Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil for real

This album is absolutely incredible.  Hearts/Wires, LMIRL, Phantom Bride, Acid Hologram, Rubicon, omg

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: RaptureWS on Apr 03, 2016, 09:04 AM
Quote from: BZA on Apr 03, 2016, 09:02 AM
Quote from: Deft_ones on Apr 03, 2016, 08:51 AM
I won't bother asking for a link, but may I ask one of you about (L)MIRL? Been super curious about that song because of reviews for awhile now.

(L)MIRL isn't as heavy as I thought I read it was... Low droning guitar and it is heavy and slow... I guess I was expecting straight up metal, but it's really not... Gore is a heavier, harder, faster track IMO... but I do like it a LOT, it's really catchy.

I haven't listened to a lot of Failure/HUM but if I recall their sound correctly, then fans of those bands will ADORE LMIRL. For those that have heard it, am I on point with that?
elements of the guitar sound yeah but structurally weirder than those bands which have a more straight forward tone to their songs

chuckles

PM please  ;)
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

Inkblades

Gonna hold out for that 320, but how's Geometric and Pittura?

Vesanic

Instrumentally, I think Rubicon is kinda HUM-ish.

phil for real

A lot of weird timings on this album.  This is amazing.  This is well worth the wait. 

Substance Abuse

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 03, 2016, 09:05 AM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 03, 2016, 09:01 AM
That's interesting, people say it doesn't sound like NIN? To me it sounds exactly like what you'd expect. I don't mean predictable, just that it's more of an expansion than going off in a different sound.

I think it turned a lot of people off because it wasn't a heavy album in the way Downward Spiral and With Teeth were. It does sound very simplistic compared to his other stuff; the devil is in the details though. He's getting older and can't be expected to destroy himself nightly like he did in his 20s and 30s. I've been a big fan of his film score stuff, so it was an easy transition to what he was going for with HM

NIN still puts on an amazing live show. I saw them last August. Best concert I've ever been to overall. They and Soundgarden were awesome.

I saw the Deftones in '09 at a general admission 900 capacity venue... The whole thing was a like a huge mosh pit. They played 'Melanie' at that show. One of my favorite moments.

Deft_ones

If any of you wouldn't mind sharing it with a newbie I would be forever grateful. But I don't want to bother anybody. I'll be up for awhile reading what you guys say about the album. I'm just glad it's close lol.

RaptureWS

Quote from: Deft_ones on Apr 03, 2016, 09:04 AM
Hearts/Wires live up to the hype?

The softer Deftones songs always take a bit to grow on me. It didn't blow me away like Geometric and Pittura but if you like their softer vibing songs then H/W just may be one of your new fav songs. So overall, yes. Just not QUITE for me...yet.

Geometric Headdress though boys. IDK what a Geometric Headdress is but I want one now!
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

NYRexall

Quote from: Substance Abuse on Apr 03, 2016, 09:04 AM
My issue with Hesitation Marks is that despite Trent attempting to recreate a much more uptempo Pretty Hate Machine, the album featured too many of the familiar sounds that Trent used on Year Zero. It had a very lap-topish, pro-toolish feel and I missed where he was going with replicating those drum fills and beats on the Slip that sounded so genuine. I really enjoyed a lot of that record. It was good, not great, in my opinion. Some of those songs reminded me of 'With Teeth' too.

And I'm pissed because Bleed Through had better leaked artwork.

I'm just bitter, lol.

Weird..I never felt like he was trying to replicate PHM with Hes. Marks, and it didn't sound like Year Zero to me at all. But again, Trent is my absolute favorite and will never do any wrong in my eyes. My fandom for anything he does is unwavering, just like with Chino. So I'm incredibly biased, lol

phil for real

I def see the Fleetwood Mac influence Chino was talking about on Hearts/Wires.  This song is phenomenal.

BZA

Quote from: RaptureWS on Apr 03, 2016, 09:04 AM
Quote from: BZA on Apr 03, 2016, 09:02 AM
Quote from: Deft_ones on Apr 03, 2016, 08:51 AM
I won't bother asking for a link, but may I ask one of you about (L)MIRL? Been super curious about that song because of reviews for awhile now.

(L)MIRL isn't as heavy as I thought I read it was... Low droning guitar and it is heavy and slow... I guess I was expecting straight up metal, but it's really not... Gore is a heavier, harder, faster track IMO... but I do like it a LOT, it's really catchy.

I haven't listened to a lot of Failure/HUM but if I recall their sound correctly, then fans of those bands will ADORE LMIRL. For those that have heard it, am I on point with that?

It actually reminds me of A Perfect Circle... talented dark rock.

NYRexall

Quote from: RaptureWS on Apr 03, 2016, 09:08 AM

The softer Deftones songs always take a bit to grow on me. It didn't blow me away like Geometric and Pittura but if you like their softer vibing songs then H/W just may be one of your new fav songs. So overall, yes. Just not QUITE for me...yet.

Geometric Headdress though boys. IDK what a Geometric Headdress is but I want one now!

What's so great about Pittura? And how would you say H/W stacks up to, say, Entombed or Sextape?

GR1X7S

I have the numbered 180 gram pre orderd but damn I would love to hear the album right now. I have loved every track so far... really loving the different approach to song structures and the experimentation on this album. It's awesome that even on their 8th album they're still finding ways to push their sound and style in new ways. 

phil for real

LMIRL almost has a 70's vibe in parts.  The chorus is wow.

SCUM

hmmm..think that 320 might be here sooner than i think..

NYRexall

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 03, 2016, 09:07 AM
Instrumentally, I think Rubicon is kinda HUM-ish.

Whoa. WHOA. Do NOT jerk me off like this, V...

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 03, 2016, 09:07 AM
Gonna hold out for that 320, but how's Geometric and Pittura?
All the songs are good, Geometric effortlessly shifts being frantic and a smooth swooning, Pittura is odd sounding for Deftones constant higher range guitar riffs a bit like mein, almost scottish sounding with the drums at some stages.

GR1X7S

Do tell...

Vesanic

Quote from: SCUM on Apr 03, 2016, 09:11 AM
hmmm..think that 320 might be here sooner than i think..

Honestly I'm expecting it any minute. Still not figuring out how it's not out yet.