, I'd love to hear that come into play again, at least in certain elements, in certain songs, to have that vibe come through from their newer songs, over a decade later, would be awesome. Not that I want them to be on drugs or fighting or depressed in order to create those elements again. Others might want raw aggression (particularly from Chino) again, lots of screaming that sends chills down your spine, etc.

Point is, we're all fighting and whining about how much they suck now, how soft they are, or how stupid people complaining about those things are (I admit I'm guilty of this also). It's not going to stop, because disagreements can lead to arguments and insults, but no-one argues about something they don't care about. We all love this band, even if some of us think they've lost their touch or they're not what they used to be. And we're all going to be listening to that album as soon as we can, and we're all going to form our opinions.

Deftones have changed directions. They've done so basically every single album. They're still Deftones, they just don't stick to the same formula. You can adore it, you can like it, you can dislike it, you can loathe it, but keep in mind that our opinions aren't facts, they're based on what we, personally, want and expect.

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 27, 2016, 08:39 AM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 27, 2016, 02:13 AM
I don't get how the people don't always agree the "direction" the band is always going in, there is no direction

You know who disagrees with you? The lead guitarist of Deftones.

doesn't chino play lead?

TheyCallMeP

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 27, 2016, 12:08 PM
I don't get how the people don't always agree the "direction" the band is always going in, there is no direction

doesn't chino play lead?

Stop

Capt Snow

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Feb 27, 2016, 02:53 PM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 27, 2016, 12:08 PM

doesn't chino play lead?

Stop

Steph plays bass

sooniletugo

Could Phantom Bride be a cover or maybe take its name from this song? One of the big 80s new wave bands Chino probably loves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIP9cneO4WY

bewareofrats

Like someone else here recently said, I think that interview with Steph was still to create buzz.  Because it sounds like he is quite into the record now and people would know if that would be a bad move to release.  Like any publicity is good publicity or some such thing.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

sing blue silver

It's like nobody remembers this is how Steph and Chino have been since 2000. Calm the fuck down people.

bewareofrats

I'm calm. Why, who's not calm?
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

from_musings

Quote from: bewareofrats on Feb 27, 2016, 05:58 PM
Like someone else here recently said, I think that interview with Steph was still to create buzz.  Because it sounds like he is quite into the record now and people would know if that would be a bad move to release.  Like any publicity is good publicity or some such thing.

ok... but why don't more artists in music, directors/actors in movies etc, go out one month ahead of a release of theirs, and diss their work - "to create buzz"? i mean if it's such winning behavior? I guess it just means steph is a genius ahead of his time

jaypayton

saying you hate the new record is an odd way of "creating buzz"

for the record, I dont want Adrenaline 2.0...I dont need 45 year old Chino rapping over chug chug guitar riffs but I also dont want Chino crooning on every fucking song appealing to the female contingent of the fanbase (and there is a LOT of them who just want to hear  Digital Bath or Changes part 2)  Id prefer they go further out and experiment into heavier darker tones, not commercialize their music to appeal to the masses (ballads/softer songs=mainstream). if the 'tones turn into Crosses or i have to hear one more lyric about "i will watch your babies"...its truly over

and i think SNW is sick as fuck

N0S3BLEED976

You won't like the new album or anything the band will put out in the future, anyway. Quit whining about it and move on.

ANattyRat

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 27, 2016, 10:11 PM

for the record, I dont want Adrenaline 2.0...I dont need 45 year old Chino rapping over chug chug guitar riffs but I also dont want Chino crooning on every fucking song appealing to the female contingent of the fanbase (and there is a LOT of them who just want to hear  Digital Bath or Changes part 2)  Id prefer they go further out and experiment into heavier darker tones, not commercialize their music to appeal to the masses (ballads/softer songs=mainstream). if the 'tones turn into Crosses or i have to hear one more lyric about "i will watch your babies"...its truly over

Right, but his screaming isn't what it used to be either. I mean, the scream at the end of Royal is magnificent, and when he does it live, or when they were playing When Girls Telephone Boys, that was all awesome. But generally speaking, he doesn't have quite that aggressive, genuine sound to his screaming anymore. Sounds kind of forced, if that makes sense. Usually, not always. And that's OK, that's just him, it happens.

I love that darkness that they brought forth on the self-titled album, and actually, the one thing I'm disappointed that we (probably) won't get from Gore is that dark, raw vibe from that album. I don't want another version of that album, but I loved the sound to it, particularly the effect on his vocals. They don't do that now, it's quite a polished, clean feel. I've been excited about this album since forever, and that excitement ramped up a LOT when Chino was saying this album is quite dark in some places, in contrast to Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan.

I don't know, man, I get your points and now that you've explained properly instead of just calling people posers, I can see where you're coming from. But they're in a different mindset, personally and creatively, and that does affect their music. I don't think they're trying to appeal to the masses, I don't think they've ever tried to do that. I think they just love making music and want to do it in whatever way they want. Sometimes when you sound mainstream, it's just because you like the sound. Nothing everything is a conscious decision to sell out, you know?

Phantasmagoria

or i have to hear one more lyric about "i will watch your babies"...its truly over

KNY is my favorite Deftones album, but that line is an undeniable flaw and makes me cringe everytime q.q
It's like.. Chino.. You're a more intelligent lyricist than that..

NYRexall

Quote from: bewareofrats on Feb 27, 2016, 10:14 AM
Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 27, 2016, 02:35 AM
White Pony was just as mellow and different in parts as SNW and KNY, and virtually nobody has a problem with that album. But everything after S/T is the band "going soft"? LoL please
Haha, yes, this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.  It's about time someone brought this up.  People go goo goo gaa gaa over White Pony.  Old fans consider it standard, classic Deftones and whine about later albums being soft.  It is like screaming = heavy to them, but there's about the same amount of screaming and heaviness on there as SNW.  DE and KNY aren't that far behind.

DE and KNY are two of their heaviest albums. Only maybe S/T and ATF can rival or surpass them in terms of heaviness.

Poltergeist, Royal, Leathers, Diamond Eyes, Guaze, Rocket Skates, Swerve City, CMND/CTRL, Goon Squad...ffs, how heavy do people want them to be?

NYRexall

Lololololol you are ridiculous beyond belief. So Deftones ballads/softer songs = mainstream to you now?

Also, wtf is Changes? Changes is a song by David Bowie, or 2Pac, or Ozzy Osbourne.

I'm completely of the belief that you are just trolling the forum with this "KNY is so awful" bullshit. You complain there's no screaming on an album that boasts Poltergeist, Leathers and Good Squad. You think gentler stuff like WHTY and Entombed is Deftones-going-mainstream. Name me ONE band in the mainstream that has even half the artistic integrity or imagination found on a Deftones album.

Go ahead...I can't wait to hear this.

You're probably some roadie the band ditched around S/T, who's found the SL forums and wants to whine about how bad the band has ruined his life, and how their music has suffered ever since you left the fold.

Penicks

Quote from: Phantasmagoria on Feb 28, 2016, 04:13 AM
or i have to hear one more lyric about "i will watch your babies"...its truly over

KNY is my favorite Deftones album, but that line is an undeniable flaw and makes me cringe everytime q.q

it's what happens when you're not absolutely drugged out of your mind during writing

N0S3BLEED976

There are a lot of ballads and soft songs that don't cater to the masses and are certainly dark and/or experimental. So saying that "ballads/softer songs=mainstream" is just ignorant bullshit.

Reichward

Quote from: Penicks on Feb 28, 2016, 07:38 AM
Quote from: Phantasmagoria on Feb 28, 2016, 04:13 AM

it's what happens when you're not absolutely drugged out of your mind during writing

I interpret that line "I promise to watch and raise your babies", or the lyrics to Romantic Dreams in general, as the words of a creepy dude who stalks a girl. I have no idea if that's accurate but this interpretation made me like the song.

CarloDefDonno

Talking about serious stuff: any idea about when the next song is going to be released? I guess it should be time now.

Shadow46/2

My guess, March 6th

2/4 » 3/6 » 4/8

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.