Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worship

Quote from: Reichward on Apr 05, 2016, 10:11 PM
Quote from: worship on Apr 05, 2016, 10:09 PM
Who cares if it's heavy or not?
It can be good or bad, I never saw Deftones as a heavy band, to be quite honest.
If course it doesn't have to be. But the diversity is appreciated.

Of course. But if this record is not diverse, I don't know which one is.

redeemer96

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 05, 2016, 10:06 PM
The vocal melody on Phantom Bride has been bugging me in the sense that I felt like it was too familiar.

I think it's because of that song Chino did with Dance Gavin Dance. Sounds pretty similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSavDtBthl4

gotta admit tho that was a badass song, my favorite song with a chino appearance

Moz

It doesn't touch White Pony for me, as others have said, the songs were so unconventional and so unique, its the perfect 'Tones record and will probably never be bettered by the band. But I can see that it is the WP of the 'new era Deftones', yes. Its at least the most unique and unconventional of the three records in the new era, and just like WP a grower, lots of variations.

pinata89

Quote from: redeemer96 on Apr 05, 2016, 10:14 PM
The vocal melody on Phantom Bride has been bugging me in the sense that I felt like it was too familiar.

I think it's because of that song Chino did with Dance Gavin Dance. Sounds pretty similar.

gotta admit tho that was a badass song, my favorite song with a chino appearance
Mine is "Bender" with Sevendust

GR1X7S

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 05, 2016, 10:12 PM
Quote from: GR1X7S on Apr 05, 2016, 10:04 PM
Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 05, 2016, 09:59 PM
It seems like every new album is always the "new White Pony" for the first week or so that it's out and then it fades away down the list.  White Pony is pretty much untouchable at this point.  If there was going to be another WP, it would have happened before now.  That kind of music and creativity comes along with heavy drug use which I don't think they do much of anymore.
You have a point. I guess what i meant by that was basically Gore will be looked at as new creative peak for the band. It could be the White Pony of the Sergio era but who knows. Hyperbole aside this is another sold album that i am absolutely loving.

It's definitely good because all Deftones albums are good.  Hell, Chino could sing over Abe banging on pots and pans with Frank playing a Casio keyboard and it would still be good.  I just don't know if I'll be able to put this up high on my overall list.  I need that 320 so I can start figuring that out!
Oh for sure. I do feel like we're losing a lot of the personality of the songs with this current shit quality.

Hinojos

Would have been insane if Jonny Craig was still the singer at that point in time when they collaborated, would have been crazy to hear Chino and Jonny going back and forth on a track.

Inkblades

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 05, 2016, 09:59 PM
It seems like every new album is always the "new White Pony" for the first week or so that it's out and then it fades away down the list.  White Pony is pretty much untouchable at this point.  If there was going to be another WP, it would have happened before now.  That kind of music and creativity comes along with heavy drug use which I don't think they do much of anymore.

Well, yeah, you have to factor in everyone's excitement and hype in hearing new Deftones and all that. It's not the new WP (and that's okay, I don't want them to just keep repeating themselves), but I can definitely still say it's a really excellent album. I find it to be much more emotionally resonating than KNY (which I like, but something about it doesn't truly grab me), and that's all I was really looking for from them.

alligator

Geometric Headdress is heavy as fuck, more than "Gore". It's like a unreleased song from S/T, really loving it.

Inkblades

Quote from: alligator on Apr 05, 2016, 10:19 PM
Geometric Headdress is heavy as fuck, more than "Gore". It's like a unreleased song from S/T, really loving it.

+1

GR1X7S

All I meant by what I said was this new album feels as experimental and evolved as WP did when it was first released. I never said it should be called White Pony 2 or that it should be compared to it. Just to me at least it sounds like a creative evolution.

neirda

wow, just slept 5 hours, and the thread has grown significantly. What happened here? High Q rip? Is it all over the internet?

Jdubzor

Will blow you for 320 link  :o

pinata89

Chino, that you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinata89

Quote from: GR1X7S on Apr 05, 2016, 10:29 PM
All I meant by what I said was this new album feels as experimental and evolved as WP did when it was first released. I never said it should be called White Pony 2 or that it should be compared to it. Just to me at least it sounds like a creative evolution.
Great summary. I would call it the WP of this era of Deftones (to this point); or the "Sergio" era. Because Deftones clearly changed quite a bit after we lost Chi. So the whole WP argument just applies to the post-Chi era

GR1X7S

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 05, 2016, 10:34 PM
Quote from: GR1X7S on Apr 05, 2016, 10:29 PM
Great summary. I would call it the WP of this era of Deftones (to this point); or the "Sergio" era. Because Deftones clearly changed quite a bit after we lost Chi. So the whole WP argument just applies to the post-Chi era
Exactly it feels like a similar trajectory.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Divided_Spirit

61 + 16:

The carnival is empty....I need you to take me home..... God help..

2MoreHours

I could also see calling it the WP out of the last 3 albums.

pinata89

Quote from: Divided_Spirit on Apr 05, 2016, 10:41 PM

61 + 16:

The carnival is empty....I need you to take me home..... God help..
That certainly works too

pinata89

Meant for you, 2MoreHours, not this high mfer Divided_Spirit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheyCallMeP

I really have liked the songs I've heard thus far. I just hope Doomed User is the low point on this album for me. It's the only one that I've heard that I can't get fully into.

As for Hearts/Wires, Gore, Phantom Bride, Prayers/Triangles, and Acid Hologram I love it more than DE and KNY already!