Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Substance Abuse

Quote from: pelican fly on Apr 03, 2016, 09:45 PM
Quote from: Entombed on Apr 03, 2016, 09:42 PM
and how much the album appears to be lacking the "Stephen feel."

really?

I don't agree. There are songs that have the 'Stephen feel', and there are some songs that are much different than a S/T wall of sound type song. It seems like the 'Stephen feel' songs are 'Doomed User' and 'Gore'. This is a very diverse and eclectic record. It seems like it's truly a collaborative album. It's a cohesive package despite the songs being so different because it feels Deftones, IMO.

Freedomsoldier17

and so my listening journey begins

see you people in an hour :)

Reichward

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 03, 2016, 09:35 PM
That (L)MIRL intro just keeps fucking haunting me .. Like goddammit .. I knew this album was going to be killer but i didnt expect to orgasm this much without ejaculating
Quote from: Longstem on Apr 03, 2016, 09:44 PM
Hearts/Wires on repeat this evening.
There was my life before this song.
and
There is my life after.
Quote from: 77years on Apr 03, 2016, 09:46 PM
Fuuuuuck me LMIRL.

That track is global thermonuclear war

I think I'm gonna do a best of of the reactions to this album.

Entombed

really?

Yup. His guitar is there, it's down tuned, but it feels/sounds uninspired to me. Trust me, I want to love it, but I just don't. Phantom Bride is probably the most solid song IMO and it doesn't really sound much like the Deftones.
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

DFTNSHXGRM

yoooou waste your liiiiife, trapped in your void - where you will stay, always.

ominousnimbus

The second half is absolutely stronger. I don't think it's so much that it sounds like two albums, though - "Acid Hologram" and even "Geometric Headdress" would also fit alongside a lot of the later songs.

More than anything, it's just that "P/T" and "Doomed User" are really weak relative to the rest of the album. My initial impression is that the record would be stronger if DU were simply left out and we had 10 tracks. Probably the worst pair of lead singles (in terms of how they compare with the rest of the tracks) I can remember. They're clearly the worst two songs here, IMO.

But yeah, I'm already getting the temptation to just start with "Xenon" sometimes. That 5-track stretch may end up among the strongest in their catalog.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 03, 2016, 09:33 PM
lets be real. if Chino did an entire album with justin bieber you would jack off to it claiming its the greatest thing you ever heard,....you're not exactly objective

Oh, how much I've missed your posts you fucking moron

deftonesluvrbrazil

Quote from: pelican fly on Apr 03, 2016, 09:39 PM
Quote from: Entombed on Apr 03, 2016, 09:37 PM
Has anyone straight up disliked the album yet?

naw

they shouldn't. this a better record than the last 2.

I feel disappointed, i was expecting something better honestly, it doesn't beat DI, KNY nor SNW in my opinion.

DFTNSHXGRM

This album has bits and pieces of their last 4 albums, thrown into a blender. That's what Gore sort of reminds me of. It's a little bit of everything that I love about them. It even has some ATF vibes in Geometric Headdress. Has a lot of Self-Titled vibes as well. Its not just the excitment, but I really really love their new sound. The album has a very "personal" or "sentimental" vibe with the lyrics.. You can tell they spent a LOT of time on this record. It paid off.

CarloDefDonno

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Apr 03, 2016, 09:51 PM
Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 03, 2016, 09:33 PM
lets be real. if Chino did an entire album with justin bieber you would jack off to it claiming its the greatest thing you ever heard,....you're not exactly objective

Oh, how much I've missed your posts you fucking moron

He's back

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: deftonesluvrbrazil on Apr 03, 2016, 09:53 PM

naw

I feel disappointed, i was expecting something better honestly, it doesn't beat DI, KNY nor SNW in my opinion.

I'm not sure if I'll ever need to listen to DE or KNY ever again after this record. This blows them completely out of the water.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Entombed

naw

I agree with you here. I have issues with SNW's production, but the songs themselves are solid. This album, however, is a disappointment. I had issues with the repetitive structure in KNY, but still liked the album overall. I enjoyed the direction the songs were taking, but his feels like it came out of left field and I have trouble comparing it to the other albums in their discography in a favorable fashion.

77years

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 03, 2016, 09:57 PM

naw

I'm not sure if I'll ever need to listen to DE or KNY ever again after this record. This blows them completely out of the water.

By far. Straight up destroys those 2

2MoreHours

Quote from: Entombed on Apr 03, 2016, 09:49 PM

really?

Yup. His guitar is there, it's down tuned, but it feels/sounds uninspired to me. Trust me, I want to love it, but I just don't. Phantom Bride is probably the most solid song IMO and it doesn't really sound much like the Deftones.

There is nothing inspiring about the guitar on this album.  That is for sure.  That said, there was nothing really earth shattering about the riffs on KNY either.  The best days with Steph were SNW and before.  The album is still good though.  I'm digging it.  Just not racing to pick up my guitar to play along with anything.

Entombed

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 03, 2016, 10:01 PM

really?

There is nothing inspiring about the guitar on this album.  That is for sure.  That said, there was nothing really earth shattering about the riffs on KNY either.  The best days with Steph were SNW and before.  The album is still good though.  I'm digging it.  Just not racing to pick up my guitar to play along with anything.

I think the guitar is such a significant element to me when it comes to the feel of the Deftones. Maybe that's why I'm so disappointed with the album. I'll try to listen to it again in 5 days when it's officially released, with the hopes of it growing on me.

77years

Geometric headdress is a fucking forest fire

DFTNSHXGRM

There are 7 other very guitar driven deftones records. This one Frank, Abe, Sergio, and Chino shine the most, which is nice for a change.

I, however am not a guitarist. I'm a drummer / write electronic music.. so I may be more partial to a less heavy guitar driven record.

2MoreHours

Quote from: Entombed on Apr 03, 2016, 10:03 PM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 03, 2016, 10:01 PM

really?

I think the guitar is such a significant element to me when it comes to the feel of the Deftones. Maybe that's why I'm so disappointed with the album. I'll try to listen to it again in 5 days when it's officially released, with the hopes of it growing on me.

I think hearing the official release will help with the guitar some.  It won't change the riffs of course but it will sound beefier and the tone will make the songs sound better.

77years

If they play geometric headdress live people are going to lose their shit

kleptoned

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 03, 2016, 09:57 PM

naw

Ill always go back eventually but yes this is a masterpiece