Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinata89

Quote from: Cullision on Apr 14, 2016, 02:32 AM
Anyone notice how much Chino sounds like Bjork on the song gore? It's exactly how she would sing the verses.
If you actually listen to Björk (as I do, huge fan), i hear the most Björk influence (vocally) on Pittura Infamante during the little gtr breakdown part. Stylistically, it's spot on

Inkblades

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 02:28 AM
"My favorite song they play is guns razors and knives" .. Dont you mean Rocket Skates? "Which song is that?" - real convo i had with a "fan" back in 2012 when i saw them in Dallas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't even make sense. They obviously know the song, but they don't know the title? It's not like Deftones are played on the radio all the time, either. You'd know the song by either listening to Diamond Eyes or watching the music video. Maybe the person's friends played the song to them or some shit. I think people are just oblivious to pesky formalities like song titles.

Lol, I was at the Amoeba show talking to some dude about how much we liked Gore. Then when they started playing Rubicon, he looks at me confused and says "Which song is this?" I'll cut him some slack though, because the album did just come out. Maybe he hasn't been listening to it obsessively like the rest of us.

gwenudo

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 14, 2016, 02:43 AM
"My favorite song they play is guns razors and knives" .. Dont you mean Rocket Skates? "Which song is that?" - real convo i had with a "fan" back in 2012 when i saw them in Dallas

Doesn't even make sense. They obviously know the song, but they don't know the title? It's not like Deftones are played on the radio all the time, either. You'd know the song by either listening to Diamond Eyes or watching the music video. Maybe the person's friends played the song to them or some shit. I think people are just oblivious to pesky formalities like song titles.

Lol, I was at the Amoeba show talking to some dude about how much we liked Gore. Then when they started playing Rubicon, he looks at me confused and says "Which song is this?" I'll cut him some slack though, because the album did just come out. Maybe he hasn't been listening to it obsessively like the rest of us.
Theres alot of fans in mexico who actually do this. They get the titles wrong or dont know the titles at all, they just say what the chorus says and you know what it is lol
Was it like it seemed?...

DenakDW

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 02:46 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 14, 2016, 02:43 AM

Theres alot of fans in mexico who actually do this. They get the titles wrong or dont know the titles at all, they just say what the chorus says and you know what it is lol

I'm Mexican... I can tell that's true! Nada más le washa washean en los coros:
Oraciones!!!! Triángulos!! Nunca serás libre!!
And all the days I've missed you 🍂

plagasx

Man...Chino sounded fantastic on Kimmel!

punkflop01

Man Acid Hologram - right from the first time I heard it is easily one of my all time favourite Deftones songs already. Those haunting verses, the chorus, the way it switches between light and dark, those effect towards the end that sounds a bit like maracas (reminds me of Beware) and the way it moves into Doomed User. Basically everything about it is just perfect.

el perro

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 12:41 AM
Quote from: sooniletugo on Apr 14, 2016, 12:39 AM
Sick of seeing comments from fans trashing the new album and following it up with "I can see why stephen carpenter wasn't happy with this album either." The media really blew the whole thing out of proportion, and people don't care enough to read beyond the headlines. Or maybe they did but just want to spin it their own way so they can say "Yeah, even Stephen agrees with me that this album sucks!" Was it all a publicity stunt by Deftones? Nah, I doubt it. But Steph is all over this album, and he clearly stated (in the same interview I think) that he was happy with the end result. If you just want to listen to Meshuggah, go listen to them. I don't care if people aren't feeling the new album, but so many of these comments are straight up bullshit, and they act like the band owes them. When it's the other way round if anything.

This doesn't apply to anyone here. Even those who aren't big on the new album have been decent and fair about it. I'm just seeing these same comments every time I look at Deftones posts on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc over the last few weeks.
I made a whole post about my feelings towards that. They took his words out of context. I will say this though, this album, i hear steph alot i really do and i love it. And i know steph likes the album yes i know that too, but in my opinion, this isnt a deftones record, its more of a chino moreno album. Thats just me though, love the music and i love what stephen put down

I hadn't listened to Quicksand before until someone on here said how much Gore resembles their music, and I can hear it now after listening to one of their albums. I'd say Gore is more Serjio's album than anyone's.

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: whitefur on Apr 13, 2016, 08:09 PM
Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Apr 13, 2016, 07:40 PMTrust me, every show I go to I'm yelling shit like "wake the fuck up!" To the crowd, but it seems like everyone is more concerned with their photos than jumping around. Sad, but true.

Curious to hear why you are concerned with what other people are doing and feel the need to tell them what to do?

Well, when the singer of the band says something similar (Amoeba show), then that's when I start to get hyped and I want people to get excited. I would look around and people aren't even head banging. It's weird. I want people to have a good time and when they aren't showing it, it gets me kind of nervous. I go to shows not just for the band, but for the experience, the vibes, the fans, seeing familiar faces. I could really care less because I'm still going to groove to the music and headband and scream as loud as I want, but don't come for me and get all annoyed if my arm touches your shoulder ... We're in the pit... GET fucking excited. I've been going to deftones shows since I was 10 (front row during White Pony tour... Glass jaw opening) and the energy was amazing. It was for years. I would see them years later during the S/T tour and people would be screaming and jumping up and down even at the bar. These days, you can hardly see the same shit going on.

So no, it doesn't concern me what they're doing, it's what they aren't doing that concerns me. I just want people to have fun feel alive.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

sooniletugo

Well said. Thankfully the crowd has been wild at both Deftones shows I've attended in 2010 and 2013. I saw one of my other favourite bands a few months ago and everybody just stood still with a lot of camera phones held up throughout. It was so irritating. I still moved as much as I could but I was limited, the people were very nervous about it. It spoiled the concert a bit because the atmosphere in the 'pit' was totally dead. I mean there was loud energetic riffs being played and nobody was moving a muscle, wtf.

So yes, it does affect the concert experience when most of the crowd is static.

Far away

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Apr 14, 2016, 07:45 AM
Quote from: whitefur on Apr 13, 2016, 08:09 PM
Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Apr 13, 2016, 07:40 PMTrust me, every show I go to I'm yelling shit like "wake the fuck up!" To the crowd, but it seems like everyone is more concerned with their photos than jumping around. Sad, but true.

Curious to hear why you are concerned with what other people are doing and feel the need to tell them what to do?

Well, when the singer of the band says something similar (Amoeba show), then that's when I start to get hyped and I want people to get excited. I would look around and people aren't even head banging. It's weird. I want people to have a good time and when they aren't showing it, it gets me kind of nervous. I go to shows not just for the band, but for the experience, the vibes, the fans, seeing familiar faces. I could really care less because I'm still going to groove to the music and headband and scream as loud as I want, but don't come for me and get all annoyed if my arm touches your shoulder ... We're in the pit... GET fucking excited. I've been going to deftones shows since I was 10 (front row during White Pony tour... Glass jaw opening) and the energy was amazing. It was for years. I would see them years later during the S/T tour and people would be screaming and jumping up and down even at the bar. These days, you can hardly see the same shit going on.

So no, it doesn't concern me what they're doing, it's what they aren't doing that concerns me. I just want people to have fun feel alive.

blame the technology.
Yeah, its good to have all these sources and new material basically everyday, but, IMO, this is killing the live shows experience. Ppl are more concerned about filming it to brag to their friends and/or post in social media than to actually enjoy what is in the front of their eyes. Go figure. Also I think all the security thing (no more crowd surfing, etc) and aging process might be doing it as well.

ANattyRat

Sick of seeing comments from fans trashing the new album and following it up with "I can see why stephen carpenter wasn't happy with this album either." The media really blew the whole thing out of proportion, and people don't care enough to read beyond the headlines. Or maybe they did but just want to spin it their own way so they can say "Yeah, even Stephen agrees with me that this album sucks!" Was it all a publicity stunt by Deftones? Nah, I doubt it. But Steph is all over this album, and he clearly stated (in the same interview I think) that he was happy with the end result. If you just want to listen to Meshuggah, go listen to them. I don't care if people aren't feeling the new album, but so many of these comments are straight up bullshit, and they act like the band owes them. When it's the other way round if anything.

This doesn't apply to anyone here. Even those who aren't big on the new album have been decent and fair about it. I'm just seeing these same comments every time I look at Deftones posts on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc over the last few weeks.
I made a whole post about my feelings towards that. They took his words out of context. I will say this though, this album, i hear steph alot i really do and i love it. And i know steph likes the album yes i know that too, but in my opinion, this isnt a deftones record, its more of a chino moreno album. Thats just me though, love the music and i love what stephen put down

You can say that, but I hate when people act like it's his fault, like Chino is a dictator who drowned out Stef's ideas on this album. Like, Stef admitted he just wasn't excited enough to initiate any song ideas until late into the process, so the band had to come up with ideas without him since he wasn't doing it himself. We'd probably be waiting another good six months or something if they sat around and did nothing until Stef fully participated, you know? So if people think it's more of a Chino album, I can get that, but then you can't blame Chino or the other band for wanting to get the ball rolling until Stef caught up. Also I'd say Sergio had a hell of a lot more influence on the music than the other two albums, for sure.

And he did eventually, and he initiated some ideas, and put his stamp on ideas that the others came up with, and now we have Gore. Hopefully next time he'll be excited right away and have some awesome ideas. But if people think the only time Stef's ideas are there are if we hear songs like Meshuggah or Metallica or something, they're wrong. Like really, Stef could've come up with a super-heavy song on Koi No Yokan but instead wanted a song like Entombed. I think that says it all, haha.

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 12:55 AM
Quote from: sooniletugo on Apr 14, 2016, 12:52 AM
What is a deftones record though?  :P
Heavy, Aggressive, DARK, yet ever so gentle and beautiful .. Basically S/T lol

Agree with this, though I'd say darkness is subjective. I haven't felt any genuine darkness since the self-titled album. Even Saturday Night Wrist I don't feel has that vibe enough for it to describe the album. With Gore I definitely get that vibe, though not in the same raw, painful way as self-titled, more of an artistic darkness (though I'm sure there are authentic feelings behind it).

N0S3BLEED976

Sorry, but this is bullshit. If you listen to Deftones for "the br00talz" and darkness, you listen to them for the wrong reasons. It's funny how people claim they're a dark and heavy as fuck band, when only one album of theirs really applied to that.

gwenudo

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Apr 14, 2016, 12:10 PM

Sorry, but this is bullshit. If you listen to Deftones for "the br00talz" and darkness, you listen to them for the wrong reasons. It's funny how people claim they're a dark and heavy as fuck band, when only one album of theirs really applied to that.
Not really, 4 albums represented all elements (Adre-S/T) SNW got softer but was still dark. Eros sounded like it was going to be all elements again, and then we have the last 3...

gwenudo

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 14, 2016, 10:14 AM

You can say that, but I hate when people act like it's his fault, like Chino is a dictator who drowned out Stef's ideas on this album. Like, Stef admitted he just wasn't excited enough to initiate any song ideas until late into the process, so the band had to come up with ideas without him since he wasn't doing it himself. We'd probably be waiting another good six months or something if they sat around and did nothing until Stef fully participated, you know? So if people think it's more of a Chino album, I can get that, but then you can't blame Chino or the other band for wanting to get the ball rolling until Stef caught up. Also I'd say Sergio had a hell of a lot more influence on the music than the other two albums, for sure.

And he did eventually, and he initiated some ideas, and put his stamp on ideas that the others came up with, and now we have Gore. Hopefully next time he'll be excited right away and have some awesome ideas. But if people think the only time Stef's ideas are there are if we hear songs like Meshuggah or Metallica or something, they're wrong. Like really, Stef could've come up with a super-heavy song on Koi No Yokan but instead wanted a song like Entombed. I think that says it all, haha.

Never bashed on Steph and i never blamed Chino for taking the horse and run with it. If anything ive been praising both. Steph did a great job, as with any album he's ever done, he's amazing. And Chino did an amazing job as well. If this was a side project, i would say its way better than Crosses, Palms and Team Sleep! Cause it is, i love it! But its like i said, this is a Chino Moreno album, not exactly a Deftones album.. Next time Steph will be prepared, he took forever to get in to work on the new album because hes been fixing his rig which sucks because turns out all he had to do was press a switch he never thought about pressing. From what im hearing in this album it sounds awesome i dig it, and it just gets me excited for the next seeing as to how they still want to continue going, Chinos already said they have a plan for the next album, so the next will definitely be a killer one. Super stoked

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 12:13 PM

Not really, 4 albums represented all elements (Adre-S/T) SNW got softer but was still dark. Eros sounded like it was going to be all elements again, and then we have the last 3...

Saying that Gore isn't a Deftones record is probably the most insulting thing you can say about the album. If that was true, more than half of their discography weren't "Deftones records", sound-wise. I said it before, but to me everything from SNW up to now is Deftones' core sound, which is neither dark, nor balls to the wall heavy. I think they share a lot of tropes with post-rock and -metal bands nowadays. Atmospheric, soaring, textured and heavy when it needs to be.

ANattyRat

They've always had heavy and aggressive elements. Always. Darkness only the first few albums in elements, but you can definitely use all of those words to describe their music as a whole. Note that he also said gentle and beautiful. People say Adrenaline was their heaviest album, and it's certainly their rawest and the most aggressive in a way, but even then they had soft, melodic aspects. So it's not like Gwenudo is saying anything crazy that doesn't describe the band.

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 12:35 PM
Never bashed on Steph and i never blamed Chino for taking the horse and run with it. If anything ive been praising both. Steph did a great job, as with any album he's ever done, he's amazing. And Chino did an amazing job as well. If this was a side project, i would say its way better than Crosses, Palms and Team Sleep! Cause it is, i love it! But its like i said, this is a Chino Moreno album, not exactly a Deftones album.. Next time Steph will be prepared, he took forever to get in to work on the new album because hes been fixing his rig which sucks because turns out all he had to do was press a switch he never thought about pressing. From what im hearing in this album it sounds awesome i dig it, and it just gets me excited for the next seeing as to how they still want to continue going, Chinos already said they have a plan for the next album, so the next will definitely be a killer one. Super stoked

Sorry dude, I wasn't referring to you even though I was quoting you, haha. I was mostly agreeing, but pointing out that some people say it's a Chino album as though he's being a dictator and squashing on Stef's ideas, when the reality is Stef just wasn't putting in many ideas until later on.

Also, where did Chino say they have a plan for the next album? That's awesome. Hopefully Stef will be excited more early on and put forth some more ideas. They did say they were thinking of releasing Eros after one more album (Gore), but...I doubt it now, haha. I think it'll be when they're done making music/taking a long-ish break.

You don't think Gore is darker than Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan? Dude, it's WAY darker. They were happy-sounding albums, haha, Gore is not. Neither lyrically nor musically is it as optimistic-sounding as the last two. Then again, I don't consider Saturday Night Wrist soft or dark.

gwenudo

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 14, 2016, 12:59 PM

They've always had heavy and aggressive elements. Always. Darkness only the first few albums in elements, but you can definitely use all of those words to describe their music as a whole. Note that he also said gentle and beautiful. People say Adrenaline was their heaviest album, and it's certainly their rawest and the most aggressive in a way, but even then they had soft, melodic aspects. So it's not like Gwenudo is saying anything crazy that doesn't describe the band.

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 12:35 PM

Sorry dude, I wasn't referring to you even though I was quoting you, haha. I was mostly agreeing, but pointing out that some people say it's a Chino album as though he's being a dictator and squashing on Stef's ideas, when the reality is Stef just wasn't putting in many ideas until later on.

Also, where did Chino say they have a plan for the next album? That's awesome. Hopefully Stef will be excited more early on and put forth some more ideas. They did say they were thinking of releasing Eros after one more album (Gore), but...I doubt it now, haha. I think it'll be when they're done making music/taking a long-ish break.

You don't think Gore is darker than Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan? Dude, it's WAY darker. They were happy-sounding albums, haha, Gore is not. Neither lyrically nor musically is it as optimistic-sounding as the last two. Then again, I don't consider Saturday Night Wrist soft or dark.
I forgot what interview he said that exactly, I'm not sure if it was the beats interview or another interview but they said they plan to tour for 2 years and then take a small break and get right back into the new album cycle!
And to your question about Gore being darker, by all means YES. It is way darker than anything theyve put out in the last 3 albums. I absolutely love it. And the only reason i say its not a deftones record is because i felt the band didnt get to put its ideas as a whole. Usually steph puts down a riff and chino does too and the rest kind of go with it. This time we had Chino put down ideas and the rest went on with it. Which is why i say its a Chino Moreno album.

gwenudo

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Apr 14, 2016, 12:50 PM

Saying that Gore isn't a Deftones record is probably the most insulting thing you can say about the album. If that was true, more than half of their discography weren't "Deftones records", sound-wise. I said it before, but to me everything from SNW up to now is Deftones' core sound, which is neither dark, nor balls to the wall heavy. I think they share a lot of tropes with post-rock and -metal bands nowadays. Atmospheric, soaring, textured and heavy when it needs to be.
The biggest insult i could say about Gore is saying its the worst album theyve ever put out and saying its not creative by any means. THATS. a big mean insult. But im not saying that because that is simply not true. And if you think the last few albums is what defines deftones, then thats also wrong IMO (please notice i said IMO) .. How exactly do you think deftones blew up? They had all those fans from ATF that came to WP and on to making S/T #2 in the billboards.. That was their peak, thats DEFTONES. Now before you say i dont like SNW, i do. Its an amazing record, its dark IMO, maybe not as heavy anymore but it sure had all elements that i kept mentioning. And honestly, DE and Koi showed all elements as well, but DE showed it more than Koi, and koi was more soft and light than any album they put out. And what i mean about Gore not being a deftones record is, deftones as a whole didnt get to make this album, Chino put his ideas down and they all went with it. Usually its both Chino and Steph throwing down ideas and everybody going with both sides, this time they only had one side to choose, and what came out was a great album, but IMO, a Chino album.

SomeOf

+ 10000000000000000000000000000000000

gwenudo  I am so agree with you on everything you said.

sooniletugo

Sergio album*