Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prty

Yeah I'd love a HQ link if someone has one but I'm tipping we are still a few days off?

pinata89

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
Quote from: jujuslim on Apr 04, 2016, 02:38 AM
Hell yea! New HUM on the way!!
https://www.facebook.com/humbandofficial/posts/10153488223498697

Don't they have like five or six songs from their 90's run that are unrecorded? Inklings, Cloud City and several others. The version of Inklings they played on last year's tour is clearly different from the one they were playing in the early 2000s

A fucking Deftones/Hum tour would be epic. Someone needs to seriously consider a traveling festival-type event with Hum, Failure, Deftones, Nothing and a few other bands who have been championing Hum and Failure as major influences in the last ten years
God damn. I would literally jump in front of a moving train after a show with these three bands😏

NYRexall

Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
So, Failure and HUM are both gods. If I'm being totally honest, I love Deftones, but those bands are on an even higher tier to me - among my favorites of all time.

Failure's The Heart Is a Monster from last year has to be one of the greatest comeback records after a 15+ year hiatus in rock history. As mentioned, it's not quite Fantastic Planet, but it's shockingly close to being that good. And best of all, they didn't accomplish that through token nostalgia that sounds like the old stuff but lacks a little of the soul - it's an incredibly creative effort with a new direction, and it's actually really fucking great.

I can't even imagine getting new HUM that's equally good, but it sounds like that may happen. What a grew few years for music.

Personally, I hear a noticeable Failure influence - circa Fantastic Planet - on Gore. This is especially true if you think about the darker tracks from FP, like "Heliotropic" or "Solaris." I'm not hearing as much HUM on this one, but they've no doubt left their mark on previous 'Tones material like "Knife Party."

Mr. Vesanique was claiming all kinds of Hum - DIH influence on Gore just yesterday, iirc

I have no doubt a new Hum album would equal or better the latest Failure. Hum understand how important their influence has become, and that their (now sizeable) cult fanbase can't be bullshitted. They're great dudes and I'm sure if there is a new Hum record one day, it will have plenty we love about the band in addition to some nice creative steps forward

E-Money

Just had my first listen all the way through. Love where they went with this one. So experimental. A total left turn.  You hear all of their influences but in the end it's still Deftones and they really make it their own. There's no other band like them. Totally unique. And that's why we love them. The Feeling the Rubicon gave The first time hearing it was pure musical euphoria. I almost felt sick to my stomach with nerves but at the same time was so desperate to keep hearing more. Fucking greatness. Love all of the tempo changes and I love how some songs are very dark and very bright at the same time. Also love how the album really ends on a high note. Last two songs are super beautiful and inspirational. Deftones at their best. My favorite album of the Sergio era and we don't even have cd quality yet!

And Abe always brings it. My favorite drummer of all time.

Entombed

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 02:29 AM
Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 02:05 AM

I'd throw Shiner in there as well. Starless is one of my favorite albums of all time, personally.

The Egg > Starless

;D

For a long time, I agreed with this. For some reason, Starless grew on me over the years and took over as my favorite.
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

pinata89

Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 02:58 AM

I'd throw Shiner in there as well. Starless is one of my favorite albums of all time, personally.

The Egg > Starless

;D

For a long time, I agreed with this. For some reason, Starless grew on me over the years and took over as my favorite.
I need to get this shit. I have no Shiner in my library 😔

NYRexall

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 02:56 AM
God damn. I would literally jump in front of a moving train after a show with these three bands😏

The great thing about Nothing -- aside from the fact that they're awesome and from Philadelphia -- is that they more than held their own as openers for Failure and Hum on that tour last summer. By the second show, I was just as keen to see them as I was Hum and Failure. Their new album out next month is also said to have some key influence from that touring stint

I'd pay top dollar to see Nothing open for the Deftones on a Gore leg. Their sonic styles definitely compliment one another and Nothing is clearly influenced by the more gaze-based Deftones stuff since S/T

NYRexall

The Egg > Starless

;D

Are you a fan of The Life and Times?

I have both the Egg and Starless on vinyl. Not as familiar with Starless as I am the Egg, but I'm going ot change that since you insist Starless is the better of the two  ;)

pinata89

Quote from: E-Money on Apr 04, 2016, 02:58 AM
Just had my first listen all the way through. Love where they went with this one. So experimental. A total left turn.  You hear all of their influences but in the end it's still Deftones and they really make it their own. There's no other band like them. Totally unique. And that's why we love them. The Feeling the Rubicon gave The first time hearing it was pure musical euphoria. I almost felt sick to my stomach with nerves but at the same time was so desperate to keep hearing more. Fucking greatness. Love all of the tempo changes and I love how some songs are very dark and very bright at the same time. Also love how the album really ends on a high note. Last two songs are super beautiful and inspirational. Deftones at their best. My favorite album of the Sergio era and we don't even have cd quality yet!
So so good. Rubicon is my fav, and the homage to "Hexagram" with "the crowd goes wild" lyric kind of scares me. Like it's a finality kind of thing, or coming full circle....not sure how to take it. But Rubicon is def my fav so far

Entombed

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 03:01 AM

The Egg > Starless

;D

Are you a fan of The Life and Times?

I have both the Egg and Starless on vinyl. Not as familiar with Starless as I am the Egg, but I'm going ot change that since you insist Starless is the better of the two  ;)

I am. "The Politics of Driving" was the first song I heard by them and I probably listened to it about 20 times the day I discovered them.

NYRexall

Getting back to Gore..

Is there any kind of Smiths or Cure influence on any of these songs? I think I remember in the craziness that was SL yesterday somebody saying that Rubicon sounded like The Smiths going metal or something..?

NYRexall

Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 03:03 AM

I am. "The Politics of Driving" was the first song I heard by them and I probably listened to it about 20 times the day I discovered them.

What's that one album they do..."Electric Boogie" or something? GREAT album there. I've been hunting it on vinyl for the better part of a year now..

pelican fly

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 03:04 AM
Getting back to Gore..

Is there any kind of Smiths or Cure influence on any of these songs? I think I remember in the craziness that was SL yesterday somebody saying that Rubicon sounded like The Smiths going metal or something..?

man ....so many sounds and influences. it all comes back to their sound though. that's whats so cool about this record.

phil for real

This album is so great.  My least favorite track is probably Gore.  It's ok, just doesn't do much for me.

Havoc

Hearts/Wires is now available on iTunes.

Entombed

Getting back to Gore..

I know we were just talking about Shiner, but that's what the guitar makes me think of. It's dark, but anthemic at the same time. It's growing on me. I almost hear a bit of Far in there as well, but darker.

ominousnimbus

The Egg > Starless

;D

Shiner is another borderline top 10 band of all time for me. I've vacillated between Starless and The Egg many times. Starless is just such melodic perfection, the closest to mainstream rock dudes that talented can get - whereas The Egg is a little more sophisticated and experimental. It really just comes down to my mood and the season, I think.

For anyone who's big into Failure and HUM but hasn't given them a shot, I'd start with Starless. Shiner took me the longest to get into out of that trifecta of bands, but I now put them on par with the other two, and consider their songwriting and technical ability to be likely the most impressive of the three.

pinata89

Getting back to Gore..

Maybe a tad. But i hear more Failure, Smashing pumpkins, MBV. Very dense, lush shit. You're gonna love it man

laurapalmer

Yeah hearts/wires just automatically downloaded onto my ITunes. Happy days

pinata89

Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 04, 2016, 03:08 AM

The Egg > Starless

;D

Shiner is another borderline top 10 band of all time for me. I've vacillated between Starless and The Egg many times. Starless is just such melodic perfection, the closest to mainstream rock dudes that talented can get - whereas The Egg is a little more sophisticated and experimental. It really just comes down to my mood and the season, I think.

For anyone who's big into Failure and HUM but hasn't given them a shot, I'd start with Starless. Shiner took me the longest to get into out of that trifecta of bands, but I now put them on par with the other two, and consider their songwriting and technical ability to be likely the most impressive of the three.
Just need to find their stuff. I've been looking for a discog for the last hour