Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceeslunk

Quote from: 77years on Mar 07, 2016, 02:04 AM
That lowdown bass during the bridge of Doomed User is fucking sick. The Jose Flores YT video is the best place to hear it, just thundering bass riffage, boom boom boom boom THERE, boom boom boom boom SAY GOODBYE holy fuck it is mind blowing.

Easily the best part of that track, for the next hour

no doubt. really all the clips ive heard, doomed user is fucking dope!!

Val

We better get the studio version this week.

shine down unshy

ANattyRat

Based on the few lyrics I could make it, it reminded me lyrically of Poltergeist or CMND/CTRL, that kind of arrogant or obnoxious vibe. I like this song way more than Prayers/Triangles, and I love Prayers/Triangles. Obviously they're not on equal footing since we only have a live version of Doomed User, but in terms of how it sounds, this was exactly the vibe I was hoping for on this album. Well, maybe a little more Mascara or Deathblow kind of darkness, but the sound is definitely something I'm enjoying. It's only increased my excitement by miles.

shine down unshy

Hopefully the studio version of Doomed User captures the same intensity as the live version.  Like others have said before about Poltergeist, it sounded amazeballs live, but it was lacking on the album.  In my opinion it was too slow on the album; whereas when it was played live, it was a much faster tempo.

Reichward

Quote from: shine down unshy on Mar 07, 2016, 06:09 AM
Hopefully the studio version of Doomed User captures the same intensity as the live version.  Like others have said before about Poltergeist, it sounded amazeballs live, but it was lacking on the album.  In my opinion it was too slow on the album; whereas when it was played live, it was a much faster tempo.
I try not to get used to the live version too much because of this. The actual song on the album could very well suck just like it could be awesome. I'd say I hope we get it soon, but given how lame the promotion for this album has been, I wouldn't be surprised if if only comes out in three weeks.

laurapalmer

Pains me to say it, P/T live is pretty fucking bad. Thinking its new song nerves or maybe chino is drunk.

Jesus2Chino

2 more fortnights...
Much respect,
-Matt

ANattyRat

Quote from: laurapalmer on Mar 07, 2016, 06:23 AM
Pains me to say it, P/T live is pretty fucking bad. Thinking its new song nerves or maybe chino is drunk.

Apparently he had/was recovering from pneumonia too, so probably a combination of all three, haha.

defsteve

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

mono

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 07, 2016, 08:38 AM

Apparently he had/was recovering from pneumonia too, so probably a combination of all three, haha.

pneumonia? bah, hope it´s only this and not a permanent thing about his vocal cords (again). P/T sounds horrible live (just vocal)

ANattyRat

Quote from: illmono on Mar 07, 2016, 04:02 PM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 07, 2016, 08:38 AM

pneumonia? bah, hope it´s only this and not a permanent thing about his vocal cords (again). P/T sounds horrible live (just vocal)

Sounds like it, even when he was talking his voice sounded a bit off, so probably that. Not that his voice is perfect the rest of the time, but definitely better than that.

deftoner664

I'm excited to hear that whammy bar dive Stephen does on Doomed User in the studio version. His 8 string riffs in between the verses sound great.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

E-Money

I was at the show the other night guys and I can promise u the new songs sound bad because he was sick. It was really clear that he wasn't feeling well. The last time I saw them In Ventura on Halloween his voice sounded so great . Was really excited for Saturday night but whatever. If he's sick then nothing he can do about it. But yes prayers made me cringe... Hope he gets better soon. They shoud have waited to play new stuff in my opinion. Especially with him sick. I can understand trying prayers but it's a tough song to sing. And Steph is responsible for the guitar intro. I always thought that was chino but nope.

deftoner664

Quote from: E-Money on Mar 07, 2016, 06:06 PM
And Steph is responsible for the guitar intro. I always thought that was chino but nope.

I thought the same too, thanks for sharing that.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

guizz

yes, the verse chords sounded so Chino like... But at the same time, Steph came up with intros like Fist in the past. He does melodic shit too.

E-Money

Quote from: guizz on Mar 07, 2016, 06:17 PM
yes, the verse chords sounded so Chino like... But at the same time, Steph came up with intros like Fist in the past. He does melodic shit too.

True but I really thought this one would be chino. Reminds me of the sextape intro and rosemary. Chino did not play the guitar part in the 3rd chorus either during the show. I think that guitar part should have gone throughout the whole song.

ANattyRat

Quote from: E-Money on Mar 07, 2016, 06:06 PM
I was at the show the other night guys and I can promise u the new songs sound bad because he was sick. It was really clear that he wasn't feeling well. The last time I saw them In Ventura on Halloween his voice sounded so great . Was really excited for Saturday night but whatever. If he's sick then nothing he can do about it. But yes prayers made me cringe... Hope he gets better soon. They shoud have waited to play new stuff in my opinion. Especially with him sick. I can understand trying prayers but it's a tough song to sing. And Steph is responsible for the guitar intro. I always thought that was chino but nope.

That's good to hear. Not good he was sick, haha, but good that it seems to be the reason for the vocals not being their best. Maybe they should've waited, but you know we all would've complained like crazy if they didn't at least play Prayers/Triangles. He tried his best with what he was dealing with, and at the very least, it's got us excited for the album and how the songs sound on that, and excited for upcoming shows when they've had more time to practice and Chino's hopefully fully recovered.

defTHE1s

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 26, 2016, 07:26 PM
A couple quick points I want to make:

1. Yeah, there's just no way DE and KNY are their heaviest records. That's clearly Adrenaline and ATF. Why? Almost every song on those two albums has pummeling riffs and Chino screaming his head off for extended periods of time.

2. I also wouldn't say S/T is their heaviest album. However, I would say it's one of their darker records, along with White Pony. To me, there is a difference between a dark sound and a heavy sound.

3. V, I agree with you that KNY is the least of their albums and definitely has something missing, but can we put all the blame on Chino? Maybe some, but we also have to look at Steph for coming up with a lot of bland and uninspired riffs. I mean, he's pretty much even admitting he doesn't care about getting better and he didn't want to play on Gore.
I only blame Stef by switchin' to 7 & 8 strings and doing pretty basic stuff that he could do just using a baritone 6 string easily.
The only album using 7 strings that is worth (guitar wise talking) or that he put a little more effort and creativity was S/T and the SNW demos (Ezrin Sessions).
For all the rest, the riffs are pretty basic always and it's obvious he doesn't take full advantage of the range of tones those new guitars are capable of.
And note that this is only my opinion.
Maybe Chino wen't too mainstream, did Crosses and all that (happy / hipster, name it what you want) stuff, but he also inconsciously was being left behind, as he said in a recent interview, by his quest on finding "the perfect sound" instead of focusing on new ideas on guitar playing.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

pelican fly

Hope we get a new song tomorrow.