Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedomsoldier17

do any of you think xenon may have some relation to xerces? i dunno, they're both the 7th track on their respective albums and stuff

pinata89

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Mar 31, 2016, 04:13 AM
do any of you think xenon may have some relation to xerces? i dunno, they're both the 7th track on their respective albums and stuff

Man, we're getting way too deep here lol.

2MoreHours

Quote from: Berserker_Armor on Mar 31, 2016, 04:10 AM
Quote from: Berserker_Armor on Mar 31, 2016, 04:09 AM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 31, 2016, 04:02 AM
Quote from: Berserker_Armor link=topic=20772.msg828643#msg828643 date=1459395

/quote]

It's weird how people either love or hate that album.  There really doesn't seem to be much middle ground with it.  As far as DE and KNY go, I definitely don't hate them.  They just are down the totem pole for me.  Chino's singing doesn't sound as good to me on those albums and KNY is just uninspiring to me from a guitar player's perspective.  It just sounds kind of lazy and typical to me.  That said, it's a Deftones album and still good stuff that I listen to on the reg.

I read/heard Deftones fans are split between pre SNW, and post... with post being a new"generation"
I'm not sure how accurate that is but a lot of the time, a person's first exposure to music tends to be their favorite. So, if SNW was someone's first taste of Deftones, I could see how they would enjoy it.

This is just a theory though. I know long time fans like SNW too.

I'm actually a long-time fan.  I got into Deftones during ATF.  I do see what you are saying though.  I've kind of noticed the same from different generations of fans.

Entombed

Quote from: pinata89 on Mar 31, 2016, 04:22 AM

I was looking to deep into Prince/RX Queen back when Diamond Eyes came out.
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

pinata89

Quote from: Entombed on Mar 31, 2016, 04:28 AM
Quote from: pinata89 on Mar 31, 2016, 04:22 AM

I was looking to deep into Prince/RX Queen back when Diamond Eyes came out.

Prince and Rx Queen are the same song, inmy opinion.

Entombed

They certainly sound like they're related, but I haven't dug deeper to find any sort of insane theory to mix the two.

pinata89

Quote from: Entombed on Mar 31, 2016, 04:36 AM
They certainly sound like they're related, but I haven't dug deeper to find any sort of insane theory to mix the two.

Rhythm is pretty much the same, structure is close too. Just to identical for me, maybe giving me the sour taste I have for DE.

Entombed

Quote from: pinata89 on Mar 31, 2016, 04:39 AM
Quote from: Entombed on Mar 31, 2016, 04:36 AM

Rhythm is pretty much the same, structure is close too. Just to identical for me, maybe giving me the sour taste I have for DE.

In some ways, I felt that Diamond Eyes was heavily influenced by White Pony. There were hints of creative progress, but I like how it sounds more than I truly appreciate the material itself.

ANattyRat

Course not. Not every 7th track is related. And hell, they only came up with the name when Chino was reminded of the game or whatever.

phil for real

More comments from that guy from absolutepunk who has the album.  Some are similar to what he already said, but a few more tidbits.

Hearts/Wires is a standout

(L)MIRL is creepy and I like it

it's a slow burn type of album

the title track is fucking killer

the LP is very interesting - super chill vibes combined with the necessary heaviness - hard to compare it to any previous work

Phantom Bride has some really cool synth underneath and is one of the prettier songs on the record

yeah Phantom Bride may be the best track on this thing

fuck man the Side B of this record is massive - (L)MIRL into Gore into Phantom Bride into Rubicon is one of the band's best stretches of songs ever

plagasx

STAHHPPPP I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE.

phil for real

I know man.  I need this album right now. 

BallZDeeP

Im going to bed. Someone keep me posted

Far away

So many positive reviews, I wonder what if most of us in here hate it. Lol...

Not trying to be negative, just thinking about it. Last time I got that hyped about a Deftones album, I ended up a little disappointed, so...trying to keep it cool, altho that Hearts/wires intro is not helping, at all.

ANattyRat

Quote from: Far away on Mar 31, 2016, 11:20 AM

Not trying to be negative, just thinking about it. Last time I got that hyped about a Deftones album, I ended up a little disappointed, so...

There's a lot of hype about all of their albums before they're released. I don't think most people here 'hate' any of their albums. There are least favourites, disappointments, etc., but not a lot of hates. The fact that it has positive reviews isn't a certainty that the album will be as brilliant for everyone as it seems like it, but the descriptions, the songs, the clips we've heard, are definitely good indications that it'll be, at the very least, a refreshing change from the last couple of albums.

Far away

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 31, 2016, 11:24 AM

Not trying to be negative, just thinking about it. Last time I got that hyped about a Deftones album, I ended up a little disappointed, so...

There's a lot of hype about all of their albums before they're released. I don't think most people here 'hate' any of their albums. There are least favourites, disappointments, etc., but not a lot of hates. The fact that it has positive reviews isn't a certainty that the album will be as brilliant for everyone as it seems like it, but the descriptions, the songs, the clips we've heard, are definitely good indications that it'll be, at the very least, a refreshing change from the last couple of albums.

Yeah, I know. I was just wondering. It'd be a little awkward to say the least. Seems like this one (according to reviews) will be on point, though.
I got excited about SNW, and... the rest, well... let's say i wouldnt mind if that record didnt exist. (Kimdracula, Riviere, wouldnt be known, but... oh well)

mono

Quote from: phil for real on Mar 31, 2016, 05:28 AM
More comments from that guy from absolutepunk who has the album.  Some are similar to what he already said, but a few more tidbits.

Hearts/Wires is a standout

(L)MIRL is creepy and I like it

it's a slow burn type of album

the title track is fucking killer

the LP is very interesting - super chill vibes combined with the necessary heaviness - hard to compare it to any previous work

Phantom Bride has some really cool synth underneath and is one of the prettier songs on the record

yeah Phantom Bride may be the best track on this thing

fuck man the Side B of this record is massive - (L)MIRL into Gore into Phantom Bride into Rubicon is one of the band's best stretches of songs ever

finally, we are on deadline!

2MoreHours

Not trying to be negative, just thinking about it. Last time I got that hyped about a Deftones album, I ended up a little disappointed, so...trying to keep it cool, altho that Hearts/wires intro is not helping, at all.

I feel you.  I remember the hype for KNY and in some ways, it was justified.  However, it just wasn't really a special album to me.  It had it's moments though.

snw9

The storm is approaching, 8 more days..
Code: [Select]

snw9

Quote from: snw9 on Mar 31, 2016, 01:46 PM
The storm is approaching, 4 x 2 days = 8
Code: [Select]