Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2MoreHours

Quote from: defTHE1s on Mar 07, 2016, 10:35 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 26, 2016, 07:26 PM
A couple quick points I want to make:

1. Yeah, there's just no way DE and KNY are their heaviest records. That's clearly Adrenaline and ATF. Why? Almost every song on those two albums has pummeling riffs and Chino screaming his head off for extended periods of time.

2. I also wouldn't say S/T is their heaviest album. However, I would say it's one of their darker records, along with White Pony. To me, there is a difference between a dark sound and a heavy sound.

3. V, I agree with you that KNY is the least of their albums and definitely has something missing, but can we put all the blame on Chino? Maybe some, but we also have to look at Steph for coming up with a lot of bland and uninspired riffs. I mean, he's pretty much even admitting he doesn't care about getting better and he didn't want to play on Gore.
I only blame Stef by switchin' to 7 & 8 strings and doing pretty basic stuff that he could do just using a baritone 6 string easily.
The only album using 7 strings that is worth (guitar wise talking) or that he put a little more effort and creativity was S/T and the SNW demos (Ezrin Sessions).
For all the rest, the riffs are pretty basic always and it's obvious he doesn't take full advantage of the range of tones those new guitars are capable of.
And note that this is only my opinion.
Maybe Chino wen't too mainstream, did Crosses and all that (happy / hipster, name it what you want) stuff, but he also inconsciously was being left behind, as he said in a recent interview, by his quest on finding "the perfect sound" instead of focusing on new ideas on guitar playing.

When S/T first came out, I was excited about hearing the stuff with the 7 strings but the more albums they keep putting out, the less I like it.  There are some cool moments with the lower notes but it seems kind of played out now.  I'd like for Stef to go back to 6 strings like the first 3 albums.  They are heavy as hell without having to be so low tuned.  I do like an occasional low tuned moment like Rats but sometimes it's over-done.

RavinVsFlud

3 points:

1) would you rather they cancel the show due to chino being sick and disappoint all of the fans that bought tickets, waited to see them for however long and then showed up at the venue?

2) would you rather we not get a chance to hear a new track from them and then complain that the set list is too predictable blah blah blah?

3) would you rather that the style of their music not evolve with the opportunity to evolve into something else past the current sound? Or just keep trying to recapture the same (fill in the blank album here), in a lack luster manner?

LG95

Better to make the setlist predictable than put in a mediocre performance of two new songs, especially Doomed User given it's the first time people would be hearing the song.
I could float here forever

sharinglungs

Anyone know how long it was from when they played Rosemary live to when we got the official song online?

deftoner664

They played Rosemary in September 2012... It was very late October till rosemary came out..I think it was when the album leaked or someone ripped the cassette with leathers and rosemary on it that they were selling at the merch booths during the tour before KNY leaked.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

ANattyRat

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 08, 2016, 12:13 AM
Better to make the setlist predictable than put in a mediocre performance of two new songs, especially Doomed User given it's the first time people would be hearing the song.

You say that, but someone posted a pic of the setlist (evidently the wrong setlist) containing the usual songs, and already people were complaining. Before the show even freaking started, basically. If people judge a song or an album based on how it sounds live, especially when it comes to Chino's vocals, then they're being silly. I am extra excited for this album after hearing Doomed User, and it's satiated my impatience a bit, which is nice. If it doesn't hype someone up because the audio quality isn't that good, or because Chino's vocals aren't their best, or because they simply don't like how the song sounds, that's fair enough, but it isn't supposed to be a declaration that the album is going to sound exactly like that performance. So yeah, it's the first time they've played it, which holds some weight, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. There will be many more performances.

defTHE1s

Quote from: laurapalmer on Mar 07, 2016, 06:23 AM
Pains me to say it, P/T live is pretty fucking bad. Thinking its new song nerves or maybe chino is drunk.
He was suffering a cold or something like that, but yeah, if he knew he was like that, he could have preserved the moment and play the new songs later when he feels less bad.
Yeah. P/T was painful to hear.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: defTHE1s on Mar 08, 2016, 07:32 PM
Pains me to say it, P/T live is pretty fucking bad. Thinking its new song nerves or maybe chino is drunk.
He was suffering a cold or something like that, but yeah, if he knew he was like that, he could have preserved the moment and play the new songs later when he feels less bad.

Give it some time. Subsequent live performances of say Poltergeist also got way better later on

defTHE1s

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 08, 2016, 07:36 PM
Quote from: defTHE1s on Mar 08, 2016, 07:32 PM

Give it some time. Subsequent live performances of say Poltergeist also got way better later on
Yeah, I know (and hope) that, but he could go easy with the setlist and try to play them (new songs) when he was already recovered.

And to complement with this:
Quote from: RavinVsFlud on Mar 08, 2016, 12:02 AM
3 points:

1) would you rather they cancel the show due to chino being sick and disappoint all of the fans that bought tickets, waited to see them for however long and then showed up at the venue?

2) would you rather we not get a chance to hear a new track from them and then complain that the set list is too predictable blah blah blah?

3) would you rather that the style of their music not evolve with the opportunity to evolve into something else past the current sound? Or just keep trying to recapture the same (fill in the blank album here), in a lack luster manner?

I would prefer them playing setlist with no new songs. Of course, hearing the rest of the songs played we could tell that he wasn't good to sing, so it would have been pretty understandable. At least, I won't mind if they would have left new songs to play later.
Btw, haven't heard another songs played then, were they good? How about Hexagram?

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

King Leer

*Sighs*

Sharing Lungs: The land of "Nitpickers"

illthrowROCKS@U

I love that they did the new songs, sick and all.  Sometimes the guys can't win!  Who cares if he was a bit off, I'm sure it was a fucking blast for the people there anyway.  We got a new song, lets just enjoy it.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

sharinglungs

30 days til the album

Lucky_Me

LOL I'm so going to show up dressed up as Martin Gore for the Milano show. 8)

I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan and I know Deftones are too, so I think it's time to dye my hair blonde, to blow the dust off my faux-latex black dress and to surprise them with a surprise celebrity visit. ;)
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

defsteve

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 09, 2016, 11:31 AM

I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan and I know Deftones are too, so I think it's time to dye my hair blonde, to blow the dust off my faux-latex black dress and to surprise them with a surprise celebrity visit. ;)

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

Lucky_Me

He may not be young and pretty anymore, but he'll always be my hero. <3 As long as he keeps his amazing voice and that cute laugh, I'll be glad to honor him with a sexy, female, 100% wrinkle-free female tribute. :)

Yoi Yes Kokan

Vesanic

Lucky_Me

Martin does have a unique style, yes, but I like that about him. :)

Also, thank you for the link. I didn't know that song yet, but it's awesome. I love Depeche Mode! <3

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 09, 2016, 11:31 AM

Ummm... can you surprise me like that too?!
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Lucky_Me

If I wouldn't always come up with such insane surprises, being a Deftones fan wouldn't have been half as much fun for me. ;) I'd never miss an opportunity to make a fool out of myself and enjoy it. I'm sure the members themselves find me fun and bold, so my habit tends to get me into a lot of surprisingly awesome situations, with artists in general actually. :)

People around me can think I'm the Queen of England, but as long as we're all having a good time together, I love to pop up as a 'surprise celebrity' and steal the show. 8) It's really funny, so why bother the haters? The lovers are going to love it anyway.