Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvthedrv

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 30, 2016, 11:35 PM
sorry that imposting this review again, but i spent the last 20 minutes trying to sort out anytranslation errors to make it more readable. there are some interesting new facts, however. There is much more screaming than on Koi No Yokan and the title track is supposed to be super heavy.

The law of averages

Microsoft operating systems and Deftones albums have one thing in common: Lovers and less beloved releases alternate in history from. Since their magnum opus "White pony" in 2000, the Californian metallers met, especially with the experimentally broad "Saturday night wrist" and the self-contained "Koi No Yokan", the largest reciprocated love. But that should not be forgotten that the valleys inbetween said comparison show significant height differences: "Deftones" and "Diamond Eyes" were anything but black sheep in their discography, but rather more conventional, song oriented albums, leaving less impression than before. If disasters such as Windows Millennium Edition or even Vista were music albums, would be the equivalent of probably something of this quality. An uneasy sign yet for "Gore", the now eighth Deftones album, but all those things are of course ignored for purpose of impartiality.

Chino Moreno shouts again significantly more than on the overall quite restrained predecessor and particularly the quartet at the beginning of the album accumulate the metallic colored sounds. The harbingers "Prayers / Triangles" and "Doomed user" let words like "solid" or "routine" come to mind. In particular the first mentioned song is a very strange choice as an opener and would have made a much better figure in the middle of the album. However, Deftones were never a band who reinvented themselves on every album. The sound was always perfected in detail, tectonic shifts instead of sound renovation was and still is the motto. But "Gore" makes it harder than any predecessor and constantly side-steps in terms of songwriting. Although the four opening songs are ultimately convincing: A catchy entry into the album is missing, offering neither an immediate sledgehammer like "Rocket Skates", nor a smooth chorus in the likes of "Tempest". Hits? None.

From "Hearts / Wires" the approach softens slightly, the band leaves more melodies to their ever-present, atmospheric side comes to the forefront, but without becoming tangible. Unusual, but very well done are the decent hard rock riffs in "Pittura infamante" - including "Uhh" - and "Ahh" -chants that are discreetly placed in the background. For even more exoticism, the guest appearance by Alice-in-Chains-mate Jerry Cantrell on the albums semifinal "phantom bride" proves that even a guitar solo can fit wonderfully into the Deftones sound. A soothing moment after the uncompromising, complex title track, that leaves you burning with Abe Cunningham's inventive drum beat and Moreno's earth-shattering roar.

It is easier with each listen to like their newest child, if you gradually unravel the tangled threads and find out that especially after the epic (L)MIRL, every following song is superb. The sound is proven, the songwriting top notch - and yet can not deny that the great enthusiasm this time fails. A damn good album it has become, only missing the last shot of genius, which accounts for their previous masterpieces. From the experiments - so it is rumored - to have taken place in the studio, few signs are prevalent on the final product. That "Gore" could be described as their weakest effort in the past 20 years only further proves their consistent high-quality output. "Gore" is therefore an update, which brings change in small ways and should completely satisfy their fanbase. It's like whining about first-world problems, though. Damn law of averages.
7/10

this review is awful as fuck

pinata89

Quote from: cvthedrv on Mar 31, 2016, 02:25 AM
Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 30, 2016, 11:35 PM
sorry that imposting this review again, but i spent the last 20 minutes trying to sort out anytranslation errors to make it more readable. there are some interesting new facts, however. There is much more screaming than on Koi No Yokan and the title track is supposed to be super heavy.

The law of averages

Microsoft operating systems and Deftones albums have one thing in common: Lovers and less beloved releases alternate in history from. Since their magnum opus "White pony" in 2000, the Californian metallers met, especially with the experimentally broad "Saturday night wrist" and the self-contained "Koi No Yokan", the largest reciprocated love. But that should not be forgotten that the valleys inbetween said comparison show significant height differences: "Deftones" and "Diamond Eyes" were anything but black sheep in their discography, but rather more conventional, song oriented albums, leaving less impression than before. If disasters such as Windows Millennium Edition or even Vista were music albums, would be the equivalent of probably something of this quality. An uneasy sign yet for "Gore", the now eighth Deftones album, but all those things are of course ignored for purpose of impartiality.

Chino Moreno shouts again significantly more than on the overall quite restrained predecessor and particularly the quartet at the beginning of the album accumulate the metallic colored sounds. The harbingers "Prayers / Triangles" and "Doomed user" let words like "solid" or "routine" come to mind. In particular the first mentioned song is a very strange choice as an opener and would have made a much better figure in the middle of the album. However, Deftones were never a band who reinvented themselves on every album. The sound was always perfected in detail, tectonic shifts instead of sound renovation was and still is the motto. But "Gore" makes it harder than any predecessor and constantly side-steps in terms of songwriting. Although the four opening songs are ultimately convincing: A catchy entry into the album is missing, offering neither an immediate sledgehammer like "Rocket Skates", nor a smooth chorus in the likes of "Tempest". Hits? None.

From "Hearts / Wires" the approach softens slightly, the band leaves more melodies to their ever-present, atmospheric side comes to the forefront, but without becoming tangible. Unusual, but very well done are the decent hard rock riffs in "Pittura infamante" - including "Uhh" - and "Ahh" -chants that are discreetly placed in the background. For even more exoticism, the guest appearance by Alice-in-Chains-mate Jerry Cantrell on the albums semifinal "phantom bride" proves that even a guitar solo can fit wonderfully into the Deftones sound. A soothing moment after the uncompromising, complex title track, that leaves you burning with Abe Cunningham's inventive drum beat and Moreno's earth-shattering roar.

It is easier with each listen to like their newest child, if you gradually unravel the tangled threads and find out that especially after the epic (L)MIRL, every following song is superb. The sound is proven, the songwriting top notch - and yet can not deny that the great enthusiasm this time fails. A damn good album it has become, only missing the last shot of genius, which accounts for their previous masterpieces. From the experiments - so it is rumored - to have taken place in the studio, few signs are prevalent on the final product. That "Gore" could be described as their weakest effort in the past 20 years only further proves their consistent high-quality output. "Gore" is therefore an update, which brings change in small ways and should completely satisfy their fanbase. It's like whining about first-world problems, though. Damn law of averages.
7/10

this review is awful as fuck

I agree. No need to try to correlate Deftones albums with Windows OS's lol. Must be the only way they can link the world of music with the native entity of technology. 😛

guizz

I prefer Diamond eyes over Koy, and S/T over SNW so i don't trust this guy's opinion

pinata89

Quote from: guizz on Mar 31, 2016, 02:30 AM
I prefer Diamond eyes over Koy, and S/T over SNW so i don't trust this guy's opinion

S/T is my absolute favorite. May be an unpopular choice, but it's a staple in the Deftones catalog in my opinion. DE and KNY seem calculated and disenchanted. I like SNW too, but not as naked and abrasive as S/T.

gwenudo

Quote from: pinata89 on Mar 31, 2016, 02:17 AM
Ditto. Also, TapATalk is the shit. I've never been as involved in the chatter as I am now. Everyone go download the app!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried using it but couldnt get into it. Its a complete cluster fuck honestly. I like to come in to sharinglungs and see all the posts and pinned posts in one section and see which one has a new sticky on it so i can see whats new on it.. Taptalk is like a wanna be failure version of Facebook.. If im doing something wrong though let me know, but ive tried to change many settings before and i just cant.
Was it like it seemed?...

Lurid Vega

I am trying it, there is a like button..

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

gwenudo

Its actually not bad now that i found the "following" tab .. Ill use it for a bit and see what i think.

pinata89

Quote from: gwenudo666 on Mar 31, 2016, 02:57 AM
Its actually not bad now that i found the "following" tab .. Ill use it for a bit and see what i think.

Yeah. If you subscribe to certain threads you want notifications for, it helps quite a bit.

gwenudo

Quote from: pinata89 on Mar 31, 2016, 02:58 AM
Quote from: gwenudo666 on Mar 31, 2016, 02:57 AM

Yeah. If you subscribe to certain threads you want notifications for, it helps quite a bit.
Yea i see that, got a notification saying you replied to me.. Not bad.. Just took a little bit of searching

77years

Xenon won't leave me alone

shoop

That 20 sec clip did nothing for me personally. Did somehow remind me a bit of this Converge song though ! No longer available

2MoreHours

Quote from: pinata89 on Mar 31, 2016, 02:33 AM
Quote from: guizz on Mar 31, 2016, 02:30 AM

S/T is my absolute favorite. May be an unpopular choice, but it's a staple in the Deftones catalog in my opinion. DE and KNY seem calculated and disenchanted. I like SNW too, but not as naked and abrasive as S/T.

I'm not big on DE or KNY either.  My favorites are White Pony and SNW.  S/T is probably 4th for me after ATF. 

Berserker_Armor

Diamond is good but a little simple. The songs mostly follow the same structure all the way through. It's kind of Deftones at their most radio friendly. I happen to really enjoy the album though. I only skip the second half of Rocket Skates.

Not sure why so many people have a problem with Koi, unless that it's too clean. I like it a lot as well, can play all the way through.

With that said, I grew up with ATF through S/T so anything closer to those in tone is welcomed.

Aside from a few tracks, I don't like SNW. I haven't listened to that all the way through since it was new.

Guess my point is, Gore has the potential to be my favorite since ST.

cvthedrv

2 less hours.

ANattyRat

Quote from: sharinglungs on Mar 30, 2016, 09:01 PM
20 seconds ish of Xenon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxtMjApByzg

Wow, that clip is brilliant, the drums sound amazing and Chino's voice sounds a little (don't get angry, I said a LITTLE) like from Around the Fur or self-titled. I don't mean the vocals, more the kind of effect on them. Not as clean and polished and 'perfect' sounding.

Ugh, I'm sorry but I need to hear this. Everything about this album sounds like it's going to be the incredible.

2MoreHours

Quote from: Berserker_Armor on Mar 31, 2016, 03:46 AM

Aside from a few tracks, I don't like SNW. I haven't listened to that all the way through since it was new.

It's weird how people either love or hate that album.  There really doesn't seem to be much middle ground with it.  As far as DE and KNY go, I definitely don't hate them.  They just are down the totem pole for me.  Chino's singing doesn't sound as good to me on those albums and KNY is just uninspiring to me from a guitar player's perspective.  It just sounds kind of lazy and typical to me.  That said, it's a Deftones album and still good stuff that I listen to on the reg.

plagasx

I can't take it anymore.. This is worse than having blue balls.

Berserker_Armor

Berserker_Armor

Quote from: Berserker_Armor on Mar 31, 2016, 04:09 AM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 31, 2016, 04:02 AM
Quote from: Berserker_Armor link=topic=20772.msg828643#msg828643 date=1459395

/quote]

It's weird how people either love or hate that album.  There really doesn't seem to be much middle ground with it.  As far as DE and KNY go, I definitely don't hate them.  They just are down the totem pole for me.  Chino's singing doesn't sound as good to me on those albums and KNY is just uninspiring to me from a guitar player's perspective.  It just sounds kind of lazy and typical to me.  That said, it's a Deftones album and still good stuff that I listen to on the reg.

I read/heard Deftones fans are split between pre SNW, and post... with post being a new"generation"
I'm not sure how accurate that is but a lot of the time, a person's first exposure to music tends to be their favorite. So, if SNW was someone's first taste of Deftones, I could see how they would enjoy it.

This is just a theory though. I know long time fans like SNW too.

seasick

I finally stopped being lazy long enough to get my password changed so I could actually log in! Hooray! Xenon the Xequel has me pumped. Those drums are sounding fantastic. Also I think I like Doomed User better than Prayers now. Also SNW is the shit.