Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainnyx4

LOL @ radio friendly songs on a Deftones album. Do you guys actually listen to the radio and hear them being played or something? I can't imagine really anything on their albums being played on the radio. There just isn't much of a market for this type of music anymore.

Wit that said, I can't remember the last time I even listened to the radio.

Inkblades

Maybe radio friendly is the wrong term, but Chino definitely writes more upbeat, poppy stuff this decade than he did in the 90's and 00's. Diamond Eyes, Sextape, Butcher, Swerve City, Romantic Dreams, Xenon chorus, Crosses, etc. Poppy doesn't automatically mean bad, btw. Crosses is poppy as all get out and I think it's the best album he's released this decade. The really ironic part is that Change, one of their darker, creepier songs IMO, just happens to be their single biggest radio hit. Go figure.

illthrowROCKS@U

When I said "radio friendly," please keep in mind the context here. This is Deftones we're talking about, after all. DE was about as radio friendly as Deftones can get while still retaining who they are.

Inkblades is right. "Radio friendly," or "poppy," doesn't automatically mean bad. But it was what it was. The fans who joined during that era were accustomed to a different attitude than most of us are.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Dryalex12

Quote from: therealdaebat on Apr 18, 2016, 06:02 PM
Did some vocal extraction on doomed user to make it instrumental: https://mega.nz/#!E8wTyQoR!-1klislbozaftEj-lSuLyivtGJlSjpu1kBFbYFBvkUo

Now here is the Vocal track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFEHUS_YK3o

sooniletugo

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 19, 2016, 01:29 AM
Quote from: lahemi on Apr 18, 2016, 07:22 PM
So yeah, I just want to ask you guys: do you like H/W more than say Rosemary?

I'd say so. Rosemary's a great song, but like Poltergeist, Beware and Rapture, I just prefer the live version. Rosemary live has a bit of a cool twangy Western vibe that is lost in the studio version. Also, I kind of can't stand Stephen's retread of that repetitive ass Diamond Eyes riff at the end of the song. H/W ends with more of a cathartic high for me. I'm actually kinda glad we never got a studio version of Finger of Death, because there's a good possibility that the searing intensity of the live version would have been completely lost in a studio version.

totally agree. Rosemary album version is so flat sounding compared to the live version.

LG95

People should just stop using the term 'radio-friendly' to describe anything Deftones do. It's quite clearly bullshit and in no way descriptive of the last three records. Come up with something else.
I could float here forever

mono

No info about the instrumentals yet?

Hidalgo

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 19, 2016, 04:21 AM
Maybe radio friendly is the wrong term, but Chino definitely writes more upbeat, poppy stuff this decade than he did in the 90's and 00's. Diamond Eyes, Sextape, Butcher, Swerve City, Romantic Dreams, Xenon chorus, Crosses, etc. Poppy doesn't automatically mean bad, btw. Crosses is poppy as all get out and I think it's the best album he's released this decade. The really ironic part is that Change, one of their darker, creepier songs IMO, just happens to be their single biggest radio hit. Go figure.
when is the last time anyone here heard 'change' on the radio? it's been at least 12 years for me. they played it in 2000, & a bit in 2001 & then it was over forever. same with minerva, diamond eyes, ystb, etc. radio refuses to make any deftones song a mainstay. some singles do ok for 6 months at most, then basically never played again

deftjess

Does anyone think any song will be nominated for a grammy or album?

Cullision

I heard Tempest on the radio while I was standing in line at subway once, it was intense.

rainnyx4

It's funny that people complain about DE and KNY being radio friendly when Be Quiet and Drive and Dai the Flu were on ATF. Feature just as radio friendly melodies as anything found on those other two albums.

Also, I got into this band back in 95 when a friend gave me a mixtape with 7 Words on it and I prefer DE and KNY to S/T and Gore any day of the week.

Poltergeist

Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 20, 2016, 02:02 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 19, 2016, 04:21 AM
when is the last time anyone here heard 'change' on the radio? it's been at least 12 years for me. they played it in 2000, & a bit in 2001 & then it was over forever. same with minerva, diamond eyes, ystb, etc. radio refuses to make any deftones song a mainstay. some singles do ok for 6 months at most, then basically never played again

I hear Deftones on the radio quite regularly. KUPD here in Phoenix plays "Change" and "Swerve City" all the time, and I've heard "Prayers/Triangles" a handful of times too. They once had a Dracula segment or something and they played "Kimdracula" lol

Inkblades

Quote from: deftjess on Apr 20, 2016, 02:23 AM

Not a shot in hell. If it didn't happen for DE and KNY, it's not gonna happen for Gore.

cvthedrv

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 20, 2016, 08:36 AM
Quote from: deftjess on Apr 20, 2016, 02:23 AM

Not a shot in hell. If it didn't happen for DE and KNY, it's not gonna happen for Gore.

im thinking intantly on phantom bride, it has a legend on it, a very poppy radio friendly vibe and some balad idea on it, it's not their best song on gore but i think is very possible.

LG95

Rubicon is still my jam. Fucking love that song.
I could float here forever

pinata89

Quote from: LG95 on Apr 20, 2016, 01:14 PM
This song only makes sense If you listen to the album from start to finish. It has such a finality to it, and I can't decide if it's a sad or happy ending...very bittersweet, for me. Regardless, epic ending!

ANattyRat

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 20, 2016, 01:19 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Apr 20, 2016, 01:14 PM
This song only makes sense If you listen to the album from start to finish. It has such a finality to it, and I can't decide if it's a sad or happy ending...very bittersweet, for me. Regardless, epic ending!

That's exactly it, I can't even tell whether it's happy or sad. Or both.

(L)MIRL has become...not necessarily my favourite, but whenever I listen to it, I have to replay it a few times. The first half definitely, it's just...wonderful. I really hope they play it live.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 20, 2016, 01:45 PM
(L)MIRL has become...not necessarily my favourite, but whenever I listen to it, I have to replay it a few times. The first half definitely, it's just...wonderful. I really hope they play it live.

:)

jciraheta

am i the only one who absolutly in  love with  phantom bride , but not for the solo, its for chino in the verses ,

it has a such melancholic tone its amazing , or sad, i think chino stole the show in that song, pd.orry or my english 

Reichward

Absolutely in love is big words, but yes, it's kind of cool.

The solo is far from unique anyway.