Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinata89

Damn! Where is it already 4/8? Australia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77years

It's on Australian Spotify

(Pouting)

punkflop01

I feel like it's my birthday tomorrow!

gwenudo

Me after ive heard Gore for the gazillionth time

Was it like it seemed?...

illthrowROCKS@U

Okay, here's my ultimate decision - Gore is the most solid record Deftones have ever put out.

Hear me out..

I'm not saying it's their "best," or even my "favorite," but I can't remember a Deftones album that had such good songs all the way through.

Even my favorite records have songs I don't really like at all.  Adrenaline had Bored, ATF had Mascara, WP had Teenager, ST had AOAUE, SNW has Pink Cellphone, DE had 976 and TPID, KNY had Tempest, .  All of these records are fantastic, but I just don't dig those particular songs on them.  Then there's even a few more not in the "dislike" pile, but certainly in the "meh" pile like Good Morning Beautiful, Moana, Elite, YSTB, most of DE and KNY actually.

With Gore, though, I really can't find a single song I dislike.  Not even a "meh" song.  If I had to had to had to pick the weakest track I'd say it's probably Gore, but even that still had its merits.

Now, the only caveat is that Gore doesn't seem to have THE ONE.  That ONE song that just drives me wild.  For example, while ST has some throwaways on it, songs like Hexagram and Bloody Cape are just fucking amazing.  Bloody Cape is probably my favorite song ever from any artist ever.  There's really nothing on Gore that's OMG AMAZING.  Royal is fucking amazing, Kimdracula is fucking amazing, WGTB is amazing, Knife Prty is amazing, etc etc.  Gore doesn't have that for me, yet... just sort of really really good songs that just need that last little UMPH.

If there was just that ONE song, that really threw it over the edge for me, it might be my favorite album of theirs.  But it doesn't at the moment.  Acid Hologram is close, but it doesn't quite reach that OMG AMAZING level.

Still in my top 4 though!
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

from_musings

Quote from: SMLiberator on Apr 07, 2016, 03:36 PM
Now that I think about it, maybe I should have put my name in the images lol, I had no idea they would blow up like they did. I mean, Chino shared that on his twitter, how crazy is that?

those covers are all awesome, well done

ANattyRat

You think they did that because it leaked, or they were going to have it on Spotify now anyway?

77years

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 07, 2016, 05:53 PM
You think they did that because it leaked, or they were going to have it on Spotify now anyway?

It's Friday in Australia already...  lucky bastards

77years

Illthrowrocks...... that ONE song is "Phantom Bride"

For me

That's the best single Deftones track since Riviere, which still routinely makes me lose my shit

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 07, 2016, 05:16 PM
Damn! Where is it already 4/8? Australia?

New Zealand too, we're actually ahead of Aus by 3 or so hours, I'm going pick it up on my way home from work

sooniletugo

Lucky fuckers in the future :P

77years

I'm going to go buy the thing on vinyl tomorrow

THE place said they have one left unclaimed

pinata89

My package containing vinyl/cd is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I just tracked it! Woo!

DeftonesNZ

Over here they were even advertising it on the radio, like one of the retailers had an ad just for deftones new album which is pretty unusual but cool to see.

77years

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Apr 07, 2016, 06:10 PM
Over here they were even advertising it on the radio, like one of the retailers had an ad just for deftones new album which is pretty unusual but cool to see.

Very cool. I have noticed a large Gore poster in both mom & pop stores I went to on Monday

rainnyx4

I'm going to conflict with pretty much everyone here as usual and say that the main solo on Phantom Bride is probably one of the weakest parts of the album. It's so jarring and doesn't fit well with the core mood of the band's sound.

Other negatives:

Pittura Infamante - It's growing on me and the high quality rip sounds much better, but it is odd in the context of the rest of the album, should probably be a b-side.
Ending part of Gore goes on for too long. There's nothing unexpected or interesting there so there's no reason for it to drag on for as long as it does.
Lacks much in the way of the segues between songs. KNY did this much better.
They need to bring back some of the really electronic/weird stuff like Teenager, Lucky You, Anniversary, Konami Code, Pink Cellphone, etc. Miss these curveballs.
Some of Stef's heavy riffs are uninspiring. His tone on this album cuts through the mix much better this time around, but most of the low end riffage sounds fairly juvenile. This has been a problem with him for some time, but enough is enough. Really hope he puts more effort in on the next one.
Abe and Frank need to elevated in the mix more often. One of the best parts of the album are those few seconds when Frank shows up prominently during Acid Hologram. Likewise with Abe's drumming on Xenon.

Overall it's still a sold B+/A- album but after 4 years of waiting it should have been so much more.

gwenudo

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 07, 2016, 06:22 PM
I'm going to conflict with pretty much everyone here as usual and say that the main solo on Phantom Bride is probably one of the weakest parts of the album. It's so jarring and doesn't fit well with the core mood of the band's sound.

Other negatives:

Pittura Infamante - It's growing on me and the high quality rip sounds much better, but it is odd in the context of the rest of the album, should probably be a b-side.
Ending part of Gore goes on for too long. There's nothing unexpected or interesting there so there's no reason for it to drag on for as long as it does.
They need to bring back some of the really electronic/weird stuff like Teenager, Lucky You, Anniversary, Konami Code, Pink Cellphone, etc. Miss these curveballs.
Some of Stef's heavy riffs are uninspiring. His tone on this album cuts through the mix much better this time around, but most of the low end riffage sounds fairly juvenile. This has been a problem with him for some time, but enough is enough. Really hope he puts more effort in on the next one.
Abe and Frank need to elevated in the mix more often. One of the best parts of the album are those few seconds when Frank shows up prominently during Acid Hologram. Likewise with Abe's drumming on Xenon.

Overall it's still a sold B+/A- album but after 4 years of waiting it should have been so much more.
I agree on the Abe and Frank part. They need to bring them out more, theyre phenomenal. Also the curveball song part i agree, a song like teenager on here wouldve been amazing. Maybe that was crest? Idk, i could dream
Was it like it seemed?...

from_musings

so this is crest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-pf3OVB_g

pretty cool way to open an album if you ask me..

guizz

I don't agree that they didn't have any curveball, it's not because they don't have an electronic song in there that there is no curve ball. Acid Hologram is a huge curveball to me, so is Phantom Bride's solo, or H/W intro.

SMLiberator

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 07, 2016, 06:22 PM

I completely agree with everything you just said but I still think the Pros overcome the Cons by an awful lot. I loved the album.

If there was just one thing I could change to make it even better though, it would certainly be Frank's volume in the mix. It's there, but it's way too low. The same problem we have in some songs in S/T, too.
i'm confused??