Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m1nusblindfoLd

Hearts/Wires official posted to Deftones YouTube.

Bergerac

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 04, 2016, 05:17 PM
Quote from: el perro on Apr 04, 2016, 04:33 PM
This might be the first Deftones album I don't get. It sounds like a covers album with each song reminding me of a song written by someone else. Deftones used to be innovators, but now they're imitators.. This album demonstrates that Chino really doesn't understand anything about song writing. He just makes a lot of noise doing the same things he's always does every album and made the mistake of ignoring Stephen this time and go along with Serj who apparently isn't any better.

I've never actually considered Deftones "innovators," not particularly anyway.  They've always borrowed things, and their innovation has come mostly from mashing up their varied musical tastes.  Nothing they've ever done has been particularly "new," they've just combined various different styles and incorporated them into one song.  In doing so they've taken some styles and made them "better," or done them "right."  But as far as something completely new, I'm not sure if they've ever done that.

Gore is amazing, not sure what you're talking about man!

I feel the complete opposite. I listen to them because they're trailblazers. Because they're 'new', pushing forward. Which is why I get irate when they don't.

guizz

Nothing in music is really totally new anymore. Who gives a shit as long as they evolve and get better?

el perro

I see you guys get pretty sentimental and excited if anyone shares a negative opinion.

Bergerac

Quote from: el perro on Apr 04, 2016, 05:26 PM
I see you guys get pretty sentimental and excited if anyone shares a negative opinion.

Actually no, I'd far rather read stuff like what you've posted than someone claiming to be crying, with a blown mind having listened to 30 seconds of a track.

mono

I don't know if this has been asked earlier but...anyone knows what's the status of the preorders? Mine is "processing"...I thinks it's time to ship that babies

from_musings

This might be the first Deftones album I don't get. It sounds like a covers album with each song reminding me of a song written by someone else. Deftones used to be innovators, but now they're imitators.. This album demonstrates that Chino really doesn't understand anything about song writing. He just makes a lot of noise doing the same things he's always does every album and made the mistake of ignoring Stephen this time and go along with Serj who apparently isn't any better.

although i don't agree entirely,i get your point,i actually thought to myself earlier today that this is another cover album although the songs aren't covers.that's exaggerated and luckilyit's not "this song sounds exactly like that song with this group" and everyone agrees on that.
it's just small things in chords,melodies,sounds,etc little influences sprinkled all over the album to a great amount here and there.
if you read people's comments, people hear different influences on same parts. to me personally most of times it is run through some kind of a deftones filter and most of times it comes out a deftones song of their own, to me it doesn't cross that boarder of being too apparent too many times imo.

i thought "what the hell.." though,when the guitars in rubicon sounded so much like the band failure when that song came up. sometimes i mind,often i don't.i like gore, but i wouldn't mind if they work on stephen's ideas next time, if there is one

pinata89

Quote from: illmono on Apr 04, 2016, 05:31 PM
I don't know if this has been asked earlier but...anyone knows what's the status of the preorders? Mine is "processing"...I thinks it's time to ship that babies
How can you check the status? On the site?

77years

Pittura Infamante is a slow burn, then BAM it cracks wide open, sleek chorus with high melodies, real different but a great success. Never heard anything like that from them before

mono

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 05:32 PM
Quote from: illmono on Apr 04, 2016, 05:31 PM
How can you check the status? On the site?

I have this link in my order email confirmation, if you used an account to buy the preorder, you can check it
https://deftones.warnerbrosrecords.com/customer/account/

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Bergerac on Apr 04, 2016, 05:28 PM
Quote from: el perro on Apr 04, 2016, 05:26 PM

Actually no, I'd far rather read stuff like what you've posted than someone claiming to be crying, with a blown mind having listened to 30 seconds of a track.

I'm perfectly fine with you posting a negative reaction.  But if you're going to post a reaction, be it positive OR negative, you should expect responses to that reaction.  That's how a forum works.  So don't get broken up about people responding to your reaction, because that's the entire point of this place!

Like he said, I understand your reaction better than the one guy who said he literally cried about H/W.  I mean... come on.  I really like the album, but that's pretty extreme!
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

2MoreHours

OMG!  I just listened to 8 seconds of H/W and now my wrists are bleeding all over the place!  So freakin epic I can't live anymore.

ANattyRat

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Apr 04, 2016, 04:46 PM

8 studio albums? been a band for 28 years? endless hours of playing concerts and shows and being in the music business? I think he knows a pretty good deal about being a song writer dude

Seriously. Not liking an album, being disappointed, having criticisms about the band members' way of doing things, etc. All valid things. But to say something like that is completely illogical and pretty damn disrespectful. Dude has been giving us (along with the rest of the members, of course) awesome enough music that this person signed up to a forum to discuss Deftones, yet suddenly he's copying other musicians and can't write music.

gwenudo

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 04, 2016, 05:40 PM
Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Apr 04, 2016, 04:46 PM

8 studio albums? been a band for 28 years? endless hours of playing concerts and shows and being in the music business? I think he knows a pretty good deal about being a song writer dude

Seriously. Not liking an album, being disappointed, having criticisms about the band members' way of doing things, etc. All valid things. But to say something like that is completely illogical and pretty damn disrespectful. Dude has been giving us (along with the rest of the members, of course) awesome enough music that this person signed up to a forum to discuss Deftones, yet suddenly he's copying other musicians and can't write music.
Cant believe that guy said that. Im not here sucking on Chinos dick, but he's a multitalented artist. Theres a reason why people go crazy for him, theres a reason why deftones, crosses, and palms shows sell out. Not because he's Chino, but because the music is actually really fucking good. Have you seen how many albums they sell? Surely its not because deftones is a fucking cult full of sheep, its because the music is actually REALLY FUCKING GOOD. And here we go again, with the same Steph bullshit. Bitch please, shits been going on since the inception of deftones, they argue and disagree, its NORMAL, you act as if youve never heard Hole in the Earth where he literally says he hates his friends, thats what best friends do, have any? Gtfo. Also covers? Nah its just him throwing his favorite influences in these songs, every band does that.
Was it like it seemed?...

77years

It's ridiculous the extent to which supposed "fans" of Deftones are prepared to express their displeasure that the band didn't cut-copy-paste "Root" throughout their entire career.

Its 20 years from Adrenaline and people STILL can't accept change

3004pd

Rally Sweat

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 04, 2016, 05:32 PM

although i don't agree entirely,i get your point,i actually thought to myself earlier today that this is another cover album although the songs aren't covers.that's exaggerated and luckilyit's not "this song sounds exactly like that song with this group" and everyone agrees on that.
it's just small things in chords,melodies,sounds,etc little influences sprinkled all over the album to a great amount here and there.
if you read people's comments, people hear different influences on same parts. to me personally most of times it is run through some kind of a deftones filter and most of times it comes out a deftones song of their own, to me it doesn't cross that boarder of being too apparent too many times imo.

i thought "what the hell.." though,when the guitars in rubicon sounded so much like the band failure when that song came up. sometimes i mind,often i don't.i like gore, but i wouldn't mind if they work on stephen's ideas next time, if there is one

Yeah, some of Koi and Gore sound like Deftones Plays... which is something that's hard to adjust to for me. Maybe I'm just not into the reference points they're using, but like you say, it's always through their unique 'lens'.

On a side note, Abe's got some real flair on this album! Pretty much the sole reason Pittura Infamante works (felt the same about Mein). Lotsa little bursts of energy throughout as well. Great flourishes.

LG95

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 04, 2016, 05:17 PM

I've never actually considered Deftones "innovators," not particularly anyway.  They've always borrowed things, and their innovation has come mostly from mashing up their varied musical tastes.  Nothing they've ever done has been particularly "new," they've just combined various different styles and incorporated them into one song.  In doing so they've taken some styles and made them "better," or done them "right."  But as far as something completely new, I'm not sure if they've ever done that.

Gore is amazing, not sure what you're talking about man!
They're definitely innovators - most of what you've just described is innovation - but they're not especially inventors. You can hear bits of various different influences in their music but they take them and combine them and add their own twists and make it entirely their own, which is why they're one of the most unique, standout bands around. They've never really invented anything but that's the case for basically every artist/group. It's just a never-ending cycle - a standout band was influenced by these bands and artists, who were influenced by these bands and artists who were influenced by... and it carries on.
I could float here forever

GR1X7S

Got a shipping notification for Gore from Deftones store.  Super stoked to hear this beast on wax

mono

Quote from: GR1X7S on Apr 04, 2016, 06:06 PM
Got a shipping notification for Gore from Deftones store.  Super stoked to hear this beast on wax

really? when?