Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinata89

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 10, 2016, 11:25 PM
Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 10, 2016, 11:02 PM
Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Apr 10, 2016, 10:54 PM
Quote from: dearthx1 on Apr 10, 2016, 10:42 PM
I don't understand why every single one of them have a reverby megaphone like effect on them. He's actually done this for a while, but I don't get why they can't have more natural screams and then use the effect for certain parts.

100% agree. Too much of weird "effects" on many of his screams.
Because he can't really scream anymore. They have to add effects for it to sound intense. I honestly would hate to hear the naked vocal tracks on the screaming parts

I don't believe this. Firstly because he can still scream live somewhat consistently. For sure, not with the same intensity and not as raw and visceral, but they played WGTB and you can't tell me that didn't sound awesome. And that was live. I don't believe he can't go into a studio and scream a few lines. This album doesn't really have a Hexagram, WGTB, etc. No screaming all the way through, really, so there's no reason why he wouldn't be able to. Hell, look at the screams on Gore.
I somewhat agree with you. But put this into perspective: every time he screams on this album, a filter is applied. I'm not saying he can't do it. But they were unhappy enough with the raw vox to apply a filter to make it more wretched sounding. Something to consider.

Not upset that they do this, i love this fucking album. Chino is like 40, and I respect him for even trying. But he's not young anymore and he knows that.

Reichward

I don't understand why every single one of them have a reverby megaphone like effect on them. He's actually done this for a while, but I don't get why they can't have more natural screams and then use the effect for certain parts.

Because he can't really scream anymore. They have to add effects for it to sound intense. I honestly would hate to hear the naked vocal tracks on the screaming parts

I don't believe this. Firstly because he can still scream live somewhat consistently. For sure, not with the same intensity and not as raw and visceral, but they played WGTB and you can't tell me that didn't sound awesome. And that was live. I don't believe he can't go into a studio and scream a few lines. This album doesn't really have a Hexagram, WGTB, etc. No screaming all the way through, really, so there's no reason why he wouldn't be able to. Hell, look at the screams on Gore.
I'm not sure I would want him to put another performance like Hexagram ou WGTB. The self-titled album is already a gem in that regard. Gore is different, in Gore, it's more difficult to apprehend what he tried to achieve, and I like it.
Of course it's not to everyone's taste - I have a friend who is also a big fan of Deftones, from Adrenaline to Koi No Yokan: Gore is a huge disappointment to him, especially the title track.

sing blue silver

How I'm feeling so far...

1. Hearts / Wires
2. Phantom Bride
3. (L)mirl
4. Xenon
5. Geometric Headdress
6. Rubicon
7. Gore
8. Doomed User
9. Acid Hologram
10. Pittura Infamante
11. Prayers / Triangles

ANattyRat

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 10, 2016, 11:28 PM

I somewhat agree with you. But put this into perspective: every time he screams on this album, a filter is applied. I'm not saying he can't do it. But they were unhappy enough with the raw vox to apply a filter to make it more wretched sounding. Something to consider.

Not upset that they do this, i love this fucking album. Chino is like 40, and I respect him for even trying. But he's not young anymore and he knows that.

Could just be an artistic choice. Some people use auto-tune because they need it, and some use it as a (crappy) artistic effect, you know? Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see though, haha. Same though, I don't mind either way, dude is never going to sound like he did that long ago, so the fact that he's still giving us that aggression in whatever means he can without shredding his voice to pieces, I'm happy.

pinata89

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 10, 2016, 11:45 PM

Could just be an artistic choice. Some people use auto-tune because they need it, and some use it as a (crappy) artistic effect, you know? Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see though, haha. Same though, I don't mind either way, dude is never going to sound like he did that long ago, so the fact that he's still giving us that aggression in whatever means he can without shredding his voice to pieces, I'm happy.
For sure man. I wasn't trying to start an argument, i'm just happy Deftones are still around and still killing it!

shoop

I'm curious to see how many of you will like P/T more after seeing it pro-shot on Kimmel, assuming they play that song. Also hoping they do a web exclusive video, as they did for DE. Not sure if Kimmel does 2 songs for artists anymore or what? Crosses I know had 2 songs as well.

HooiserBowhunter

After several listens this is my deftones album ranking:
S/T
SNW
Wp
DE
KOI
ADRENALINE
GORE
ATF

I know I have somewhat of a weird album ranking order, but I still do like Gore.

ANattyRat

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 10, 2016, 11:53 PM

For sure man. I wasn't trying to start an argument, i'm just happy Deftones are still around and still killing it!

I know, haha, I wasn't arguing, just discussing. Definitely glad they're still around and giving us awesome music.

As for them performing Prayers/Triangles, I guess it'll just be that, but ugh, I just hope they play a lot of songs from the album and not just stick with two or three or something.

pinata89

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 11, 2016, 12:12 AM
Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 10, 2016, 11:53 PM

I know, haha, I wasn't arguing, just discussing. Definitely glad they're still around and giving us awesome music.

As for them performing Prayers/Triangles, I guess it'll just be that, but ugh, I just hope they play a lot of songs from the album and not just stick with two or three or something.
Ditto, i wanna hear so much shit off of Gore live. We'll see if it actually happens

shoop

Shit.. i'm still just trying to hear ANY of SNW again, let alone anything new or rare.

WithoutMyJade

I have to say, Xenon is awesome and growing on me at breakneck speed. Sheeeeit, this album is outstanding.
Oz... if you come within 25 miles of my house, I will back a car over your head 75 times.

pinkmaggit69

Favorite to least favorite:
1. Hearts / Wires
2. Rubicon
3. Pittura Infamante
4. Gore
5. Geometric Headdress
6. Doomed User
7. (L)mirl
8. Prayers / Triangles
9. Acid Hologram
10. Xenon
11. Phantom Bride

Drinks won't stain this birth!

Hidalgo

Quote from: SMLiberator on Apr 10, 2016, 10:51 PM
Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Apr 10, 2016, 07:41 PM
not a musician but its obvious jerry's solo is in a completely different tune than steph's guitar. may be physically impossible to play the solo and have it sound accurate w/ the song

Steph uses a 8 string guitar in standard tuning. I'm assuming Jerry used a 6 strings guitar in a standard tuning too, so there wouldn't be any problems with that. Even if the tuning was different on Jerry's guitar I still think it should be fairly easy to just play it a few frets higher/lower, it is a simple solo after all.

Maybe Chino could do the soloing on the outro? I don't think he's playing anything on that part in the album anyways...
Jerry really set Stephen up perfectly with a solo in his skill range. i know he "could" learn it, he just won't. i was affaid Jerry would shred a super fast Dave Mustaine esque solo, but this is something Stephen can do, & he needs to do it

TheyCallMeP

The slow chords and opening verse on guitar during (L)MIRL is slowly becoming a highpoint of the album for me. I play guitar and I wish I would have come up with something like that for myself.

Not sure how I feel about the progression afterwards but the first half of that song is beautiful.

WithoutMyJade

Top to bottom (likely to change with more listens):

1.) Phantom Bride
2.) Gore
3.) Acid Hologram
4.) Xenon
5.) Rubicon
6.) Hearts/Wires
7.) Geometric Headdress
8.) (L)MIRL
9.) Pittura Infamante
10.) Prayers / Triangles
11.) Doomed User
Oz... if you come within 25 miles of my house, I will back a car over your head 75 times.

jaypayton

you can see why steph was so uninspired with the songs. aside from doomed user and geometric headdress he basically doesnt get a chance to shine at all. the Chino show wins again...clearly Chino has been listening to ISIS. half the songs sound like ISIS songs/or what Palms should have been (hearts wires/Pittura Infamante) esp....and xenon is the worst song they have ever recorded. worse than "mein"

play

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 11, 2016, 01:52 AM
you can see why steph was so uninspired with the songs. aside from doomed user and geometric headdress he basically doesnt get a chance to shine at all. the Chino show wins again...clearly Chino has been listening to ISIS. half the songs sound like ISIS songs/or what Palms should have been (hearts wires/Pittura Infamante) esp....and xenon is the worst song they have ever recorded. worse than "mein"

I don't think Iv ever seen a positive post from you.

Always talking so much shit.

TheyCallMeP

I don't care for Xenon much personally, but are you really surprised with Hearts/Wires? It seems to be in the same vein as Rosemary with the spacey type intro. Sextape shares some of those qualities as well. Honest question, not hating.

E-Money

Why is xenon so bad? Because it has a catchy chorus?. This record is great. They expand their sound just like they always do. And steph kills it on Rubicon. Some of the sickest riffs I've heard from him in a long time. And you really don't add much to the conversation.

ANattyRat

Shhhh, go to sleep, go back into the land where no albums after Saturday Night Wrist exist, that's where your paradise is. Go back.

Anyway, Stef wasn't inspired to begin with, he said he didn't know why, he just wasn't able to get into stuff. Not the band's fault he wasn't able to come up with anything until later on. By that point, they already had ideas, so he mostly just did his thing within the ideas given, but he did come up with some song ideas, too. I like how everything is Chino's fault to you, though.

I honestly don't get why you even bother coming here, let alone taking time out of your life to type something that is literally identical to every single other post you've ever made on here. Like really, all you ever do is whine about how much the band sucks now because it's hipster-Chino being a dictator. You state with 100% certainty that their new music will suck...then they release music AND THEN YOU WHINE ABOUT HOW MUCH IT SUCKS. Why are you surprised that you hate their music? It's been ten years since the last album you didn't loathe! What are you doing???