Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallZDeeP

H/W is on iTunes FYI ( west coast guys/gals)

pinata89

Quote from: laurapalmer on Apr 04, 2016, 03:10 AM
Yeah hearts/wires just automatically downloaded onto my ITunes. Happy days
Nice! Is it 12:11am where you are?

NYRexall

Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 03:08 AM
I know we were just talking about Shiner, but that's what the guitar makes me think of. It's dark, but anthemic at the same time. It's growing on me. I almost hear a bit of Far in there as well, but darker.

Wow...tones of Far and Shiner on this album, too? This is going to be something truly amazing when I finally hear it..

NYRexall

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 03:08 AM
Maybe a tad. But i hear more Failure, Smashing pumpkins, MBV. Very dense, lush shit. You're gonna love it man

Oh man

When you put it like that, I *already* do  ;D

ominousnimbus

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 03:10 AM
Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 04, 2016, 03:08 AM
Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 02:58 AM
Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 02:29 AM
Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 02:05 AM

I'd throw Shiner in there as well. Starless is one of my favorite albums of all time, personally.

The Egg > Starless

;D

For a long time, I agreed with this. For some reason, Starless grew on me over the years and took over as my favorite.
Shiner is another borderline top 10 band of all time for me. I've vacillated between Starless and The Egg many times. Starless is just such melodic perfection, the closest to mainstream rock dudes that talented can get - whereas The Egg is a little more sophisticated and experimental. It really just comes down to my mood and the season, I think.

For anyone who's big into Failure and HUM but hasn't given them a shot, I'd start with Starless. Shiner took me the longest to get into out of that trifecta of bands, but I now put them on par with the other two, and consider their songwriting and technical ability to be likely the most impressive of the three.
Just need to find their stuff. I've been looking for a discog for the last hour
They put a remaster of Starless (originally released 2000) on Bandcamp recently, you should be able to stream it free: https://shinerkc.bandcamp.com/releases

My personal favorite, and perhaps the most Deftones-esque, is "Glass Jaw Test," so that might be a good starting point.

Entombed

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 03:14 AM
Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 03:08 AM
I know we were just talking about Shiner, but that's what the guitar makes me think of. It's dark, but anthemic at the same time. It's growing on me. I almost hear a bit of Far in there as well, but darker.

Wow...tones of Far and Shiner on this album, too? This is going to be something truly amazing when I finally hear it..

There are some songs growing on me. I originally liked 1-2 songs, but I'm starting to warm up to it a bit, despite the album as a whole being so drastically different (with a few exceptions).
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

NYRexall

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 03:10 AM
Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 04, 2016, 03:08 AM
Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 02:58 AM
Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 02:29 AM
Quote from: Entombed on Apr 04, 2016, 02:05 AM

I'd throw Shiner in there as well. Starless is one of my favorite albums of all time, personally.

The Egg > Starless

;D

For a long time, I agreed with this. For some reason, Starless grew on me over the years and took over as my favorite.
Shiner is another borderline top 10 band of all time for me. I've vacillated between Starless and The Egg many times. Starless is just such melodic perfection, the closest to mainstream rock dudes that talented can get - whereas The Egg is a little more sophisticated and experimental. It really just comes down to my mood and the season, I think.

For anyone who's big into Failure and HUM but hasn't given them a shot, I'd start with Starless. Shiner took me the longest to get into out of that trifecta of bands, but I now put them on par with the other two, and consider their songwriting and technical ability to be likely the most impressive of the three.
Just need to find their stuff. I've been looking for a discog for the last hour

Go here: http://shiner.shopsilentempire.com/

Both LPs come with an insert and a d/l coupon

E-Money

Love how confident Chino sounds on the song Gore. Kind of reminds me of goon squad or at least his delivery. What a killer track. I bet the real thing sounds so incredible. I so wanted to wait.  I downloaded it right when I got up this morning but didn't listen to it until about an hour ago. This album  really shows how creative these guys are. It's a total collaborative effort. Sounds like they just got into a room together and jammed out exactly like they said. So freaking cool !

pinata89

Quote from: E-Money on Apr 04, 2016, 03:26 AM
Love how confident Chino sounds on the song Gore. Kind of reminds me of goon squad or at least his delivery. What a killer track. I bet the real thing sounds so incredible. I so wanted to wait.  I downloaded it right when I got up this morning but didn't listen to it until about an hour ago. This album  really shows how creative these guys are. It's a total collaborative effort. Sounds like they just got into a room together and jammed out exactly like they said. So freaking cool !
This album slays. Right behind S/T for me!

iceeslunk

is it me or does pittura infamante have an early smashing pumpkins vibe to it? i think its either the guitar or maybe just as a whole...but i dig it, currently making my first pass through on gore, still a few tracks to go :)

pinata89

Quote from: iceeslunk on Apr 04, 2016, 03:37 AM
is it me or does pittura infamante have an early smashing pumpkins vibe to it? i think its either the guitar or maybe just as a whole...but i dig it, currently making my first pass through on gore, still a few tracks to go :)
I said this and got shit for ir. I completely agree;there is lots of SP influences on this album, in my opinion

BallZDeeP

I love it. I dont care who disagrees

RaptureWS

Quote from: deftonesluvrbrazil on Apr 04, 2016, 01:39 AM
What about (L)MIRL guys? It sounds so different to anything Deftones has ever made, it sounds like a Stone Sour song or something. I think it's nice, but probably the most radio-friendly song of the album, what do you guys think?

I agree that it is different. For me, LMIRL strays from their core/expected sound more so than the other tracks.
As for being radio-friendly or Stone Sour sounding, I don't really agree there. The chorus and the "hey!" part do have an almost southern rock feel but the way it is molded would not captivate a mass radio audience IMO. In fact, I believe it would do the opposite and would hurt the band. "This is what Deftones have become? No thanks." Deep cut, for sure. My least favorite on the entire album though.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

iceeslunk

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 03:39 AM
I said this and got shit for ir. I completely agree;there is lots of SP influences on this album, in my opinion
aw yeah dude i dont know why you caught shit for that...especially on that song i hear a pumpkins type of vibe...for the record that isnt a diss or anything, early pumpkins is fucking dope!

laurapalmer

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 03:11 AM
Quote from: laurapalmer on Apr 04, 2016, 03:10 AM
Yeah hearts/wires just automatically downloaded onto my ITunes. Happy days
Nice! Is it 12:11am where you are?

Nope it was 11:11, I'm east coast.

pinata89

Quote from: iceeslunk on Apr 04, 2016, 03:44 AM
Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 03:39 AM
aw yeah dude i dont know why you caught shit for that...especially on that song i hear a pumpkins type of vibe...for the record that isnt a diss or anything, early pumpkins is fucking dope!
Fasho!

RaptureWS

Quote from: BallZDeeP on Apr 04, 2016, 03:41 AM
I love it. I dont care who disagrees

I love it too! The verse almost sounds like some Egyptian style shit while Chino sings with power and confidence, like he is praising a God. The chorus kicks in and Chino becomes more subdued with his vocal delivery and the music switches to a driving-yet-lush wall of sound. The verse and the chorus sound nothing alike but fit together so well. It's one of my favorite tracks. That's the one you recommended to me personally and I paid close attention the first time I heard it. Love it so much.

Does  ANYONE else know what I mean with the Egypt comparison? During that verse I feel like I can see those Egyptian workers in their white skirt things, gold snake crowns on their head carrying a woman with four arms, dressed in magnificent clothing through a cheering crowd while Chino waits at the end of the crowd, singing his heart out. lol ANYONE?
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

E-Money

I'm definitely hearing some smashing pumpkins, hum, failure, Janes addiction, and mbv for sure. But not like a rip off or anything.. All blended to sound like deftones. Killer shit

YouWOuldKnow

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
So, Failure and HUM are both gods. If I'm being totally honest, I love Deftones, but those bands are on an even higher tier to me - among my favorites of all time.

Failure's The Heart Is a Monster from last year has to be one of the greatest comeback records after a 15+ year hiatus in rock history. As mentioned, it's not quite Fantastic Planet, but it's shockingly close to being that good. And best of all, they didn't accomplish that through token nostalgia that sounds like the old stuff but lacks a little of the soul - it's an incredibly creative effort with a new direction, and it's actually really fucking great.

I can't even imagine getting new HUM that's equally good, but it sounds like that may happen. What a grew few years for music.

Personally, I hear a noticeable Failure influence - circa Fantastic Planet - on Gore. This is especially true if you think about the darker tracks from FP, like "Heliotropic" or "Solaris." I'm not hearing as much HUM on this one, but they've no doubt left their mark on previous 'Tones material like "Knife Party."
This. +100. Great post bro.

Two of my favorite bands. After listening to Gore the first time I definitely felt some Failure vibes, especially in the production of the record. It really seems like they set out to make a trippy album as opposed to a collection of songs. Everything flows like Fantastic Planet or Magnified.

pinata89

Quote from: YouWOuldKnow on Apr 04, 2016, 03:55 AM
Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
So, Failure and HUM are both gods. If I'm being totally honest, I love Deftones, but those bands are on an even higher tier to me - among my favorites of all time.

Failure's The Heart Is a Monster from last year has to be one of the greatest comeback records after a 15+ year hiatus in rock history. As mentioned, it's not quite Fantastic Planet, but it's shockingly close to being that good. And best of all, they didn't accomplish that through token nostalgia that sounds like the old stuff but lacks a little of the soul - it's an incredibly creative effort with a new direction, and it's actually really fucking great.

I can't even imagine getting new HUM that's equally good, but it sounds like that may happen. What a grew few years for music.

Personally, I hear a noticeable Failure influence - circa Fantastic Planet - on Gore. This is especially true if you think about the darker tracks from FP, like "Heliotropic" or "Solaris." I'm not hearing as much HUM on this one, but they've no doubt left their mark on previous 'Tones material like "Knife Party."
This. +100. Great post bro.

Two of my favorite bands. After listening to Gore the first time I definitely felt some Failure vibes, especially in the production of the record. It really seems like they set out to make a trippy album as opposed to a collection of songs. Everything flows like Fantastic Planet or Magnified.
God, i'm so glad there are other Failure geeks on here